October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Marvel Champions

More
07 Jun 2022 10:29 #333512 by Shellhead
I suppose that you're right. But it also bothers me that Iron Man is stuck with a DEF of 1 unless he plays a protection deck. I realize that this game treats Defense as more of a dodging thing and increased hit points as the way to represent durability, but it leaves early game Iron Man almost a vulnerable as Hawkeye. Meanwhile, every single stage of Ironheart gets a DEF of 3.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2022 11:37 #333513 by Shellhead
I'm glad that the designers are gradually fixing some of the early characters with new cards, like the upcoming Unshakeable card from the SP//dr deck, or the Godlike Stamina card from the Valkyrie deck. It would be nice if they added a basic aspect upgrade card that gives +1 DEF to a character with the Aerial trait. Speaking of Aerial, I feel like the designers have lacked a consistent approach to the Aerial trait. Ironheart as a character is clearly able to fly, but I don't see the Aerial trait on any of her cards.

More
07 Jun 2022 12:21 #333517 by Ah_Pook
Ironheart has Aerial from mk2 on. I think the earlier heroes were real hit or miss with aerial, especially when aerial doesn't really do much most of the time yknow.

More
07 Jun 2022 13:14 #333522 by Shellhead
Oh, I forgot to look on her hero cards. Aerial is coming up in the world. Height Advantage does what I am suggesting, except that it's a Protection card. Basic version should probably cost 2 instead of 1. Pitchback from the Nova aggression cards is good for aerial, and Agile Flight is a good Justice card for aerial from the Star-Lord pack. My Hawkeye/leadership deck is now using Air Supremacy with those previously useless Sky Cycles.

More
07 Jun 2022 15:29 #333531 by Ah_Pook
Height Advantage discards at the end of the round, which makes it questionable. Pitchback and Yaw and Roll are both great new aerial cards. The whole first round of aerial cards were v dubious imo.

More
09 Jun 2022 10:24 #333568 by Shellhead
Had a rematch with Maestro last night, with my same team of Dr. Banner, Dr. Strange, and Wolverine. I would rate Maestro as roughly the same level of challenge as Red Skull, but not quite Loki or Venom Goblin. For ready reference, here is Maestro and Wolverine:

boardgamegeek.com/thread/2703987/custom-...view-maestro-villain

boardgamegeek.com/thread/2491357/custom-...eview-wolverine-hero

This time, we got things rolling well, across the board. Banner steadily built up SHIELD and his other resources and allies. Strange got the Eye and the Cloak early on. Wolverine got several great upgrades early, including +1 ATK, +1 DEF, +2 REC, Hall of Heroes, and his adamantium claws. Banner worked on thwarting, Wolverine cleared minions and attacked Maestro. Strange alternated between thwarting and attacking Maestro. Dazed status was easily wiped by Night Nurse or changed to Tough status by Strange. By mid-game, all three heroes even had the Avengers Mansion in play.

On the other hand, Maestro kept spamming out those Nuke side schemes and we were getting buried by encounter cards. One time, Maestro got some surprise overkill on an attack that was getting chump-blocked by Jubilee, leaving Wolverine at 2 hit points. But nobody heals faster than Wolverine in this game, of course. Sabretooth came out early, and even after he got bum-rushed by Strange, he dealt out some nasty indirect damage via treachery cards.

After we defeated stage one of Maestro, it was starting to look like we would coast to victory. But in a single turn, Sabretooth returned and Baron Mordo entered play. Mordo's side scheme took away Strange's Seven Rings of Raggador, so Doc would no longer be handing out Tough status cards like Halloween candy. Oh, and Banner got forced into Hulk form by Inner Demons, though that turned comical as he had both Unstoppable Force (untap) and Hulk Smash, and hit Sabretooth (and then Maestro) for a combined total of 13 damage.

It was a week night, so I forced myself to suspend play after the music mix ended. At this point, Maestro's (only) main scheme sits at 27/43 (it is Under Surveillance), and he is down to 10 hit points on his second stage. The only uncertainty is that there are 3 acceleration tokens in play and the heroes will be getting a total of 6 encounter cards, plus Maestro will be scheming against Banner. So there is a risk that he could scheme to victory before the next hero turn. The main scheme will go from 27 to 33 at the start of Maestro's turn. He could potentially scheme for as much as 6 against Banner, to 39, because he has his Throne in play. At that point, a single Advance card (from the Standard encounter cards) could doom us.

More
09 Jun 2022 16:53 - 09 Jun 2022 16:53 #333578 by boothwah
Last night I ran my new Captain Venom, Symbiote Agent of Shield deck - Symbiote suit is great.....on any hero that has a ready in their kit, if you are already packing Power in All of Us, I really can't see why you wouldn't pack it - I pulled it first turn with a double resource and never looked back - The extra encounter card makes you do more each turn in true solo, but you do sooooo much more with that extra card, the stat bonuses and you should use that 10 hp to buy a couple more turns of set up.

It makes me think I can see a place for "super hero" mode - Give yourself an extra encounter card to start the game and put symbiote suit in play. It's like playing heroic but without just punching yourself in the nuts.

Waiting for my Nova/Iron Heart packs - can't wait to build symbiote Ant Man / Wasp with go all in.
Last edit: 09 Jun 2022 16:53 by boothwah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, Ah_Pook

More
09 Jun 2022 17:24 #333580 by Shellhead
Good point about the Symbiote Suit. I need to re-visit that Venom Goblin scenario with my Spider-Team, only this time with Symbiote Suits. Then I need to go back to my anti-Thanos team (Adam Warlock, Spectrum, Thor, Iron Man) and give them Symbiote Suits to use against Loki.

More
09 Jun 2022 19:00 #333584 by boothwah
It's fun to be challenged - I crank up the difficulty when I run out of new stuff to play (hasn't happened in a loooooong time.) After playing 500 or 600 games, it's fun to see if you can wiggle your way out of sub-optimal match ups or starting hands. But in my first 10 or so games...not so much.

So dirty secret time : When playing co-op with my friends, I have an alternate mulligan rule.

Set up like normal. Mulligan like normal. Playable hand? Yes. Cool. You're locked in. OMG, All 3 copies of Defender of the Realms, and 2 Power of Justice? Oh, absolutely just shuffle up and start over, mate.

Starting the game on the backfoot feels bad, especially for a newer player. Most people don't mind losing because of decisions they made on turns 3-5. I've yet to find anyone in co-op that digs slogging through 5 turns to find out you couldn't dig yourself out of the extraordinary hole that you started out from.

It's your multiverse, do what you want. Sometimes when running duos like Iron Man and War Machine, or Wasp and Antman we pull the signature allies and replace them with the Team Up. I've put the Valkyrie ally into the Valkyrie deck. I've fought Nebula with Nebula and Gamora. I mean, it may hurt my chances at being sharp enough for the Official Marvel Champions Competitive Co-Operative World Cup, but I don't think I was ever going to get past regionals, to be honest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, sornars, Ah_Pook

More
09 Jun 2022 21:27 - 09 Jun 2022 22:46 #333586 by Ah_Pook
TFW Nova has Honed Technique and Ms Marvel ally in play and plays the same copy of Dive Bomb twice for 22dmg to the villain and 5dmg to all minions... Yea this guy is fun too.

edit: him and Ironheart put on a clinic vs expert Thanos. ended up 2dmg short of exact lethal damage when he was at 46hp due to losing a single progress counter to Ironheart's obligation on the previous turn, which was a shame :laugh:

Edit edit: Honed Technique is a really fun card. Makes me want to actually run a bunch of aggression events that were bad before, which is the kind of card I like the most. Anyone that has wild or mental resource generation this opens up a lot of fun deck building space for. Can't wait to run a Ms Marvel deck with it!
Last edit: 09 Jun 2022 22:46 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
10 Jun 2022 10:22 #333589 by Shellhead

boothwah wrote: It's fun to be challenged - I crank up the difficulty when I run out of new stuff to play (hasn't happened in a loooooong time.)

You could also try delving into the custom content. There has been a lot of official product released in the last six months or so. But there was a point during Cycle 2 where things were coming out slowly due to the pandemic, so I looked into custom hero decks and villain scenarios made by fans. Much of it looked mediocre, but I did end up printing, sleeving, and playing some of these decks.

The Maestro scenario that I described above is hard but really well-designed. The Super-Adaptoid scenario is also hard, especially on solo because it literally adapts to the cards you played in your most recent hero turn. In multi-player, it only reacts to cards played by the First Player each turn. The Leader scenario is fun and interesting, featuring a group of mad scientist villains working together. The second stage of the main scheme is exciting and unusual. The Zodiac scenario has some interesting ideas, and is fun if you like fighting minions.

The Wolverine hero deck is thematically perfect and equivalent in quality to any of the official hero decks. The Black Knight deck features a cursed ebony sword that the player must use responsibly each turn. Get careless, and the sword will become a problem. The Nick Fury deck is inspired by the Gandalf deck from The Lord of the Rings lcg. While less powerful than some hero decks, it offers better card flow and more information, which an experienced player can exploit. The wild Moon Knight deck features an identity deck (2 hero identities and 3 alter ego identities) plus it runs all four aspects, like the subsequently published Adam Warlock deck. The Blade deck is like a less efficient version of the (subsequently published) War Machine deck, using blood tokens instead of ammo tokens. There are at least two custom Daredevil decks, but the one that I got seemed like a relatively uninspired version of the Spider-man (Parker) deck. With the exception of the Moon Knight deck, all of these hero decks have well-designed nemesis modules, especially the Bullseye one for the Daredevil deck.

I also downloaded and sleeved some custom modular sets. The Enchanted one is actually a better Enchanteress (and Executioner) module than the Enchanteress module that came with both the Mad Titan set and the Valkyrie deck. There is a good A.I.M. module that goes nicely with the above Super-Adaptoid scenario, and a Future Imperfect module that goes well with the Maestro scenario. The J. Jonah Jameson module is actually intended to be an alternative nemesis for Spider-man, and is a nice alternative to the usual module style. There are also a couple of modules that are just groups of minions. The Masters of Evil one seems excessive unless you are playing a Thor or Valkyrie deck. I haven't tried the Dark Avengers one yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kmann

More
17 Jun 2022 08:51 #333761 by Ah_Pook
Been playing a bunch of games with either Miles (leadership) or Nova (aggression), and Ironheart (Justice). I haven't run then against the absolute hardest stuff in the game yet, but theyve been smacking everything I've run them against so far. Very fun.

It's funny to go back to Zola after not playing him for a long time. He seemed so hard when Red Skull came out, but the rest of the game has really caught up to him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
17 Jun 2022 09:59 #333766 by Shellhead
I'm still holding out for Spider-ham and SP//dr. It sounds like you're having fun with the new heroes, but I still worry about power creep, which often ruins collectible card games. From a thematic standpoint, it would suck if Thor the God of Thunder ends up as a lame has-been while minor heroes of more recent vintage are considered first-rate.

Hall of Heroes has a big preview of Cyclops up, but all the cards are in Spanish. In addition to the expected eyeblast attacks, it appears that he does something slightly complicated involving upgrade cards that he puts on minions to enhance his attacks. He can put X-Men allies of any aspect in his deck, and he gets several X-locations that enhance his allies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
17 Jun 2022 13:02 #333768 by Ah_Pook

Shellhead wrote: I'm still holding out for Spider-ham and SP//dr. It sounds like you're having fun with the new heroes, but I still worry about power creep, which often ruins collectible card games. From a thematic standpoint, it would suck if Thor the God of Thunder ends up as a lame has-been while minor heroes of more recent vintage are considered first-rate.

I mean this has already happened many times over, it's just the game at this point. Hulk is the worst hero in the game and Thor's pretty bad too, but you can still have fun playing them so does it really matter?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
18 Jun 2022 02:43 #333777 by boothwah
Posting from my phone, so just this : Iron Heart and Nova are both incredibly fun. The new aspect cards were more exciting. Working on multiple Go All Out builds, and Honed Technique and No Quarter. Plus Champions.

Not terribly excited about goofy Spider packs that come next from a theme standpoint, but they probably will be fun and then I'll end up reading a bunch of Spider-Manga

Cyclops looks cool!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.914 seconds