October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2692 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Marvel Champions

More
21 Mar 2021 11:07 #320974 by Gary Sax
I think online meta focused players might also struggle with the idea that FFG made some characters simpler and more one dimensional on purpose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Kmann

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2021 11:15 - 21 Mar 2021 11:17 #320976 by Ah_Pook
It's not that Hulk can't be effective or is one dimensional/simple, it's that given his hero cards and his having to discard his hand and his 4 hand limit he is way WAY more prone to just having dead turns than anyone else. If you have other players throw him card draws he can be good, but he's definitely playing with a handicap that no other hero is.
Last edit: 21 Mar 2021 11:17 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
21 Mar 2021 11:22 #320978 by Shellhead
I had the same number of dead turns with both Hulk and Doc in that game: one each. Hulk had a turn where he was forced to discard a couple of cards due to damage from a special Klaw attack, plus he was stunned. Doc's dead turn was when he drew a full hand of junk while his available invocation spell was not currently relevant. plus he was tapped from defending and didn't have the Cloak yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
21 Mar 2021 11:44 #320980 by Ah_Pook
I mean it's a card game, if you draw well things will work out no matter what hero you're playing with. It's significantly easier to draw well with Dr. Strange than Hulk in my experience though :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Kmann

More
21 Mar 2021 17:51 #320996 by Kmann
I really like Hulk and find him a lot of fun to play. I play expert with two characters and only play him aggression because you have to let Hulk be Hulk. I load him with attacks, including some classics from the Basic set like Haymaker etc, and let him go to town.

I took him and She-Hulk through the Wrecking Crew and then the Red Skull campaign and it was great fun. She-Hulk on Justice to thwart and Hulk bringing the bash. I get why people are upset but I have fun when I use him and enjoy the challenge he presents.

Although it is crazy that Hawkeye with his bow (which 9 times out of 10 you will get first turn) has a Basic attack of 3 which is the same as a pre-buffed Hulk.

More
22 Mar 2021 09:43 #321009 by Shellhead

Kmann wrote: I really like Hulk and find him a lot of fun to play. I play expert with two characters and only play him aggression because you have to let Hulk be Hulk. I load him with attacks, including some classics from the Basic set like Haymaker etc, and let him go to town.

I took him and She-Hulk through the Wrecking Crew and then the Red Skull campaign and it was great fun. She-Hulk on Justice to thwart and Hulk bringing the bash. I get why people are upset but I have fun when I use him and enjoy the challenge he presents.

Although it is crazy that Hawkeye with his bow (which 9 times out of 10 you will get first turn) has a Basic attack of 3 which is the same as a pre-buffed Hulk.

It seems that most players feel that Leadership is the best aspect, but I find that a Justice aspect becomes crucial as the player count increases. I will do some experimenting in the near future, but I have a feeling that Hulk can probably hold his own in solo play, but needs a Justice teammate at higher player counts to keep the main scheme under control.

Yeah, the Hawkeye base Atk bothers me a little, the same way it bothers me that Black Widow has a higher Def than Iron Man. And some of the minions have absurdly high stats for random mooks. But so far, it appears that all the game expansions have been thoroughly playtested and balanced. Solitaire and co-op games should always be well playtested, because it's easy for the game designer to do all the early testing before getting a fairly refined design in front of other playtesters. So I can live with some minor unthematic details if it serves the overall game balance. The alternative would have been a more faithful representation where certain characters (Thor, Iron Man) are completely superior to certain other characters (Black Widow, Hawkeye), and that wouldn't be as good a game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook, Kmann

More
22 Mar 2021 20:54 - 22 Mar 2021 20:56 #321053 by Ah_Pook
speaking of Klaw + Anachronauts, i played Aggression Ant-Man + Justice Ms. Marvel vs him tonight. lots of fun, if you want to watch the VOD check it out here (its the second game in the stream) . I had been wanting to try those decks out to use Surprise Attack (1 cost 4dmg when you change form) w/ Ant-Man and Mutitasking (1 cost 2 threat from 2 different schemes) and Turn The Tide (0 cost 3 dmg after you clear all the threat from a scheme) w/ Ms. Marvel (Embiggen and Shrink make those cards SO GOOD). i threw the decks together like 5 minutes before streaming, but they worked a treat. very fun villain setup. you really need to have constant blockers (and hopefully some stunning also), since the Anachronaut boost effects are so nasty you really dont want to ever take an attack (especially once you hit stage 3 and he can attack for 8 without any of his upgrades or extra boost cards).

edit: i wish one of the Anachronauts had a boost to give an attack overkill for maximum awfulness.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2021 20:56 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kmann

More
23 Mar 2021 09:45 #321063 by Shellhead
Since my previous game was already sitting out, I just re-shuffled everything and put Scarlet Witch into the mix. So, Dr. Strange (Protection), Scarlet Witch (Justice), and Hulk (Aggression) vs Klaw plus Modok. It's going well so far. Dr. Strange has built up a very nice array of upgrades and support. Scarlet Witch keeps burning through her stuff, but often seems to have just the right thing for any given turn. Hulk has had a rougher time of it, with some forced discards and loss of upgrades. Before taking a break for the night, Hulk had a ridiculous hand, consisting of four cards that did nothing but provide a total of 10(!) resources. Fortunately, Dr. Strange was able to tap the Helicarrier to give Hulk another card, and he got a decent attack card, so not a dead turn. When I halted for the night, Klaw (I) was at 15 hit points, his main scheme (I) was at 0, and all of the heroes were moderately banged up. However, thanks to Klaw's double-boost attacks and Scarlet Witch's various effects, there are now 3 acceleration tokens on the main scheme, so Klaw can go from 0 to 18 in 3 turns or less if we don't keep thwarting aggressively.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
23 Mar 2021 23:10 #321123 by Shellhead
Picked up where I left off, and suddenly picked up a lot of momentum. Thanks to allies and Strange dealing out Tough cards to the team for two turns in a row, I had 4 turns of not tapping my heroes and really going to work on Klaw. One big turn of thwarting, then we knocked Klaw into his phase 2. Managed to thwart away the Immortal Klaw side-scheme and just hammered on Klaw for three turns, then finished him off. Fun game, even though Scarlet Witch and Hulk never really got a nice set of upgardes and supports together.

More
23 Mar 2021 23:40 #321125 by Kmann

Shellhead wrote: Hulk had a ridiculous hand, consisting of four cards that did nothing but provide a total of 10(!) resources.

Ah yes, classic Hulk.

More
23 Mar 2021 23:43 #321126 by Kmann

Shellhead wrote: I can live with some minor unthematic details if it serves the overall game balance. The alternative would have been a more faithful representation where certain characters (Thor, Iron Man) are completely superior to certain other characters (Black Widow, Hawkeye), and that wouldn't be as good a game.

Yes, I totally agree. I think they're doing a stellar job of keeping the game balanced and fun.

More
24 Mar 2021 12:19 - 24 Mar 2021 12:22 #321154 by Ah_Pook
Got my preorder processing email from asmodee about Galaxy's Most Wanted, so that's probably a week or so out. A ton of new cards and stuff were spoiled on a live stream the other night as well, if you're interested. It's all online at Hall of Heroes. Some real fun looking stuff. I'm excited!
Last edit: 24 Mar 2021 12:22 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Mar 2021 05:07 #321399 by Ah_Pook
A person in my twitch chat last night turned me on to this custom scenario The Danger Room, which doesn't have any new rules or new cards. It looks super fun imo, and I figured I'd pass it along if anyone here wants to check it out. Tons of nasty minions, no standard encounter set... Looks cool! Plus there's an interesting writeup about the developement process.

have-at-thee-lcg.blogspot.com/2021/03/th...l-champions.html?m=1

More
30 Mar 2021 17:14 #321452 by boothwah
Cap's Kooky quartet was succesful at hosing expert Kang - but i was reminded why I haven't played as many 4 handed games - 2 and a half nights - and by the end, the wife wanted the spare room table back. So I've spent the last week just randomizing a solo set up on the naouak.github.io/marvel-lcg-randomizer/

I reroll if I get a hero/aspect I've played to death - Fun games, and they clock in at 30-40ish minutes deckbuilding included.

I can't wait for GMW to hit, but at the same time, I'm realizing through this little experiment how much more there is to mine in the pile of stuff I already have.

I can't wait to get back to playing multi-player with this again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook, Kmann

More
30 Mar 2021 22:46 #321473 by Kmann
The Danger Room sounds aptly named.

The designer notes also made for a great read.

Galaxy's Most Wanted doesn't even have a release date here yet so I've got a feeling I'm gonna have plenty of time to take a run at it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.349 seconds