October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Marvel Champions

More
14 Mar 2021 18:53 #320563 by Kmann
Kang is such a great pack. Full of narrative flavour while also being a proper challenge. For me it really captures the feeling of playing through a one-off movie adventure or one-shot comic. It's great.

Quicksilver is finally arriving on the doorstep today, sadly Scarlett Witch isn't expected in the country until later this month.

Be fun putting QS through his paces but what I'm really hanging out for is the Guardians box.

New heroes are cool and all but I'm really wanting to square off against new villains. While I obviously haven't played every combo of hero/villain, I have played this game a lot and am ready for the surprise/freshness that a new baddie brings.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2021 14:52 #320603 by Ah_Pook
Yea I'm extremely extremely excited about the Galaxy's Most Wanted box next month.

More
15 Mar 2021 16:33 #320610 by Kmann
Well Quicksilver's first outing can only be labelled a complete disaster...

Currently I've been losing with Hawkeye & Black Widow against expert Klaw with the Anachronauts modular. As Klaw was set-up I subbed Black Widow out and sent in my boy QS with the hopes of running rings around the villain and achieving a razzle-dazzle victory.

We start strong. Opening move QS zips around to singlehandedly clear the opening side scheme that gives Klaw a bonus 10 HP and an extra threat token each round. Hawkeye shoots a vibranium arrow getting first blood on Klaw and dealing a respectable 6HP damage as well as landing a basic attack.

We go into the villain phase feeling confident.

Klaw's turn. He attacks QS first who can only defend for 1. Klaw takes his first boost card gets a couple of damage and then draws his second which is the Anachronaut that allows him to take two more boost cards. One of those is another Anachronaut that allows him to take another boost card.

By the time all the attack points are added up QS is stone cold dead. The first attack of the first round of his first game. This is not the fast gameplay style I was looking for... :laugh:

RIP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, Ah_Pook

More
15 Mar 2021 17:24 #320612 by boothwah
Expert Klaw with Anachronauts is arguably the hardest encounter available right now. Pulling their boosts is murderous - You need a lot of stuns or a geared out protection build or both or a super cheap chump blocking ally strat.

Maybe Zola with Doomsday chair might be as difficult, but it doesn't have the same multi-level start up octane of 2 minions plus two crappy side schemes plus a villain that pulls multiple boosts.

Red Skull with Legions of Hydra or Doomsday Chair is a real gas too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kmann

More
15 Mar 2021 19:25 #320626 by Kmann
"Expert Klaw with Anachronauts is arguably the hardest encounter available right now." - I'm glad to hear this, I was beginning to think I'd lost all my hard-earned MC mojo... :laugh:

More
15 Mar 2021 21:30 #320645 by Ah_Pook
Klaw + Anachronauts is really fun. Their boosts are so nasty.

I stomped expert Ultron with the same QS/SW decks that stomped the expert campaign, so I guess theyre officially Good. i ran them up against expert Klaw w/ Power Drain too just for a laugh. Ended up with 3 acceleration tokens, which wasn't enough for Klaw to ever present any kind of a threat.

More
16 Mar 2021 17:30 #320720 by boothwah
I might be arsed to right up a proper article-ish bit on this - but putting a pin in it here for now - With the release of the last few packs I find for a fair number of heroes that lack resource acceleration as a part of their kit, I am going more and more to the "basic package"

2x Power in all of Us
3 x Double resources
Avengers Mansion
Helicarrier
Quincarrier
Nick Fury
Iron Heart
Spider-Man (Miles)
War Machine
Mockingbird
Lockjaw (for most heroes)

For my recent Scarlet Witch build, it was all of the above + Sorcerer Supreme, Endurance, and 3 x that new 0 cost mystic tutor, leaving me room for a Skilled Investigator, Heroic Intuition, and 4 thwart events for my "Justice" build.

Ran like a dream.

I think we are going to see a lot more mostly grey builds on the horizon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Ah_Pook, Kmann

More
17 Mar 2021 10:30 #320739 by blatz
I don't really care for most of the art on the official playmats but one thing they are good for is getting your kids to play this with you. My daughter has always enjoyed the game and will play it with me when I ask her but now that she gets to lay her cards out on a big colorful Black Panther mat, she's genuinely excited to play and even asks to :) Also, she chose Black Panther. How cool is she?!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, DarthJoJo, Ah_Pook

More
17 Mar 2021 11:08 #320741 by Shellhead
I am still struggling to get better at playing Black Widow, but it seems like she would be a valuable team member against Klaw + Anachronauts. Her ability to prep against treachery cards and boosts could somewhat blunt the impact of Klaw's blasts.

More
17 Mar 2021 17:16 #320760 by Ah_Pook

boothwah wrote: .
Maybe Zola with Doomsday chair might be as difficult, but it doesn't have the same multi-level start up octane of 2 minions plus two crappy side schemes plus a villain that pulls multiple boosts.

Red Skull with Legions of Hydra or Doomsday Chair is a real gas too.

Sometime when I really want to get kicked in the teeth I'll try Zola with Anachronauts...

More
17 Mar 2021 23:10 #320775 by Kmann

Shellhead wrote: I am still struggling to get better at playing Black Widow, but it seems like she would be a valuable team member against Klaw + Anachronauts. Her ability to prep against treachery cards and boosts could somewhat blunt the impact of Klaw's blasts.

I'm also having a difficult time with Black Widow but enjoying trying to get my head around her play style. Well, I was. She's still benched while I 'cult of the new' with Quicksilver... :laugh:

One problem is that I haven't fine tuned any of my decks for Klaw and The Anachronauts, which I'm increasingly realising is a fatal mistake. They really need to be. I'm fairly new to deckbuilding so tend to slowly swap and change cards as I identify deck weaknesses so it's a bit of a long process.

With Black Widow I wasn't getting time to set up her board and survive attacks and remove the continually escalating threat - which was her designated role in the team. I've been using Protection but may rebuild her with Justice to keep a lid on the threat situation - although that opens a world of problems in the survivability stakes.

The other problem is that Klaw is just a hard bastard who can - and routinely does - kill you in one turn. Last night after about an hour of play I was doing pretty decent. I had Hawkeye sitting on 10hp and then he got wiped out in one attack from Klaw drawing those damned Anachronaut boost cards.

The closest I've got to victory was battling Klaw down to 14hp on level 3. So close! That was when I was still using the Black Widow deck. So QS might soon find himself on the bench if he doesn't start bringing his A game...

More
18 Mar 2021 09:20 - 18 Mar 2021 09:21 #320790 by Ah_Pook
When in doubt put in more cheap allies to block for you :)
Last edit: 18 Mar 2021 09:21 by Ah_Pook.

More
18 Mar 2021 18:23 #320833 by Kmann

Ah_Pook wrote: When in doubt put in more cheap allies to block for you :)

Yep! Both decks now have a bunch. I'm really digging Multiple Man in this match-up. For his cost of 4 I first get to do 3 thwart or 3 damage, spread out as I see fit, and then I get 3 blocks. I play with two heroes so if I can pull off a stun while even just one Multiple Man is left on the table then I get two attack rounds 'safe' from Klaw. Which is invaluable.

He's expensive but as soon as I draw him he goes on the table, no matter what else is in my hand. To get that value out of him he needs to be played immediately.

More
20 Mar 2021 19:53 #320941 by Shellhead
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." -- Mike Tyson

The conventional wisdom seems to be that the Wrecking Crew is too easy, but that hasn't been my (limited) experience so far. I fought them last night with Captain Marvel (Aggression) and Ant-Man (Leadership), and it went right down to the wire.

Normal strategy for Marvel Champions is that you build up your hero in the early turns with upgrades, support, and allies, then switch to more proactive attacking and thwarting. But while you are doing that, the Wrecking Crew is punching you in the face, hard and often. Their side-schemes are really more like special attacks, and they are all good at breaking down anything you build up. Thunderball and Bulldozer are murdering your allies, and Piledriver is smashing your upgrades and support, while Wrecker is giving out extra actions to his team.

On the second to last turn, my very battered Captain Marvel and Ant-Man just had Piledriver left, and Piledriver got in a surprise second attack that knocked the Captain out of the game. Fortunately Ant-Man and his buddy Giant-Man were able to finish off Piledriver, because the Main Scheme was going to end the game at the start of Piledriver's turn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, DarthJoJo, Ah_Pook

More
21 Mar 2021 10:54 #320971 by Shellhead
Picked up Scarlet Witch, Hulk, and Dr. Strange yesterday. I looked through Scarlet Witch's cards, and she seems to one of the most powerful characters they have published. Some of her cards do accelerate the rate of exhaustion of the encounter deck, so maybe the offset is that a Scarlet Witch game will tend to see one or maybe two extra threat acceleration tokens. Also, she has two identical obligation cards instead of the usual one, so it's clear that FFG knows she is more powerful.

Then I blindly tested Dr. Strange (protection) and Hulk (aggression) against Klaw plus MODOK. That was a tough combo, and I shouldn't have let Klaw keep his attachments for half the game, but it's expensive (3 cards with 3 different icons) to get rid of them. So my guys got stunned multiple times each, but Night Nurse and one of Strange's invocations made it easy to get rid of the stuns. MODOK showed up twice and got one of his reboot attachments, so I effectively had to beat him 3 times. In the end, we lost due to the main scheme getting completed. Hulk can just barely thwart at all, and without Justice cards, Dr. Strange is just average at thwarting and easily distracted by all his other goodies. I plan to re-play this match-up soon. And I suspect that either Hulk or Dr. Strange might have fared better either alone or paired up with Black Widow (Justice), the Justice deck that I have the most trouble playing.

Dr. Strange has an interesting deck and his invocations seem to be underpriced, but he was not at all broken the way BGG players think. This would not be the first time that I have suspected players there of suffering from groupthink. Of course, many of them are playing expert level, with deckbuilding, and the majority of them only play with 1 or 2 heroes at a time. I prefer basic for now, with anywhere from 1 to 4 heroes. Anyway, Doc got better late in the game when he finally got both his Cloak and Eye into play.

Hulk is also not as bad as BGGers think. They seem overly upset when a hero defaults to four cards, but the characters that do so tend to deliver powerful attacks. I can easily see where a deck designer could really lead into the aggression/physical resource cards and turn Hulk into a weapon of mass destruction. I was lucky to start the game with an upgrade that gives Hulk +4 hit points and Retaliate 1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kmann

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds