October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Marvel Champions

More
21 Jun 2021 15:32 - 21 Jun 2021 17:40 #324129 by boothwah
I bought 1000 count matte sleeves off of Amazon for $30.00 a lot - I've bought 2 1000 ct's of the blacks for my hero and aspects, and one 1000 ct blue for my villains decks (I do sleeve the villains and main schemes in clear mattes that I've had forever - I have the hero cards in clear top loaders that cost me 5.00 for 30. I have enough of the blacks to probably sleeve the next year of content - and enough blues to get me through the next two villain expacs- So I've got about $95 into sleeving the first 3 years of content - I don't think that is too bad - The sleeves are as good or better than any premium sleeves I have used and are great for shuffling- haven't had a single blow out on them.

Search for DeElf card sleeves matte 1000 and they should come up.
Last edit: 21 Jun 2021 17:40 by boothwah. Reason: spelling / missing color
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Dr. Mabuse

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2021 22:40 - 21 Jun 2021 22:42 #324134 by Ah_Pook
Drax first impressions: like hulk if hulk was fun and better designed? I think he's going to struggle outside of protection, since he needs to take villain attacks to get vengeance counters (chump blocking doesn't get them) and then he wants to stay in hero form with his vengeance counters so he needs lots and lots of survivability. He also gets card draw when he takes villain attacks with max counters, which is largely how he mitigates his 4 hand size (he has an upgrade that draws him a card when he makes a basic attack also, so basically you get a card when you exhaust to block or attack). I never ever play Protection, so my first stab at a deck was in the right ballpark I think but not quite there. His signature cards are really good, including Mantis who is a cheaper better Med Team and Knife Leap which is free +5 atk with overkill when you use your basic attack with max vengeance counters. He gets to 5 ATK which is great. Staying alive is his main issue. Lots of minions would be a challenge also, since he doesn't really have any aoe. Presumably you pair him with someone to control the board while he powers up and stabs the villain.
Last edit: 21 Jun 2021 22:42 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, Kmann

More
28 Jun 2021 13:44 #324282 by Shellhead
I still have no issues with Hulk as published. There is an occasional dead turn, but there are more turns where Hulk is explosively destructive.

From time to time, I have looked with interest at some of the custom content made for this game. As is normal for custom content for games in general, it tends to be a bit worse than the content designed by the actual game designer. But I am finally going to print off one of these custom designs, because it was something I mentioned upthread here and the implementation looks interesting: Scorpio/Zodiac.

drive.google.com/drive/folders/10ajbnBt3...icqUodxHgVe-8fPyFPiK
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
29 Jun 2021 15:32 - 29 Jun 2021 15:42 #324306 by boothwah
I'm doing a series of games using Spider-Man and a random hero against random set up - then trying to make sense of them like the old Marvel Team Up magazine.

I used the randomizer for a quick set up last night and rolled up Dr. Strange Leadership and Spider-Man protection vs Rhino with Mess of Things and Galactic Artifacts. I played a cheesy Cosmo combo for Dr. Strange and tried out some new prot tech on the ever defending Spider-Man. It was a fun and ridiculous - By turn four I had Cosmo on the board with an honorary avengers, comm link, and Skycycle and inspired. It was super cheesy and the head cannon was great - Rhino and Scorpion were breaking into a mystical vault of strange and powerful macguffins and Dr. Strange was there to assist Spidey in cleaning up the mess.
Last edit: 29 Jun 2021 15:42 by boothwah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, DarthJoJo, Ah_Pook, Kmann

More
29 Jun 2021 17:47 #324309 by Kmann
I always love playing the Skycycle! It's just so funny. One game I had Hulk cruising around on it, which is a mental picture I still laugh at today.

More
30 Jun 2021 12:04 #324328 by Ah_Pook
Hulk on a sky cycle vs a T-Rex on a goblin glider :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
06 Jul 2021 17:27 - 06 Jul 2021 17:41 #324471 by boothwah
So it turns out that Rhino and Scorpion had an accomplice in their mystical macguffin heist : Electro - He was able to sneak off while Spidey and Sr. Strange dealt with his compatriots and went straight to Arnim Zola, the masterplanner behind their heist -Zola was attempting to unlock the energy source using Electro as a conduit -(Arnim Zola, with Under Attack and Power Drain mods.) Spider-Man (P) and Hawkeye (A) end up catching wind of their plans and sneak to Zola's secret island lab in a borrowed quinjet. It was a surprisingly manageable fight shutting down Zola and his minions, only to burst into the lab to find Electro overloading the mystical thingamig......

Explosions rock the lab, as the ceiling starts to cave in, bright floodlights reveal an alien craft, swooping in to capture Electro and the gem of cosmic significance - Nebula! Spidey comes to and is being tended by none other that Gamora, who was in hot pursuit. After putting their wounded companion Hawkeye back on the quinjet and sending him to a med facility via auto pilot, Gamora(J) and Spider-Man(P) take off to confront Nebula. (Nebula, + Power Stone, Ship Command, Under Attack, and Power Drain mods) Their heroes were able to recapture the mystic knickknack early in the fight and never gave it back. It was a very quick tight battle.
Last edit: 06 Jul 2021 17:41 by boothwah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Ah_Pook, Kmann

More
08 Jul 2021 14:28 #324522 by boothwah
New story arc? Next up Kamala Khan headlines the Marvel Team Up book, and her first guest star is none other than Captain America - In a desparate bid to stop the Red Skull in his pursuit of mystical macguffins and the fracturing of all reality......

Ms. Marvel Justice and Captain America Aggression vs. Red Skull + Galactic Artifacts + Under Attack

An early upgrade to let Ms. Marvel start off multi tasking for 8 threat...chef's kiss. This was a glide, until Sleeper pops up on the kill turn. Sleeper bought Red Skull a one turn respite but Cap had a hand full of hate to do 20 damage.

Next Issue : Ms. Marvel teams up with Captain Marvel (not a fanfic dream sequence : For Realsies) Vs. Taskmaster + Weapons Master +Brotherhood of Badoon modules.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
09 Jul 2021 16:09 #324554 by Shellhead
Since I'm not getting Galaxy's Most Wanted, I am back looking at the fan-made expansions. I like the looks of the 18-minion Masters of Evil modular set, the Enchanted (Enchanteress and Executioner) modular set, and even the J. Jonah Jameson modular set, so I printed those off. As soon as my sleeves get delivered, I am also going to print off custom heroes Daredevil, Moon Knight, Blade, and Black Knight, as each of them has a fairly distinctive design.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo, Kmann

More
10 Jul 2021 16:37 #324580 by Kmann
The Namor scenario is a good time. It's the only custom content I've played and I found it a lot of fun.

It came out last year when the pandemic was first beginning to cause shipping chaos and the scenario winkingly references the FFG delays.

It's a cool scenario and worth the effort to make up. Be keen to hear how you get on with the custom content you've printed out.

I've also decided to skip GMW. It finally arrived in NZ a week or so ago. One place had it on sale and I almost snapped it up but then I realised that doing so would almost certainly feed into getting the full Guardians cycle. I'm not super interested in them so I passed it up. I might still end up grabbing GMW but for now I'm (mostly) content waiting to hear more about the Mad Titan box.

More
12 Jul 2021 16:50 #324631 by Shellhead
I haven't gotten around to playing any of the custom content yet. To do so requires the following steps:

1. Locate the content.
2. Print it.
3. Cut up the card pictures.
4. Sleeve the card pictures.
5. Make decks.

Here are the challenges so far:

1. Moon Knight, Black Knight, and Daredevil already have nice print files, with 9 cards per page, but that's just for their special Hero cards. The Moon Knight and Black Knight content includes a recommended starter deck list. The Blade Deck looks finished, but is still in testing, so there wasn't a nice pdf to print. Instead, I laboriously took screenshots and cropped and re-sized them and then set them up to print nine per page. Getting the sizing right was a hassle that involved some trial and error sample printing. Print previews looked deceptively good.

2. After printing the custom villain modules recently, I ran out of color toner. After replacing the color toner, my black toner immediately ran out, creating an additional delay. Because I like to keep ready decks for every hero, I decided to located card scans for the rest of the starter decks for Moon Knight and Black Knight. For Blade and Daredevil, I will scan aspect and basic cards from the base set for my chosen aspects. I plan to do those scans tomorrow knight.

3. After I finish printing those card scans, I will have a significant stack of pages to cut up into nine cards per page. I don't have a paper cutter, so it's scissor work that will take a while.

4. I got cute and decided to order the custom sleeves made for this game, at least the blue and gold ones for the hero decks and the scenario decks/modules/obligations/nemesis cards. Unfortunately, they were sold out at the FFG Event Center, so I bought them on Amazon. I haven't received the gold ones yet, but the blue ones ended up being custom Captain Amercia sleeves with his shield logo on the back of each sleeve. I decided that was tolerable.

5. Make decks. All the printing hassles have left me with a slightly disorganized pile of printed pages. So I will need to make sure I've got the right aspect and basic cards matched up with the right hero decks.

Between the cost of toner and the custom sleeves, this custom content will cost me more than twice as much as the GMW boxed set. Hopefully it will be worth the trouble. The custom villain modules look great, and the Zodiac scenario is quite different from any of the published scenarios. The Moon Knight deck is pretty special, and both Blade and Black Knight decks seem distinctive from the other hero decks. The Daredevil deck looks too generic, but maybe it will reveal some personality in play.

More
12 Jul 2021 17:00 #324632 by Shellhead
Forgot to mention above, but I also buy cheap playing cards to insert in the sleeves behind the card scans, so the cards can be shuffled okay.

More
13 Jul 2021 11:54 #324649 by Ah_Pook
Not sure what happened to my post just now, but anyway.

The TTS mod has a staggering amount of custom content if you want to try it out without hassling with printing it physically
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
15 Jul 2021 09:49 #324708 by Shellhead
I spend enough time on the computer at work, so board games are a way for me to get away from the screen for a while.

Maybe it will play well, but I feel uninspired by the Daredevil custom cards. It just seems like solid, bland deck that won't stand out from the crowd. And the alter ego picture for Matt Murdock is awful.

The new Nick Fury custom cards look really interesting. Good angles for deck design, but also has a very distinctive style as an untuned starter. However, I wish the designer had used the original Nick Fury for the art, or else used a different name for this obligation card:

More
15 Jul 2021 14:03 #324712 by Ah_Pook

Shellhead wrote: I spend enough time on the computer at work, so board games are a way for me to get away from the screen for a while.

I get it, I don't really like TTS in general. But still, as a way to help cut through the chaff and find things that seem worth printing out it seems useful :)

On another note: Venom seems really good. No notable weaknesses, and some of the best hero cards yet printed (Grasping Tendrils in particular is extremely good), and some great new cards too. Side Holster is such a huge boon to Rocket it's ridiculous. Just a fun hero all around.

Also, they announced War Machine.
www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/7/15/locked-and-loaded/

You put ammo counters on him and use them to do various things. Looks fun. Some of his new Leadership stuff looks ridiculous, so that's fun.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds