October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Marvel Champions

More
01 Dec 2020 23:21 - 01 Dec 2020 23:40 #316788 by Gary Sax
I'm probably going to get this for my nephew with Thor and Hulk (his favorite superheroes), but I doubt my brother is up to teaching it to him. Is the TTS on this any good? Or is it like a secret TTS so it doesn't get taken down? I think I remember Ah Pook iirc talking about it.
Last edit: 01 Dec 2020 23:40 by Gary Sax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2020 09:55 #316793 by Ah_Pook
The TTS is really really good. The game is a little fiddly for TTS, but it's not the mods fault yknow. If you're free an evening I can teach you it and run you through the mod :)

More
02 Dec 2020 10:46 #316798 by Gary Sax
That would be great! Sometime in the next few weeks?

More
02 Dec 2020 10:54 #316799 by Ah_Pook
Sure, just message me and we'll figure something out. I'm around most afternoons/evenings. I'm EST and generally have to work early AM so earlier is usually better than later for evenings. With setup and teaching I'd budget 2 hours or so, time wise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
09 Dec 2020 23:16 #316969 by Gary Sax
I was a little worried when I saw this game was a branch of the LOTR:LCG but I think this game is much better. It also helps that the decks are better and make you feel more empowered. Like I told Ah_Pook my recollections of LOTR were just getting absolutely held down and strangled by the threats, left to do almost nothing with the base card decks unless I managed to put out a fodder Rider of Rohan or something:

Anyway, I liked it quite a bit and would definitely played it again some time!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Ah_Pook

More
10 Dec 2020 13:34 #317009 by Gary Sax
lol, I lost against the basic Rhino with Captain Marvel and Hulk because I forgot there wasn't a second Rhino scheme card.

More
10 Dec 2020 13:38 #317010 by Ah_Pook
Yea those one scheme villains can easily take you by surprise. I had Absorbing Man scheme for like 16 thread in a single turn once, which was amusing. Rhino can also hit for approximately infinity damage once he gets kitted up, which can be a problem too if you have squishy heroes/not enough heroic allies to take the hits for you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
10 Dec 2020 13:48 #317011 by Gary Sax
That's basically what caused it, Rhino got the horn and did like 8 damage which forced someone to flip, then a good scheme draw.

More
10 Dec 2020 14:36 #317012 by jeb
I have never seen a card gain Scheme like late-game Absorbing Man. The game goes: "ho hum, he's not very toug--OH SHIT WE'RE GONNA LOSE"

Like what the hell! You were thinking it was late-game because you'd almost won, but it was HIS late-game too and he's going to beat your stupid non-tactical ass.

I gotta go pick up my stuff at the Game Store and have them tell me more stuff comes out tomorrow, as is my tradition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
10 Dec 2020 15:37 #317020 by boothwah
I've kind of been doing a Marvel LCG advent - A random scenario with a random mod vs random hero +random aspect - It's forced me to play a couple heroes out of my comfortable favorite builds. Some of my favorites so far :

Thor Leadership was a blast with all the new allies, but what made it really shine was Team building exercise from the Ant-Man pack. So many of his cards have the Asgard trait, combined with the Avengers trait on the allies I was running, it gave him another resource generator that worked for over 60% of the deck.

Ant-Man Protection - His kit is awesome, the protection set up just let's him never go back to AE and just flip between Tiny and Giant. Momentum shift on top of his great healing in his kit was fun.

Captain Marvel aggression - I usually grab blue or yellow when I play her - I raced through an expert campaign with her, and it felt like standard.

Black Panther Leadership - Dude, he is so rich - I played all the fat allies, and then Voltroned them up with upgrades, something that was promised with Iron Man ally in the Dr. Strange deck, but wasn't feasible until the Ant-Man pack - I finished the game with Iron Man with all the toys on him (sky cycle, inspired, power glove, etc.) Fun.

More
15 Dec 2020 21:49 #317229 by Ah_Pook

boothwah wrote: I've kind of been doing a Marvel LCG advent - A random scenario with a random mod vs random hero +random aspect - It's forced me to play a couple heroes out of my comfortable favorite builds. Some of my favorites so far :

Thor Leadership was a blast with all the new allies, but what made it really shine was Team building exercise from the Ant-Man pack. So many of his cards have the Asgard trait, combined with the Avengers trait on the allies I was running, it gave him another resource generator that worked for over 60% of the deck.

Team Building Exercise is so good so often. Its become a staple really fast. I need to mess with some new Leadership decks since the Ant-Man pack, as it added some really fun stuff.

@Gary Sax and I just absolutely crushed expert Klaw with Aggression Black Panther and Leadership/Justice Spiderwoman. He never got any momentum going on his side at all. This deck worked a treat for BP. Dumping fists into Jarnbjorn and Mean Swinging away for tons of damage, while also doing Wakanda Forevers... good stuff. I need to mess with more Spiderwoman deckbuilding as the card pool grows, shes so fun/crazy to mess around with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
16 Dec 2020 10:46 - 16 Dec 2020 10:48 #317252 by Gary Sax
The Spiderwoman deck was really rolling in the first 3/4 of the game, my ally draws were good and as long as you have different colored allies and low cost generic colored cards, she herself is also powerful. Ah_Pook's addition of agent coulsen and the recycler leadership card whose name escapes me combo I used... 5-6 times?

I think the core puzzle at the heart of the game, getting a hand and puzzling out its most efficient use, is really good. I don't love the LOTR: LCG bones it's built on but the puzzle carries it through.
Last edit: 16 Dec 2020 10:48 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Dr. Mabuse, Ah_Pook

More
08 Jan 2021 16:25 #317848 by Shellhead
A late Xmas present from my girlfriend arrived this week: Marvel Champions! She knows that I'm a fan of Marvel comics, MCU movies, and board games, so it was a safe bet. It's been a busy week so far, so I just had 10 minutes to look through the rule book, only that was really only enough time to skim through the separate Learn How to Play book. I'm not excited at this point, because it seems that just setting up the game is a surprisingly intricate hassle. It's not a dealbreaker, as I taught myself to play the infinitely more complex Magic Realm last year. It's just that I was expecting something more immediately accessible due to the license involved.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, boothwah, Ah_Pook

More
08 Jan 2021 16:52 #317850 by Ah_Pook
shellhead if you do TTS i can teach you the game on there if you want :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
08 Jan 2021 17:36 #317857 by Shellhead

Ah_Pook wrote: shellhead if you do TTS i can teach you the game on there if you want :)

I don't do TTS. I'm sure that I can figure out Marvel Champions tonight while I do laundry.

The other troubling thing about Marvel Champions is that the box is nearly empty. It's nice that they deliberately left a lot of space to store the expansion packs. But now that space is a whispering void that insists that I must clamber on the spending treadmill and fill it up with expansion cards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.444 seconds