October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Marvel Champions

More
15 Apr 2021 15:44 #322168 by Shellhead
For what it's worth, most of those single cards were $0.25 each. I think that the most expensive ones were Wasp and Thor, at $1.00 each. However, shipping was also about $7.00, which is outrageous for half a deck of playing cards.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2021 20:41 #322326 by Ah_Pook
played Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch against expert Nebula and Ronan tonight, standalone. that pair completely dominated the Red Skull content, and they pretty well dominated Nebula as well. Ronan... Ronan is just rough. Its extremely hard to deal with Ronan 3 when he has 3 (or 6) attacks worth of overkill and piercing, cant be stunned or confused, and is attacking for base 7 damage before getting 1 or 2 boost cards. let alone once he starts pulling extra attack encounter cards on top of that (which he will, since you pull an extra encounter card every round no matter what against him). But! He at least felt possibly beatable? just going to be down to RNG it seems like, even with wildly powerful heroes/decks.

So my main takeaways are
1) the campaign difficulty specifically is out of whack. they throw harder stuff at you in the campaign, and it gets harder the better you do. the upgrade cards you get are NOT enough to counteract this. i honestly don't think the expert campaign is winnable with the currently available cardpool, without god RNG. even with god RNG it might not be? i would be curious to set up expert campaign Ronan and choose my hand each round just to see if I could beat him that way... i have my doubts. Let alone a deck that could beat Expert Infiltrate the Museum and then also Expert Ronan (since in the expert campaign you can't change your deck between villains). i really don't know how this got out of playtesting in its current state, unless theyre about to release cards that trivialize everything that has come before and they balanced around those.

2) outside of the campaign, i feel like these villains are certainly a step up in difficulty but not beyond the realm of being fun. im on the fence about Ronan, but I feel like everyone else is cool. Expert Collector is basically a deckbuilding puzzle standalone, which is an interesting change of pace but hopefully not a road they go much further down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, Kmann

More
20 Apr 2021 09:40 #322336 by Shellhead
I have been continuing to play Cap's Kooky Quartet against the Red Skull campaign. Absorbing Man was a reasonably fun opponent, and we managed to shut him down in just 8 turns. Taskmaster was a lot more trouble, starting with the decision each turn to either take a point of damage or add a point to the main scheme. Cap and Quicksilver each got knocked down to 1 hit point during the course of things, but Hawkeye really got his act together this time around, and Scarlet Witch is always good. We got him in the end, and picked up all four free allies along the way, but I am worried that this team might not be able to beat the Red Skull. But Zola and the Skull will need to wait for now, as I am ready to try out Cursed City. Also, I have an old friend in town for a couple of weeks, and he is hoping to play some board games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook, Kmann

More
21 Apr 2021 12:33 #322390 by Ah_Pook
Incredibly, FFG finally updated the Rules Reference.

boardgamegeek.com/thread/2645207/rrg-updated

That thread has pertinent changes being discussed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat

More
21 Apr 2021 12:50 #322391 by jeb
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, boothwah, Ah_Pook

More
21 Apr 2021 17:11 #322412 by Ah_Pook
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, boothwah, Kmann

More
25 Apr 2021 17:44 - 25 Apr 2021 20:04 #322525 by Kmann
After being knocked around by expert Klaw and the bloody Anachronauts for over a month the villainous power combo finally got what was coming to them; a bruising defeat!

I also completed my self-imposed challenge of using Protection and Justice to do so. These are the two aspects I've used the least so wanted to get them out of the box. Justice was great here as there's a lot of schemes but Protection caused me some headaches to get used to playing.

I went through a few different hero combos to get to the win. Ironically I think if I'd stuck with my starting pair of Black Widow and Hawkeye I probably would have won sooner. When I swapped BW out I was getting really close to victory. Back then I don't think I realised how well I was actually doing...

The eventual victors were protection Quicksilver and justice Scarlett Witch. A classic pair and a lot of fun to play.

I now look forward to letting the Anachronauts and Klaw gather a lot of dust.
Last edit: 25 Apr 2021 20:04 by Kmann.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, boothwah, sornars, Ah_Pook

More
27 Apr 2021 08:14 - 27 Apr 2021 08:27 #322599 by Ah_Pook
I beat expert Ronan last night, heavily asterixed. I redrew an encounter card that would have one shot a hero like 8 minutes into the game (it was my second attempt and I just didn't feel like resetting everything back again so soon) and I missed an effect that possibly would have made us lose on threat in the back half, but it at least proves that it's possible. I think I'm done ever playing expert Ronan. Success is down to RNG, and it's tuned for you to fail. A LOT. Specifically the 2 copies of Fanaticism just kill you a lot of the time, especially in concert with all the extra attacks in his deck. If you just took those 2 cards out I think he would be a way better scenario. Possibly he's balanced specifically around playing with 4 characters? Not sure on that front, but he seems actually impossible true solo and wildly improbable with 2 heroes. I'm curious to see what anti Ronan tech emerges, but I don't think I want to play vs him any more personally.

Edit: I should note that I was using the Maximoff duo, who absolutely dominated everything I had thrown at them prior to Ronan.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2021 08:27 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah, sornars, Kmann

More
27 Apr 2021 17:49 #322621 by Kmann

Ah_Pook wrote: Success is down to RNG, and it's tuned for you to fail.

This just sounds like bad game design. I would really like to hear a decent interview with the designers about the choices that were made with the GMW box.

I haven't played GMW yet - it's not available here yet- but it sounds like you need top tier (Cap, Strange etc) just to get close to a win and even then it's gonna come down to the luck of the draw.

I'd also like to know if this is going to be the new baseline difficulty for the game or if following the negative feedback online they'll back away from this particular cliff going forward.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
27 Apr 2021 18:21 #322628 by boothwah

Ah_Pook wrote: I beat expert Ronan last night, heavily asterixed. I redrew an encounter card that would have one shot a hero like 8 minutes into the game (it was my second attempt and I just didn't feel like resetting everything back again so soon) and I missed an effect that possibly would have made us lose on threat in the back half, but it at least proves that it's possible. I think I'm done ever playing expert Ronan. Success is down to RNG, and it's tuned for you to fail. A LOT. Specifically the 2 copies of Fanaticism just kill you a lot of the time, especially in concert with all the extra attacks in his deck. If you just took those 2 cards out I think he would be a way better scenario. Possibly he's balanced specifically around playing with 4 characters? Not sure on that front, but he seems actually impossible true solo and wildly improbable with 2 heroes. I'm curious to see what anti Ronan tech emerges, but I don't think I want to play vs him any more personally.

Edit: I should note that I was using the Maximoff duo, who absolutely dominated everything I had thrown at them prior to Ronan.

I'm going my first run through GMW on standard atm with Justice Captain Marvel and Protection Groot and it's been fun - just defeated Collector 2 - on to Nebula - Haven't had any hiccups yet - I am planning on packing Target Aquired as my Ronan tech.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook, Kmann

More
28 Apr 2021 08:42 - 28 Apr 2021 08:47 #322636 by Ah_Pook
I think the Standard campaign is tuned pretty well, if you're used to playing Expert previously. Ronan is still a pain in the ass, and has tons of potential to just kill you in the first turn, but he's at least doable. Personally I think they really missed the mark with the Expert campaign, and Expert Ronan. The other scenarios are good in standalone Expert.
Last edit: 28 Apr 2021 08:47 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah, Kmann

More
28 Apr 2021 09:38 #322637 by Shellhead
Ronan raises the bar too high for this game. When they inevitably release Thanos at some point, they will either need to make him impossible to beat, or endlessly hear people say, "Thanos is a challenge, but he is no Ronan." In both the comics and movies, there is never any doubt that Thanos is superior to Ronan the Accuser.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah, Ah_Pook

More
28 Apr 2021 14:44 #322659 by boothwah
Yeah - standard campaign is about = to a tad below expert in terms of complexity in previous scenarios. Completely manageable with average deck building. Not for people that are still running starter decks though. I don't think that's a bad thing at all.

I have looked at the expert ramp ups and it appears to be closer to Expert plus (or playing on heroic for Ronan) - For now, running standard with some of my favorite decks will be fine and a worthy but not overwhelming challenge.

There's a bunch of rubes on the facebook page and reddit throwing out all kinds of tweaks to the campaign to lower the difficulty of expert - IMHO you don't need to change the rules, just switch out modules.

More
28 Apr 2021 18:40 #322668 by Kmann
Thanks for the replies on the difficulty. Hearing that GMW's Standard mode is roughly equatable to current Expert puts the box back into consideration.

More
03 May 2021 22:15 - 03 May 2021 22:26 #322828 by Kmann
Heard some breaking news - to me at least - at the start of Team Covenant's game stream today. They talked about the GMW difficulty saying that one of the designers - unnamed - had got in touch with them to clarify the GMW difficulty level.

Word is that the updated and quickly pulled down RRG details this clearly, but the gist is that "expert mode" and playing an "expert campaign" are two completely different things.

In GMW the cards reference both 'expert mode' and 'expert campaign' so if you're playing expert mode but not playing the expert campaign you ignore the 'expert campaign' text.

Direct quote from the stream: "technically you can do both, expert / expert, but the hot tip I got is that anyone who does that is just asking for a beat down."

GMW still doesn't have a release date here yet so I've no idea how much this impacts the much talked about insane campaign difficulty, but it sounds like it should deescalate things.

It's bananas to me that FFG didn't put anything official out about the mode/campaign change a lot sooner as it seems like everybody has missed this.
Last edit: 03 May 2021 22:26 by Kmann.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.614 seconds