October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2653 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Let's Talk About Root

More
18 Mar 2022 12:16 #331718 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Let's Talk About Root
So, no guarantees because I wasn't there and don't know your friends, but my approach in that situation would be to go very combat-forward. If your opponents are feeding you cards, I'd be taking advantage of Nimble, packing a couple clearings, and then just kicking ass as much as possible. Get them to understand that there will be easier targets to pick on or you're just going to try to scour them from the map every turn. Like Jexik says, this may be an above-the-table situation where you'll have to convince them that there are easier routes to victory than picking on you. That includes using Exert (extra action) and forgoing a draw if, again, your opponents are feeding you cards, since you'll have less need of drawing. Once you get a spot cleared, drop an Extortion token and flip it on your next turn so that the cards keep coming and you're able to start crafting some decent enduring powers.

Another possibility is playing with the E&P deck, since the abilities you can craft from there are generally higher impact than the original deck, which may make your crafting feel more worthwhile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2022 13:55 #331720 by mads b.
Replied by mads b. on topic Let's Talk About Root
In hindsight I should have beefed up instead of trying to spread out. But with only four new warriors per turn and none of them in the same clearing, going all out on an attack does not seem like an option. You can try to get more with raids, but guessing it is usually the obvious choice for other players since the corvid player can't really use the extra cards that much.

More
18 Mar 2022 17:18 #331723 by Jackwraith
I mean, I keep trying to give suggestions on how it's worked for me and what could be different and you keep telling me how it won't work and the faction is fundamentally flawed so... OK. Good luck.

More
18 Mar 2022 18:05 - 18 Mar 2022 18:24 #331725 by mads b.
Replied by mads b. on topic Let's Talk About Root

Jackwraith wrote: I mean, I keep trying to give suggestions on how it's worked for me and what could be different and you keep telling me how it won't work and the faction is fundamentally flawed so... OK. Good luck.

I honestly felt like we were having a discussion about the game based on analysis of what we have experienced. From my, admittedly limited, experience it seemed like attacking wouldn't work because of the relatively few and very dispersed warriors the corvids get. But I also said that I should probably have beefed up which would probably have made that approach more viable.

So, I'm not trying to invalidate your advice or your analysis, but simply discussing a game I find very interesting and, sometimes, a bit frustrating. Sorry that it came off as me being dismissive.
Last edit: 18 Mar 2022 18:24 by mads b..

More
06 Apr 2022 22:24 #332138 by Jackwraith
Marauders/Hirelings expansions have arrived. Hoping to get them on the table this weekend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, mc

More
06 Apr 2022 22:55 #332139 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Let's Talk About Root
I should get around to playing some tts root. It'd be nice to play a bite size game length too.

More
08 Apr 2022 18:05 #332175 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Let's Talk About Root

Jackwraith wrote: Marauders/Hirelings expansions have arrived. Hoping to get them on the table this weekend.

This reminded me I had this coming. I am not a kickstartery type person... I think I've been charged for it but no email yet about shipping or whatever. Last contact said late march to the fulfilment partners, but I am in Australia, who knows. How long should I give it before I send a query do you reckon?

More
08 Apr 2022 19:49 #332177 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Let's Talk About Root
My friend across town got his on Monday and I haven’t even gotten a shipping email.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mc

More
08 Apr 2022 20:27 #332179 by Jackwraith

mc wrote: This reminded me I had this coming. I am not a kickstartery type person... I think I've been charged for it but no email yet about shipping or whatever. Last contact said late march to the fulfilment partners, but I am in Australia, who knows. How long should I give it before I send a query do you reckon?

Unfortunately for you, the boat to Australia had a snafu. This was the last update from Leder on shipping schedules:
"Australia and New Zealand
Unfortunately, the ship our container was on, had a stop in Singapore where they experienced a delay. As of last week, it seems this ship is still docked at Singapore and now has a new expected port arrival date in Australia for mid to late April now. We’re keeping a close eye on the situation and will keep everyone updated. We’ve already briefed VR Distribution and they’re prepared to begin fulfillment almost immediately as soon as our stock is in their hands.

Updated start date: late April

Updated end date: late May"

So, I'd wait for another couple months before flagging them down. Sorry about that.

@Disgustipater: There's no understanding logistics schedules unless you're running one. They ship according to what makes the most sense at the time, time-wise and money-wise. (I say this because I used to work for one.) I know it's strange that it might seem like someone right nearby is way ahead of you on that schedule, but it probably has to do with size loads delivered to that area at X price. His package got included in the limit and yours didn't. However, they're not always the most efficient when it comes to electronic traffic, so it's certainly possible that yours might simply appear even though you didn't receive an email. There are plenty of stories about people never getting one and still getting their package or even getting the shipping email after they've already received the box.

More
08 Apr 2022 20:47 #332180 by Gary Sax
Stealth possibly great addition to Root might be the landmark pack. I sometimes think Root could use more focal points on the map. The underground river map had one and I think it helps that map.

More
08 Apr 2022 23:01 #332183 by Jackwraith
Yeah, I'm geeked to try a couple of those. I think the Tower does really change the approach to the mountain map like you say and the raft feels basically essential to the lake map. It might be kinda cool to try it without it, though, It would certainly ramp the combat factor way up, since it will be so much more difficult to move around the bottom half if there aren't Otters playing. Of course, with Otters, that would totally accelerate the desire to use their movement ability, which is rarely in high demand. So, yeah, game-changing in very subtle ways.

I'm also kind of intrigued by the last round of changes to the Knights. I like that they removed some of the randomness from the artifact discovery, but adding in the Eyrie-like Retainer system feels kind of tacked-on. However, the Waystations are far more interesting than they were in earlier designs. I'm not on the Discord very often, so I missed a lot of the later changes or, more accurately, didn't feel like devoting some of my constantly in-demand attention to it. My initial feel is that they're more difficult to play, while the Hundreds feel about the same and much more accessible. We'll see how it shakes out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Gary Sax

More
09 Apr 2022 05:32 #332187 by mc
Oh sweet, thanks for the update. I'm not bothered by not getting it now or anything, as long as the boat hasn't sunk I'm good.

The locations were what tipped me over the edge with this one I think.

More
18 May 2022 04:14 #333108 by mc
Arrived today. Looks fun.

More
18 May 2022 11:44 #333118 by Gary Sax
Yeah, I've been hoping to play with the new content. Advanced setup looks low key important.

More
22 May 2022 05:23 #333192 by mc
So, uh, these rats are pretty bloody powerful, eh.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds