October 09, 2023
2493 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2696 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

What Spirit Islands are you comboing?

More
08 Jan 2019 16:27 #289428 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Spirit Island
Depends on your power, I think. You're dead if you do that and you're the beast spirit from the expansion, that's for sure!

But in all honesty I was going off your posts in other threads too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2019 11:03 #289663 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Spirit Island
Tried a couple games last night. I’m willing to eat some crow on this one, it did a lot more for me this time around.

But man am I bad a this game. Luckily I have all this talk to fall back on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike, Bernie, SaMoKo

More
09 Jan 2019 12:11 #289665 by Gary Sax
Seriously, the emotional "Aha!" in this game after 3-5 games is second to none. And the way it's perfectly set up to test your limits over the course of 30-40 games if you want to play it that much via its well-tuned "difficulty" chart is pitch perfect.

Just confirmed my stuff for the newest expansion kickstarter and I finally looked at the updates, since I generally just go in for a kickstarter and then intentionally forget about it till it shows up on my doorstep. It looks like they're going wilder and more creative with the new Spirits (e.g. Volcano) which is awesome. I had been waffling on adding the wooden tokens, but my spouse actually told me I should absolutely add the wooden token and insert options which, my spouse is definitely a pretty big gamer now, but for her to want me to buy overpriced frivolous aesthetic expansions says a lot about how the game has been received.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, Bernie, BillyBobThwarton

More
09 Jan 2019 13:50 #289670 by Bernie
Replied by Bernie on topic Spirit Island
Glad to hear you are getting into it Josh. Not sure that I ever offered to teach it to you at a really great time. Still glad to hear your are getting into it.

The new spirits look great. I can't wait for them. Diversity in how you play is what really matters in this game, atleast for me, the scenarios mix it up, as do the adversary but really its playing the same and different spirits with different power power cards that make it hum.

On a difrent note, can't wait for one of you to try Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares. We have not really talked about this spirit. This is another one that really changes up the game in some fun ways.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

More
09 Jan 2019 14:13 #289674 by Gary Sax
I have been completely avoiding that Spirit! Still never played it. I just told my spouse last night that we should bring the difficulty down a level and then try new unusual Spirits. She has been getting way into Thunderspeaker after only playing Wild and Spreading Green... it was a good call to downgrade the difficulty so she could get to know it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, Bernie

More
09 Jan 2019 20:32 - 10 Jan 2019 20:29 #289685 by Gary Sax
Holy shit we have been fucking up an important rule. We've just been flipping fear cards over when we earn them and planning around them (GULP). It may have messed with a couple of our wins at least.

I didn't realize how fundamentally I was messing that up until I decided to take Bernie's cue and try the Nightmare power, who has that specific ability as *one of its powers.*

Jesus!
Last edit: 10 Jan 2019 20:29 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bernie

More
09 Jan 2019 20:57 #289686 by SaMoKo
Replied by SaMoKo on topic Spirit Island
Welp! I would have made this mistake if I hadn’t read over all the spirits first lol

More
10 Jan 2019 08:05 #289698 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Spirit Island

SaMoKo wrote: Welp! I would have made this mistake if I hadn’t read over all the spirits first lol

Ha. Same. I was reading Nightmare before I had read the Fear rules and was wondering why that was so important. Then after a couple plays, I realized that it's a real edge for the players to know just how that card is going to be implemented, especially in Stage III, when the terminology ramps up to be more broad (i.e. instead of "Remove X Explorers", it becomes "Remove X Invaders", meaning you can sweep Cities away with the Fear card.)

More
10 Jan 2019 08:14 #289699 by Bernie
Ha, yeah that's kinda a big deal.
Bringer is just fun. Landing that 24 or more fear turn with him is ever so satisfying.
Bringer also plays well with others.

More
10 Jan 2019 20:28 #289747 by Gary Sax

Nightmares is a real motherfucker. My spouse was grumpy as well, so that might have been it too, but I felt like it was 10 turns of just barely pushing enemies around. We didn't come close to losing but it was still frustrating. Need to try it more. Good that the game still has surprises.

More
10 Jan 2019 20:36 #289751 by SaMoKo
Replied by SaMoKo on topic Spirit Island
With Bringer, I felt like I was doing really poorly and barely able to stay afloat. And then, very suddenly, we won by blitzing the fear cards.

He’s a very aggressive Spirit who plays brinkmanship with board control. His fear foreknowledge gives just enough control to stay above water until you win. Good Spirit, but man it can be tense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Bernie

More
11 Jan 2019 00:45 #289771 by Bernie
Bringer can feel that way. But then you land a turn where you flip 3 fear cards and it goes from terror level 2 to 3 and the game just melts on the spot.

The card that lets you gain a major is pretty great, 2 fear for your defense power is great. So can rolling the dice on a Major hail Mary, you can shift the game with it. or just gain the power for future turns.

I usually go energy track till I get the any symbol then go for 3 card plays.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SaMoKo

More
14 Jan 2019 17:17 #289994 by mezike
Replied by mezike on topic Spirit Island
The thing I find with Bringer is that it can cause the game to end on a bit of an anti-climactic note. The island is awash with invaders who all of a sudden just pack up and go home, which isn't quite as satisfying as directly removing them from the board. In that way Bringer is a good pairing with spirits that can easily do a lot of damage in one place so that you scare them into a death trap and get a double whammy.

In other news, it had totally slipped past me that the playtesting rules for Jagged Earth have been made available, with the relevant thing here being that they contain rules for playing without events whilst still keeping the tokens relevant. The draft rules can be found here .

"To play without Events, but keep Beasts tokens relevant:
Setup:
• Leave the Event deck in the box.
• Add tokens to each board per the usual rules. (Balanced boards: 1 on each board in the lowest-numbered land without setup icons. 1 on each board in land #2. Thematic boards: as printed.)
• Add 1 extra Fear card to Stage II of the Fear deck.
• Don’t use a Blight Card where the Blighted Island side has 2 Blight/player or only immediate effects. [For you, that means playing with one of the 2 Blight cards from the base game.]
Gameplay:
• Once during Invader Stage II and once during Invader Stage III, the Spirits may command all Beasts on the island during the Spirit Phase. (Consensus is required.)
• When you do this, each Beasts token in a land with Invaders does 1 Damage or 1 Fear, players’ choice. Each Beasts token in a land without Invaders may be Pushed to an adjacent land."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, Bernie

More
18 Jan 2019 23:48 #290251 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Spirit Island
Victory. We're still on easy mode (extra Growth, no Blight card, standard Invaders) but we got a win in Terror level 2 when I used Lead the Furious Assault as a fast ability and destroyed the last town on the island. It was a three-player: me, my girlfriend Tricia, and our friend, Larissa. Larissa was the first-timer, but wanted to play Rampant Green, since she works for an environmental consultation firm. Tricia was determined to have an edge in the Fear game, so she took Shadows. I know you guys said that Green works really well with Earth, but I didn't feel like playing Earth again, so I took a new path and tried Thunderspeaker. Between her and Shadows, that meant we had a really Dahan-focused approach, so we were very conscious of protecting the natives wherever we could (not least because them dying wipes out my Presence, too.)

That trio actually worked really well. I made collecting Elements on power cards a point of emphasis to everyone, so everyone had ready access to their innates. That combo also has tremendous access to power cards, since Thunderspeaker gets two on recall and both Shadows and Green draw one on two of their three Growth options. We reshuffled the minor powers a few times and picked up multiple majors. Entwined Power was really useful, since both Shadows and Green can achieve a nice spread of Presence, so we could drop 2 players' minor powers all over the map. I had a little trouble with Thunderspeaker's Growth options, since they're pretty extreme and I had a couple turns where I had cards but no Energy or Energy but not enough card play options. But once I got a couple good-sized groups of Dahan, I could do massive damage by shifting them this way and that.

As soon as we got the win, Larissa looked up and said: "I like this game! I would play this again." I still feel like AP is a problem. It took us about three hours to play, which isn't bad, but a lot of that time is still spent agonizing over cards and combinations of moves. I know that will improve as we get more familiar with both the game and the different spirits, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike

More
19 Jan 2019 00:02 #290252 by Gary Sax
Hell yeah! Congrats!

Yeah, AP can be a problem. I would recommend that you keep playing the same spirits for a couple games if you have people who need a lot of time to read cards. It really helps to know what is on your opening cards and your board. That reduces AP quite a bit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.387 seconds