QE (Quantitative Easing)

More
11 Jul 2019 16:30 #299568 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic QE (Quantitative Easing)
Damn young people and their damn stupid game initials. If that football comes into my yard ONE MORE TIME I'm calling the cops.

I looked at "QE" and tried my best to figure it out on my own and couldn't. It wasn't until I got to your reference to "trillion" that I figured it out.

At times this thread is impenetrable, because I don't read it consistently. Someone will just pick up in the middle of the three or four conversations that are going on and say "I really like the way the scoring works" as if that's enough footing to understand what their talking about. I try to mention the name of the game at the top of each post when I'm responding to someone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2019 16:42 #299570 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic QE (Quantitative Easing)
Moved the 3 comments above from the "What have you..." thread, to the Q.E. thread. Sagrilarus' comments are in reference regarding acronym and difficulty following discussions are in reference to the "What have you..." thread.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
11 Jul 2019 17:03 #299572 by lj1983
Replied by lj1983 on topic QE (Quantitative Easing)
In general I agree that acronyms suck...but Sag complains about acronyms where the meaning of the acronym is literally in the post he's complaining about.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
11 Jul 2019 17:06 #299573 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic QE (Quantitative Easing)
@lj1983

That comment was moved from another thread. See my note above.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lj1983

More
11 Jul 2019 18:19 #299577 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic QE (Quantitative Easing)
It's significantly funnier in this thread without that context though ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, lj1983

More
13 Jul 2019 12:53 #299612 by Ah_Pook
i kinda think my group broke QE. more details here, i wont rehash it in two places. id be curious if anyone can brain up a counter play that isn't just "well dont play QE then", as i think the game is clever and fun.

www.boardgamegeek.com/article/32449908
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
13 Jul 2019 13:32 #299613 by Sagrilarus
So what exactly is the WC in this game? I’m thinking it’s the person with the most purchases, but the single person that spent the most is disqualified. Is that correct?

More
13 Jul 2019 13:47 #299614 by Ah_Pook
each tile is inherently worth 1-4 points, and has a suit and a country. you get bonus points for sets of the same suit, and sets of different suits, and tiles that match your country. you also get up to 6 points per game for bidding zero (up to 3 times, once per round, 2 points per), and 7 points at the end if you spent the least total. most points at the end wins, unless you spent the most total in which case you are disqualified from the win.

More
13 Jul 2019 20:12 - 13 Jul 2019 20:18 #299617 by Erik Twice
Replied by Erik Twice on topic QE (Quantitative Easing)
The strategy you mention. on its own, ensures one of the players loses the game, while the others tie for a 0 point victory. Alternatively, someone wins a single tile and wins alone while the player using this tactic loses and the others lose for not having any points.

Note that one player making higher bids should also cause the other players to raise their bids. And note there's not any significant difference between bidding 1 Million, 10 Million and 100 Millions because bids are completely relative. A higher number just gives players more precision in their bids.
Last edit: 13 Jul 2019 20:18 by Erik Twice.

More
13 Jul 2019 20:29 - 13 Jul 2019 20:37 #299619 by Sagrilarus
So why is this game called Quantitative Easing? It sounds like Russian Roulette would be as apt a title.
Last edit: 13 Jul 2019 20:37 by Sagrilarus.

More
14 Jul 2019 05:06 #299628 by Erik Twice
Replied by Erik Twice on topic QE (Quantitative Easing)

Sagrilarus wrote: So why is this game called Quantitative Easing? It sounds like Russian Roulette would be as apt a title.

Quantitative Easing is an economic policy. Basically, a central bank increases the money supply (that is, "prints more money") to buy financial assets and drive their values up. The idea is that the Goverment can use these purcharses to stimulate the economy when all other venues have failed.

The idea of the game is that you can limitlessly increase the money supply to give worth to a series of assets. This kind of resembles Quantitative easing, though technically speaking, QE is about financial assets, not industries or anything of the sort.

More
14 Jul 2019 08:03 #299629 by Sagrilarus
I understand the concept, I just don't see how this models that very well. If at all.

More
14 Jul 2019 09:58 - 14 Jul 2019 09:58 #299630 by mezike
Replied by mezike on topic QE (Quantitative Easing)
There are two quotes that annoyed the heck out of me in that BGG thread.

"If they continue to do this in every game they play they will never win and none of the other players will experience the real game." Or, in other words, you dun did played it wrong.

And...

"It’s not so much the game which is broken, but the way your opponent is playing. If your opponent continues to play that way, they’re simply ruining the experience for the rest of the players." Or, in other words, you dun did played it wrong.

If the actual designer cannot explain coherent strategies other than advising you not to play it the wrong way then I wonder why I would want to play this over High Society?
Last edit: 14 Jul 2019 09:58 by mezike.

More
14 Jul 2019 14:04 #299635 by Sagrilarus
Yeah, the part in the thread that amused me was that you mentioned that this guy won several times using that strategy and none of them seem to address that. They all seem to say that you can't win that way.

More
17 Jul 2019 23:18 #299762 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic QE (Quantitative Easing)

Sagrilarus wrote: So why is this game called Quantitative Easing? It sounds like Russian Roulette would be as apt a title.

I posted this in the other thread on Dave's review, fwiw:

"Going to go into the weeds here because I think it's fun when a game is actually trying to make a point through play.

Quantitative easing does refer to a form of stimulating the economy by printing money, but I think the sublety of the term is worth poking here. Quantitative easing is specifically a way to bolster the economy not by altering interest rates by buying and selling government bonds from government supply (normal way to do this) but by *buying large amounts of everyday normal market assets with newly printed money*. Modern QE was practiced in the wake of the great recession as countries ran out of interest rate leverage (you can't set nominal interest rate below 0) and still needed to stimulate. The Japanese government has done a huge amount of QE for a long time so the government has this huge and nutty balance sheet of things it technically owns.

Why mention this? Not as an "actually," but I think it's making the game more thematic when you think of how it plays. It's encouraging players to think about what "value" actually means for everyday assets and not just in terms of currency numbers. What QE is referring to here is the idea that every asset's nominal value in a fiat money economy is an arbitrary number ultimately grounded in trust both that the government will pay back its loans, you will need/be forced to use the money to pay your taxes, and that ultimately others within your country will accept the money for goods and services. So a sort of elaborate social contract based on trust, somewhat coerced by the government (re: tax payment specifically). The value of actual assets in nominal terms is completely arbitrary, and I think that's what this game is trying to illustrate.

Then there's the inflation angle on this but the game isn't really out to teach a big lesson on inflation stuff, which is fine."
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, Erik Twice, dontbecruel

Moderators: FrohikeGary Sax
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds