October 09, 2023
2479 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Marvel Champions

More
07 Oct 2022 10:29 #336014 by Gary Sax
So I assume they started with the brotherhood as the enemies? They could do dark phoenix if so, that one even has multiple phoenixed versions of a bunch of xmen (colossus, namor, emma frost, and cyclops I think) which gives you scenario premises.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2022 16:02 #336018 by Ah_Pook

Gary Sax wrote: So I assume they started with the brotherhood as the enemies? They could do dark phoenix if so, that one even has multiple phoenixed versions of a bunch of xmen (colossus, namor, emma frost, and cyclops I think) which gives you scenario premises.

Yes it's brotherhood/sentinels/magneto.

Warning: Spoiler!

I'm betting on apocalypse after that personally. Dark Phoenix is Phoenix's nemesis, which is fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
07 Oct 2022 16:57 - 07 Oct 2022 16:58 #336020 by Gary Sax
I may have my xmen stuff mixed up, I forget the big arc where they form a new team of xmen who are phoenix-ized and they go bad. That actually might be Avengers vs. Xmen.
Last edit: 07 Oct 2022 16:58 by Gary Sax.

More
07 Oct 2022 17:01 #336021 by Shellhead
The rulebook/comic for Mutant Genesis features Mister Sinister so prominently on the last page that I am certain that the next campaign or scenario that they announce will feature him.

Gary, you are thinking of the Phoenix Five that arose during AvX (Avengers vs X-Men) storyline from some years back. The Five were the four characters that you named, plus Magik. My local library had a decent run of X-Men hardcovers from around that time period, so I have read the portions of AvX that crossed into the X-Men.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
07 Oct 2022 17:02 #336022 by Gary Sax

More
07 Oct 2022 19:26 #336025 by boothwah
I'm with you on the next set being probably mutant massacre related, morlocks, and Marauders! Maybe they have the Hellfire Club in for a scenario or 2.

I think third set would have to be Apocalypse.

Mini set, I'm most anticipating and hoping for is Arcade and Murderworld..

More
07 Oct 2022 22:37 #336030 by Shellhead

boothwah wrote: Mini set, I'm most anticipating and hoping for is Arcade and Murderworld..

I wish they would do Arcade and Murderworld, but the upcoming Mojo set is too thematically similar, so we will probably never see a Murderworld scenario. Somebody made a custom Murderworld scenario, but I didn't bother printing it because it looked mediocre.

More
10 Oct 2022 06:13 - 10 Oct 2022 06:24 #336060 by Ah_Pook
www.pubmeeple.com/ranking-engine?t=33324...17-90c0-5fed4bd288f3

A ranking tool that will rank all the marvel champions heroes, if anyone wants to rank some stuff.

My top and bottom

1 Ms. Marvel
2 Ant-man
3 Colossus
4 SP//dr
5 Quicksilver
6 Spider-man (Miles)
7 Spider-Ham
8 Captain Marvel
9 Spider-Woman
10 Phoenix

30 Wasp
31 Nebula
32 Vision
33 Star-Lord
34 Drax
35 She-Hulk
36 Black Widow
37 Spectrum
38 Valkyrie
39 Hulk

Edit: I was ranking then just on favorites to play ATM, not like power level or anything. I think everyone down through 35 is at least pretty fun, then the last 4 are the ones I just don't enjoy. I have Black Widow and Spectrum on my list to revisit soon, it's been a long time in them so they might move up. Valk and Hulk are the two that are just unsalvageable imo. They need redesigned cards or something.
Last edit: 10 Oct 2022 06:24 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
10 Oct 2022 09:49 #336064 by Shellhead
I was starting to think that Klaw and the Masters of Evil was unusually difficult for 4 heroes, so I randomly picked a Spider Squad to battle them. Spider-man, Ghost Spider, Spider-Ham, and SP//dr. My Spider-man deck was moderately tuned as a Leadership deck, while the rest were untuned starters, protection except for Spider-Ham running justice. It was a long, moderately challenging game, but the Spider folks won solidly.

Just one of my singles orders arrived this weekend, so I have not yet tried to re-tune the X-decks again. Phoenix definitely needs some justice cards that can actually thwart.

More
13 Oct 2022 12:30 #336117 by Ah_Pook
www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2022/...hief-extraordinaire/

Gambit article. He looks real fun, and the alter ego thwarting stuff is interesting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, Kmann

More
13 Oct 2022 14:16 #336118 by Shellhead
I'm on the fence about Gambit. I never liked him in the comics, but the early '90s X-Men cartoon made him tolerable. This deck preview doesn't excite me, but sometimes an interesting design in this game has made me enjoy a character in spite of their portrayal elsewhere. For example, I can't stand The Hood in comics, but he is my favorite Marvel Champions scenario. One thing that might tilt me towards buying Gambit is the allies in his pack. I am a big fan of Cyclops in general, and one of his special abilities allows him to use any X-allies in his deck regardless of aspect.

More
13 Oct 2022 18:10 #336126 by Kmann
Am glad they got to Gambit so quickly. I was slightly worried he'd become the Daredevil of X-Men.

His cards look fun. The charging up is thematic and they've leaned into his alter-ego which is also cool/different. Looking forward to this one for sure.

Maybe I should post this in Hot Takes (lol) but... I'm extremely glad Joey Vazquez's run of hero/identity card art seems to have come to an end for now. Some of his were really good (Cyclops, War Machine) but I also dislike a fair number of them (Phoenix, Nova etc) which to me felt too cartoony. For my taste, he missed a lot more than he hit.

Andrea Di Vito's art just looks more classic comic book to me and some of his hero art ranks amongst my favourites in the game like Scarlet Witch, Doctor Strange and Captain America. The Gambit art joins them.

I'm really disappointed he didn't do Wolverine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
13 Oct 2022 20:10 #336129 by Ah_Pook
hot take of my own, i dont know who has done any of the art on any of the cards :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, sornars

More
17 Oct 2022 09:58 #336207 by Shellhead
When I am reading comics, I pay attention to who is doing the art, but it doesn't seem as relevant when I am playing Marvel Champions.

I got another new player hooked yesterday. My childhood best friend is here in the Twin Cities for the next three months for a work project, though they are covering air fare for him to go home and visit his wife every other weekend. So after spending a couple of hours catching up on our life stories, I showed him the board game collection and he zeroed in on Marvel Champions. We are both big fans of comics going way back, and he was aware of this game but hadn't had a chance to try it because he travels so much.

Because he is a big fan of Captain America, we took on the Red Skull yesterday, despite my warnings. He played my slightly-tuned Captain America/leadership deck, while I played a somewhat-tuned Iron Man/justice deck. I misplaced my seven Standard cards, so we instead played with Standard II. Red Skull beat us pretty soundly. We managed to take out the Sleeper and the Skull down to 7 hit points on his first stage, but we were getting dogpiled by side schemes with acceleration tokens. Even so, my friend enjoyed the game and is definitely going to at least buy the base set.

More
02 Nov 2022 15:17 #336571 by boothwah
My friend and I started Mutant Genesis as Cyke leadership and Shadowcat prot- I promised him I would not spoil myself on any of the encounters until we finished the campaign. I will sleeve each villain right before we play them. It sounds like fun.

In my solo play I am currently setting up a 4 handed game. I was inspired by reading a bunch of my early 80's Defenders books. So I put together the A-fenders. Dr. Strange, Hulk, and Valk. I was casting about for a 4th, and nothing seemed to fit the oddball weird non team vibe more than throwing Nebula in. Pulled Hela as the villain with her standard modules.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.447 seconds