October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2699 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Marvel Champions

More
17 Aug 2022 13:33 #335053 by Shellhead
Maybe I should break down and buy a Gamora deck. I feel like Hulk really needs 3 Clobber, and I could use the Enhanced Reflexes in my decks for Iron Man, Captain Marvel, and Thor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2022 15:00 #335054 by Ah_Pook
I'd add Deft Focus and Ingenuity, for more resource generation, at first glance.

More
17 Aug 2022 16:16 #335055 by Shellhead
Deft Focus is a good idea, because several Hulk cards have the superpower trait. If I had any copies of Deft Focus, I would probably rather put them in my Quicksilver or Vision decks.

Ingenuity only works for Bruce Banner. It is mandatory for that Bruce Banner/justice/SHIELD deck that I posted about awhile back. In a normal Hulk deck, it would work well with Banner's Laboratory to help him play expensive stuff like Avengers Mansion or Sentry.

More
17 Aug 2022 18:16 - 17 Aug 2022 18:20 #335056 by Ah_Pook
You can only play Ingenuity as Bruce Banner, once it's in play it works for Hulk too... He just can use all the resources he can get and it's cheap yknow.

Edit: Deft Focus got better for him too since Unshakable and Limitless Stamina are both Superpowers
Last edit: 17 Aug 2022 18:20 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
17 Aug 2022 21:27 #335060 by Shellhead
You're right about Ingenuity... I misread the card. However, it will be harder to get into play unless you draw it at the start or from the mulligan. Hulk's inability to save cards means that you would need to get into Banner form the same turn that you draw Ingenuity if you want to avoid discarding it.

Great point about Deft Focus applying to Unshakeable and Limitless Stamina. Unfortunately, the single card sellers seem to never have Deft Focus in stock, and it is only available from Galaxy's Most Wanted, the one campaign that I don't want.

More
18 Aug 2022 09:36 - 18 Aug 2022 09:39 #335061 by Ah_Pook
Pretty easy to proxy a copy of Deft Focus ;)

I've been tinkering with a Hulk fix, but I haven't really tested it. Basically it's just Hulk with a 5 hand size and you don't have to discard... Maybe draw a card when you do a basic attack? I think he'd at least be viable with a regular handsize, even if his hero cards are still kinda bad.

Edit: shellhead do you know a lot about hulk lore? I've been thinking of an evil hulk kind of scenario where he's attacking a building or something... Got any specific villains/scenarios that that would fit story wise? I know there are evil hulk types out there.
Last edit: 18 Aug 2022 09:39 by Ah_Pook.

More
18 Aug 2022 11:17 #335063 by Ah_Pook
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
18 Aug 2022 11:45 #335067 by Shellhead

Ah_Pook wrote: Pretty easy to proxy a copy of Deft Focus ;)

I've been tinkering with a Hulk fix, but I haven't really tested it. Basically it's just Hulk with a 5 hand size and you don't have to discard... Maybe draw a card when you do a basic attack? I think he'd at least be viable with a regular handsize, even if his hero cards are still kinda bad.

Edit: shellhead do you know a lot about hulk lore? I've been thinking of an evil hulk kind of scenario where he's attacking a building or something... Got any specific villains/scenarios that that would fit story wise? I know there are evil hulk types out there.

My entire Bruce Banner/SHIELD deck is proxy cards (so I wouldn't need to loot other decks and buy singles), but I'm reluctant to proxy cards for an otherwise non-proxy deck because then I would need to sleeve the whole deck. Sleeves can get expensive and sleeved cards require more storage space.

I was a Hulk comic fan in the '70s and part of the '80s. Classic dumb Hulk often went on rampages and fought nearly every hero and hero team at some point, so it would be totally in character for him to serve as the "villain" in a scenario. But if you want a really challenging evil Hulk, you want Maestro, an intelligent and evil Hulk from the future. He first appeared in comics during the excellent Peter David run of the late '80s/early '90s. Some Marvel Champions fan made a very good Maestro scenario that even includes new modular set and a new status card type: Dazed.

boardgamegeek.com/thread/2703987/custom-...view-maestro-villain

More
18 Aug 2022 11:47 #335068 by Shellhead
I stumbled across that Wolverine preview when I was checking the availability of the upcoming Mutant Genesis box. It looks good, but not quite as good as this custom Wolverine deck that someone made two years ago: boardgamegeek.com/thread/2491357/custom-...eview-wolverine-hero

More
18 Aug 2022 12:35 - 18 Aug 2022 13:11 #335070 by Ah_Pook

Shellhead wrote:

Ah_Pook wrote: Pretty easy to proxy a copy of Deft Focus ;)

My entire Bruce Banner/SHIELD deck is proxy cards (so I wouldn't need to loot other decks and buy singles), but I'm reluctant to proxy cards for an otherwise non-proxy deck because then I would need to sleeve the whole deck. Sleeves can get expensive and sleeved cards require more storage space.

I was a Hulk comic fan in the '70s and part of the '80s. Classic dumb Hulk often went on rampages and fought nearly every hero and hero team at some point, so it would be totally in character for him to serve as the "villain" in a scenario. But if you want a really challenging evil Hulk, you want Maestro, an intelligent and evil Hulk from the future. He first appeared in comics during the excellent Peter David run of the late '80s/early '90s. Some Marvel Champions fan made a very good Maestro scenario that even includes new modular set and a new status card type: Dazed.

boardgamegeek.com/thread/2703987/custom-...view-maestro-villain

That Maestro scenario looks cool, I remember you talking about it before now that you mention it. I ordered a copy of Incredible Hulk 300 and I think I'm going to make a Days of Rage scenario with rampaging Hulk as the villain. Got some ideas for it, plus scanning and using the old art would be fun imo. The setup is that Banner's identity commits psychic suicide (?) and so only Hulk remains, and goes nuts destroying New York and pretty much everyone comes and fights him. It ends with Dr. Strange banishing him to another dimension.

Edit: that Aggression Psylocke ally is so good whoa. Basically it's Iron Fist but for Confuse instead of Stun... Giving on demand Confuse to Aggression is so good man.
Last edit: 18 Aug 2022 13:11 by Ah_Pook.

More
18 Aug 2022 17:21 #335083 by Ah_Pook
i spent some time writing up cards for this Days of Rage scenario, if yall are interested in seeing it lemme know. after reading up on it, basically Nightmare drove Hulk insane and threw him at Dr. Strange, so the scenario is Hulk rampaging in Manhattan and trying to destroy the Sanctum Sanctorum. Nightmare and crew are in there as minions, since I didn't see any viable minions otherwise. its probably tuned way too hard atm since I haven't actually played it and just kinda guessed at numbers, but Ive played a ton of MC so its probably at least vaguely playable ;)

the main hooks are that Hulk's attack has Overkill built in, and theres a Sanctum Sanctorum environment in play with HP and if it dies you lose. it takes damage each villain phase, and other ways.

More
18 Aug 2022 22:19 #335087 by Shellhead
I'm interested in looking at your scenario. I used to own Hulk #300, but I haven't read it in 30 years. While I am less familiar with World War Hulk, that might work well for an evil Hulk scenario, because he had a group of minions called the Warbound.

More
19 Aug 2022 11:52 #335105 by Shellhead

Ah_Pook wrote: I've been tinkering with a Hulk fix, but I haven't really tested it. Basically it's just Hulk with a 5 hand size and you don't have to discard... Maybe draw a card when you do a basic attack? I think he'd at least be viable with a regular handsize, even if his hero cards are still kinda bad.

An easy and thematic fix for the Hulk that I can think of would be to give him a permanent environment card at the start of each game: "Each rage counter on Hulk can be spent as if it were a (physical) resource. Always Angry - Response: After Hulk takes any amount of damage, place 1 rage counter on him."

Yes, I totally swiped that from Spider-Ham. But based on a recent interview with one of the MC designers, it was originally intended for Hulk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
19 Aug 2022 13:57 #335108 by Kmann
That mechanic makes much more sense for Hulk than it does Spider-Ham. And it explains his 4-card hand. However, nothing explains supposed 'Genius' Bruce B only having a 5-card draw though...

In interviews I've seen designer Caleb Grace has been fairly bullish about insisting there's nothing wrong with Hulk's design, almost taking offense at the suggestion. Michael Boggs has been much more reflective and, since leaving, open about the compromises made to the design. It feels like he's as disappointed in how Hulk turned out as the rest of the MC community.

That said, I've had fun playing Hulk. I took him and She-Hulk through the Red Skull campaign last year and it was a smashing good time. But there's no doubt they were a little too over-enthusiastic in nerfing him though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
19 Aug 2022 14:14 #335109 by Gary Sax
Hopefully they'll do some sort of unofficial taboo ruling to him like they do in Arkham to nerf cards---but also, promisingly, they've boosted the power on a few cards too.

Of course, there are still some terrible investigators in that game that they have done nothing about so... I think it's just that it's such a beloved character that's so disappointing for people.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds