October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Gloomhaven

More
22 Nov 2019 00:31 #304443 by boothwah
Replied by boothwah on topic Gloomhaven

Gary Sax wrote: Do you think part of the game shining a number of sessions in is related to player attachment to their characters or is it that they're powerful enough to have new tools and options...?

Yes. Both.

In both groups, it followed a similar pattern:
The first two sessions you are figuring out how to play the game and your character. The 3rd and 4th session you are figuring out how to play well together. By that time you are adding some sauce in optimizing your playstyle and starting to make choices on perks, items, and new cards. It's really a nice ride.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2019 20:49 - 27 Nov 2019 18:15 #304584 by boothwah
Last night was fun. We didn't get 2 scenarios in because I was too distracted during the game and played too slow for a bit. Also, I didn't set up early. It's my fault, I own it.

We re ran a side scenario we had previously failed, and our level 2 selves were burning cards for xp and stretching the ending out to try to maximize some looting. Quite a change from exhausting 2/3 of the way through the first try.

Our breakdown on why in no particular order:

- we have to admit that variance is a thing. There weren't any memorable null attacks or curses on our draws, but we did have at least 3 fortuitous crits on some big attacks

- We know our heroes pretty well now. For example : The Tinkerer player said, regarding the difference between the two attempts, hes had about 4 sessions to figure out that the tinkerer almost has to be a little liberal with a few of his impact cards early to get real value out of them, and that having that luxury is what made the Jack of all trades playstyle work, without taxing the rest of the party.

- Knowing the scenario helps a lot. It informs card and item selection. In this particular case we purposefully chose to run it on occasion of all 3 of us donating to the great oak, because we knew the scenario was handing out curses. And....the mind thief chose the negate scenario effect perk because of the experience he had with the curses the first go around.

- We had more stuff ....level, items

- We had perks, and back to the first point, controlling variance is always the best way to cheese the system. Once your combat deck is cleaned up, you do what you are planning to do more often.

We threw most of our weight in the breakdown analysis on the knowing how to play your cards/hero aspect, to satisfy our egos, whilst begrudgingly acknowledging that in fact wild ass card pulls from our currently overcooked combat decks shared an equal amount of influence on the outcome.

We'll see what we say when the monsters level up.

/I will clean this up sometime when I am not on my phone
//or I will complete the third slashy when I discover this a week from now and shame myself.
///looks fine for a phone post to me
Last edit: 27 Nov 2019 18:15 by boothwah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Turek

More
17 Dec 2019 21:52 - 18 Dec 2019 00:49 #305215 by boothwah
This week, we introduced a new player to our game, as one thr regs was out, and the guy who was planning to be our 4th finally was done with seasonal play and was available for a try it out. It went well.

We set up the game, gave him a 10 minute verbal rules run down, and jumped right in. This game is really easy to join as a new player in an established group. 10 minutes, pick an envelope and there you go. A new player doesn't need to learn th a.i. or any of the bookkeeping as a primer. By the end of the session, he had it all down and was calling the enemy focus and such.

Tdil : You only need Rodney or the How to Play if you are all new. This game is a breeze to teach.
Last edit: 18 Dec 2019 00:49 by boothwah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
19 Apr 2020 16:34 #309383 by boothwah
Here's my quarantine set up. The board gets to stay on the wall for the duration per the Queen. Missing my bros...I got their buy on to tooele away with my Brute and a new Scoundrel. Gonna clean up some half done missions and probably retire the Brute before we get taken out of lockdown.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Gregarius, BillyBobThwarton

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.529 seconds