Hot
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
3411 0
Hot

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Marvel Champions

More
08 Jul 2024 11:01 #342585 by Shellhead
My friend is still obsessed with Marvel Champions, and I still enjoy it, so we played a couple of games yesterday. He played a lightly-tuned Domino/justice deck, while I played a moderately-tuned Colossus/protection deck.

First game was Klaw, with Iron Spider's Sinister Six (from the SP//dr hero pack) replacing Klaw's usual modular set of Masters of Evil. The difficulty level was approximately the same, except that the Sandman minion really accelerates Klaw's encounter deck, either as a minion or as a boost. Colossus got an incredible starting hand (after mulliganing three cards) with all of his most important upgrades. It still took some time to get Colossus up and rolling, but eventually he was routinely dealing out good damage, with Protection cards like Powerful Punch and Tackle. I beefed up his card flow and defensive capabilities with Unflappable and Judoka Skill. Klaw did make it to the second stage of his main scheme before we defeated him.

Second game was the custom scenario Scorpio, only I replaced the recommended modular set Experimental Weapons with the nasty Goblin Gear modular set from Sinister Motives. Scorpion is modest SCH 1/ATK 2 sort of villain, but his Zodiac Key gives him +1 ATK, as do various bomb gear cards from Goblin Gear. His scenario includes 11 (!) minions representing the other 11 signs of the Zodiac. They are all roughly on par with Hydra minions, except that each has a special ability that occasionally gets triggered by other Zodiac cards. I was worried that Colossus might not be as useful against a minion-heavy scenario, as he tends to just do one or two powerful attacks per round, but Domino was able to help by shooting one or two minions every turn.

The Scorpio scenario is a bit easier than average, aside from the quantity of minions, but it suddenly turned nasty when Scorpio got the Advanced Glider. Suddenly he was activating at least twice per turn against both of us, either double-attacking or double-scheming. The only way to get rid of it was a player action to discard attack cards totaling at least 3 points of cost. Aside from Tackle, my attack cards were either cheap or not even classified as attack cards (Made of Rage), so I was unable to quickly get rid of Advanced Glider. Domino ended up getting rid of it after we suffered through three turns of double activations. Once we got rid of it, Colossus finished off Scorpio with two consecutive turns of big damage.

I am currently working on printing off an epic Dr. Doom custom scenario that somebody made. It looks amazing and thematic, and effectively includes several custom modular sets that are all specific to Doom. Each one of those modular sets has a side scheme that can contribute to a special victory condition for Doom. I think the full set is maybe 80 cards. Unfortunately, the designer didn't include print files (because it is not quite fully playtested), so I am downloading it one card at a time and then re-sizing each card to fit my own print template (a simple spreadsheet) before I am ready to print the full set off in sheets of nine cards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Kmann

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2024 14:44 #342609 by Kmann
I'm very disappointed that Beast didn't make the cut in the X-Men wave. FFG's hero selection once again proving baffling.

There's a handful of heroes in this wave that while fine should not have been selected over Beast, IMO. And while I'm #ranting they made an X-Men wave without Professor X? Or Emma Frost?

Meh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
12 Jul 2024 17:05 #342611 by Shellhead
I'm a little disappointed that Beast didn't make the cut, but I guess I can see that the designers might not have felt inspired. He has low-end superhuman strength, agility, and endurance, small claws and fangs, super leaping ability, and a superhuman intellect. That's an okay set of abilities that could be represented with cards, but doesn't really suggest a cohesive deck concept. They may get back to him later if they do another Avengers wave, along with Wonder Man, Black Knight, Hercules, etc. Notice that the Dark Beast scenario in Age of Apocalypse strictly treats Beast as a furry mad scientist.

I find it more disappointing that we didn't get Emma Frost. She was first introduced as a villain in 1980, but has been a hero for the last 30 years. Emma would have called for another one of those double-sized hero cards, as she has two distinct hero forms: psionic and diamond. In her diamond form, she is extremely durable, but she can only use her psionic powers if she isn't in diamond form.

Still, Magneto looks pretty neat. He only has 10 hit points and 3 REC, but a solid 2/2/2 stat line in hero form. His cards seem to deliver reasonably good effects with a situational bonus, like an attack for 7 damage that also gives him a toughness card if he defeats the target. His hero card ability to fish for a magnetic card is a nice way to mimic the way Magneto worked as a villain in his scenario in Mutant Genesis.

I finished templating that whole Doctor Doom custom scenario for printing, but it's like 10 sheets of color printing, so I am going to take another hard look at it before committing to printing and sleeving it. In the meantime, I noticed that there is a nice custom scenario for Justin Hammer, a villain featured in the legendary Demon in a Bottle storyline for Iron Man, as well as the movie Iron Man II. There are three things that I find appealing about the Justin Hammer scenario. First, it's a minion heavy set, featuring a more than a dozen low-end minions who once ganged up on Iron Man and lost. Second, this scenario has two versions of most of these minions, and the potential for any given minion to level up during the scenario. Third, these minions protect specific potent side schemes that can enter play. I should probably take a look at more of these custom scenarios, because the quality of a scenario is almost completely independent of the quality of the villain in the comics. For example, I dislike The Hood in the comics, but I enjoy The Hood scenario for this game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kmann

More
13 Jul 2024 14:17 #342613 by Kmann
Magneto is fine. I tend to see him more as a villain than a hero even tho he's on that grey line and flip-flops between his alignment. It would have been cool to have a Prof X pack to go with him.

Seeing as it will be a long while before they come back to mutants, I find the hero selection a massive fumble.

I'm keen to hear how the Dr Doom scenario goes if you do commit to printing it out. At my old job a few years ago I had access to a printer and would print the occasional custom hero or villain that I heard good things about. They were usually pretty fun.

Being printer-less now, I haven't checked in with that scene for a while. But if it's any good I'll head down to the local print place.

More
17 Jul 2024 12:09 - 18 Jul 2024 09:44 #342627 by Shellhead
I printed the Justin Hammer scenario and played it. Although you may remember Justin Hammer as the incompetent Elon Musk-like villain from the movie Iron Man II (the real Musk made a cameo appearance), this scenario takes its inspiration from one of the all-time great Iron Man storylines in the comics: Demon in a Bottle. Although the story is best remembered for Tony Stark's spiral into alcoholism, there is also a great fight scene in the penultimate issue, where Iron Man battles a significant quantity of minor league super-villains.

review of Iron Man #127 here: bronzeagebabies.blogspot.com/2010/05/get...n-bottle-part-2.html

Justin Hammer is a wealthy, amoral, and ruthless businessman, a rival of Tony Stark. He doesn't have any superpowers, so he employs mercenary supervillains to commit crimes that further his interests. This custom scenario does an excellent job of expressing these concepts with cards. There is a separate deck of 15 lackey cards, as well as a second lackey deck consisting entirely of improved versions of the lackeys in the first deck. These lackeys enter play several ways, often by attaching to side schemes as the side schemes enter play. Justin Hammer is a scheming villain, but when he is supposed to activate for an attack, the attack is actually performed by a lackey attached to a side scheme, if any. Otherwise, the hero that was supposed to be attacked instead draws a bad guy from the lackey deck, and said bad guy attacks immediately. The stage one lackeys tend to have 3 to 5 hit points, and scheme/attack scores of 1 or 2, while the stage two lackeys tend to have more hit points and slightly higher scheme or attack values.

Although Hammer has really low hit points for a villain (9 per player at stage 2, for example), he is often shielded by his lackeys. He starts with a permanent environment card in play that makes him immune to damage while there are any lackeys in play. Once there are no lackeys in play, this environment card flips to a side that allows Hammer to take damage. Every time a lackey enters play, you put a token on side two of the environment card. Once there are five tokens on the environment card, you discard the tokens and flip back to side one. In order to defeat Hammer, players need to beat all the lackeys in play and then directly attack Hammer while they can.

As previously mentioned, side schemes come into play in this scenario with at least one lackey attached. While that lackey doesn't defend the side scheme, the lackey does engage the player who defeats that side scheme. In addition to the lackeys, Hammer also has some conventional minions in his encounter deck. His encounter deck also offers ways to upgrade the lackeys and minions, and it is recommended to play with the Ransacked Armory modular set from The Hood pack.

I played this scenario two-handed solo with a well-tuned Iron Man/justice deck and a lightly-tuned War Machine/leadership deck, as these are the two heroes that fought Justice Hammer in the comics. Initially, I struggled to clear the lackeys long enough to get in attacks on Hammer, but this got easier once both of my heroes got most of their tech upgrades into play. Thanks to early deployment of Under Surveillance, they prevented Hammer from ever getting to stage 2 of his main scheme. When they finally beat Hammer, both heroes had at least 9 hit points. While the scenario felt a little easy, I think that could be testament to the effectiveness of the two hero decks. It also made a big difference that Hammer never got to the second stage of his main scheme, which would have upgraded all of his lackeys to stage 2. Because there a total of 21 minions and lackeys in the scenario, I can easily picture certain other hero decks getting overwhelmed by attacks, especially Dr. Strange. This also seems like a scenario where a well-constructed Valkyrie deck might really shine, especially if paired with another hero who doesn't need a lot of setup to get rolling, like Captain Marvel or Spider-man.

I enjoyed the Justin Hammer scenario, and definitely recommend it. However, it is not yet finalized, which may be why the font size of the card text is a little too small. At some point, I might reformat those cards and reprint them.
Last edit: 18 Jul 2024 09:44 by Shellhead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens, Kmann

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds