October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Let's Talk About Root

More
16 Jul 2020 00:08 - 16 Jul 2020 00:08 #312107 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Let's Talk About... Root
Had our first brush with No-building Moles tonight and we all got thrashed. The other three factions were Lizards, Cats, and Birds. In hindsight as the Lizards it was maybe a bad idea for me to dunk on (and put into turmoil) the Birds early on when they had a lot of troops out but not many roosts or points yet. They might have been our best hope in keeping the mole population down, as the cats weren't quite able to defend all their assets from the hyper aggressive moles.

"It was a learning experience."
Last edit: 16 Jul 2020 00:08 by Jexik.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2020 09:04 #312120 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Let's Talk About... Root
Truly dire horsewhipping but it was good to see it in action.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
23 Jul 2020 00:21 - 23 Jul 2020 00:37 #312367 by Gary Sax
Another day, another beat down.

Man I just don't know about the cats. I'll play them a few more times but I feel like their main chance to win is a *very* developed meta that realizes how little of a threat they are to win. They have strong deer in a headlights vibes, and they put out so many stupid pieces that even if you are no threat to win you're still huge tempatation for any faction on the board.

This game I felt like I had a really good start. Got coffin makers out, put out a coin purse. I guess you just have to play super conservative or you're going to get whacked. I underdefended... but I also had to score points? I dunno.
Last edit: 23 Jul 2020 00:37 by Gary Sax.

More
23 Jul 2020 00:42 #312368 by Scott_F
Replied by Scott_F on topic Let's Talk About... Root
I've only played the Cats a few times, really try and avoid them. They kinda have to expand aggressively and accept things getting destroyed only to be rebuilt as long as the wood is in a safe spot from what I've seen. Coffin Makers was definitely super super annoying to me all game as a faction with few warriors for sure. I don't think you had a target on you initially, just a bit easier to attack in a few spots. I think the cats have a tougher time winning games in general though right? I'm sure the Root discord server has a lot to say about the faction balance. I'm still kinda baffled at playing Root in a tournament setting. Guess any game works in a tournament setting if enough people are into it though. Its such an inherently uneven, player driven game that trying to force balance on it seems like a bad fit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jexik

More
23 Jul 2020 00:50 #312369 by Gary Sax
Yeah, I feel you. I mean, the internet plays hardcore TI:4 tournaments which strike me as having a kingmaker at the end in like 50+% of games too...

More
23 Jul 2020 08:10 #312371 by Erik Twice
Replied by Erik Twice on topic Let's Talk About... Root
The Cats are just too vanilla and too weak in their fairness to compete. They are locked into the same number of actions and can't go beyond except with recruiting, which requires quite a bit of effort.

More
23 Jul 2020 14:21 #312390 by Jexik
I've seen the Cats win a few times. It helps if the Birds get off to a slow start and you're eventually able to get towards the end of one of the buildings so it scores more points, and then it gets knocked down and you build it back up again. I think I should have policed the Corvids a little more in this last game (right around when I messed up and hit turmoil) to prevent him from scoring so many on his plots, and we'd have also had to maybe give a little less to the Riverfolk who actually won. For either the cats or birds to win the game has to become a little grindier I think, but without getting knocked down too hard in the process. I might go back to the Despot next time - those extra points for destroying cardboard are handy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
06 Aug 2020 00:27 #312826 by Gary Sax
I feel bad for the table, I made a clear mistake in my final move of a round and just left the bottom clearing open to the birds and handed then like 7 points in this most recent tabletop simulator.

Cats still just absolutely elude me. Frustrating as fuck, it sometimes feels like they were a faction built to serve the table for mechanical purposes rather than actually win.

More
06 Aug 2020 02:18 #312828 by OhBollox
Replied by OhBollox on topic Let's Talk About... Root
old.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/i30...ot_and_oath/g08bzep/ - Leder are saying perhaps another 4 factions in the next expansion.

More
06 Aug 2020 10:13 #312829 by Gary Sax
That's a lot for a single expansion! Cole's language around this was something about the exponential growth in testing and such for each faction addition naturally limiting the number of additional factions to 4 more. Maybe they've backed off that.

I do think it's a good sign that the factions in the last one were designed by someone else (Patrick maybe?) and they were still very good.

More
06 Aug 2020 10:16 #312830 by hotseatgames
The notion of new factions does not excite me, frankly. What they have already seems to be rife with incompatible combinations.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pugnax555

More
06 Aug 2020 10:28 #312831 by Disgustipater
Not too long ago the story was two more expansions, first one with two factions and the second one with one or two more factions. Four in one box seems like a lot. I wonder what changed?

More
06 Aug 2020 10:44 #312833 by Pugnax555
Replied by Pugnax555 on topic Let's Talk About... Root
And in a few years once those new factions are realeased and have errata to balance them, then I'll consider taking a look at what they are....

More
06 Aug 2020 11:05 #312836 by Gary Sax
Do you mean because of reach or because of balance, hotseat?

More
06 Aug 2020 11:38 #312840 by Jexik
4 more factions sounds like a lot, I still haven't even played as the latest two.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.328 seconds