October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Funkoverse Strategy Game: Harry Potter Base Set

More
23 Aug 2019 12:43 #303487 by ubarose
You'll combine your favorite characters and go head-to-head in four...

Face Off in the Ultimate Pop! Battle.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2020 14:07 - 25 Feb 2020 15:06 #307453 by ubarose
Funkoverse is now officially my new favorite game. It is the perfect tabletop skirmish game (on a grid) that I have been waiting 20 years for.

Folks are calling it a successor to Heroscape, but slicker. There are no points for building your army & no long complicated set-up. Just pick any three characters and a scenario and play.

The powers are thematic and fun. Plus there is no killing. Characters get knocked down and knocked out, so it is possible to return them to play.

And it’s relatively inexpensive.

I feel like I can ignore every overpriced, over produced, giant box of grey plastic minis that comes down the pike. It isn’t going to do this style of game any better.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2020 15:06 by ubarose. Reason: Typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: marcnelsonjr

More
25 Feb 2020 14:19 #307454 by Gary Sax
Huh, that's a surprise!

More
25 Feb 2020 14:28 #307455 by Jackwraith
Hrm. Sounds collectible, which is an auto "no go" in my book. Also, to my (very uninformed) understanding, you need 3 figures per player, right? Which makes the 2-packs (i.e. the only IP that interests me at the moment, Rick and Morty) kinda understaffed, no?

More
25 Feb 2020 14:33 #307458 by Josh Look
I agree. While it doesn’t quite have the more in depth charm of adapting a favorite IP that other Prospero Hall games have, I think I’m willing call Funkoverse my favorite of their games. It’s brilliant. I hope it has a long lifespan, it deserves it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
25 Feb 2020 15:13 #307459 by Michael Barnes
I like it, my kids like it, it sets up in 3 minutes and takes 20 minutes to play. The figures are fun and there’s definitely a game there. It’s a home run. But I would still rate it below Unmatched and Wildlands/Helter Skelter.

I think it really does need 3 characters per side. Less than, and it just isn’t as engaging. You can run the tokens if you don’t have 3 per side and that’s fine but they aren’t as much fun.

I actually like the Rick and Morty set the best- they have the most fun abilities.

The only complaint I really have is that it feels like it should be more...more weapons, more scenarios, and of course more characters. I guess that will come in time, though.

Really excited about Aggretsuko and that little chainsaw.

More
25 Feb 2020 15:18 #307460 by Josh Look
FWIW, I like it much more than Unmatched but you’re right, Wildlands is better.

I have all of it now, including the Golden Girls set I was holding off on. Not sure I could pick a favorite set yet though, they all bring something cool.

More
25 Feb 2020 15:41 - 25 Feb 2020 15:42 #307463 by Josh Look

Jackwraith wrote: Hrm. Sounds collectible, which is an auto "no go" in my book. Also, to my (very uninformed) understanding, you need 3 figures per player, right? Which makes the 2-packs (i.e. the only IP that interests me at the moment, Rick and Morty) kinda understaffed, no?

It’s not collectible and you really only need a minimum of 2 figures per side. The game does greatly benefit from having 3, but they do give you “dummy” characters, so to speak, for the 2 figure game. The Harry Potter and Batman sets (Batman set is definitely better than HP and I’m not just saying that because I prefer Batman) and their respective 2 figure sets are thr better starting points.

The 2 character sets really come into play when you start building your own teams. It cannot be overstated just how cool it is that there are no points to build your team with. Just take 3 figures, mix and match as you like, maybe a weapon, pick a scenario and that’s it.

I can see where the purchasing model might not jive with people who don’t really do minis games, but I don’t think it’s quite the same thing. Yes, the option open up when you have more of it, but I don’t see it as all that different from say, Cthulhu Wars or Villainous. You’re picking up stuff to plug into what you already have. The same could be said of most games with expansions.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2020 15:42 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Jackwraith

More
25 Feb 2020 16:00 #307464 by ubarose

Jackwraith wrote: Hrm. Sounds collectible, which is an auto "no go" in my book. Also, to my (very uninformed) understanding, you need 3 figures per player, right? Which makes the 2-packs (i.e. the only IP that interests me at the moment, Rick and Morty) kinda understaffed, no?

All the sets come with a “basic” character token for each side, which acts just like a character but has no special powers.

The game can be played with each player having:

1 character figure and 1 basic token
2 character figures
2 character figures and 1 basic token
3 character figures

The two packs are stand alone games, with each player getting 1 character figure and 1 basic token. So you can play the game, but you won’t enjoy the power synergies of playing 2 or 3 characters.

Obviously, playing 3 characters is where the game shines. So you really want some combination of sets that gives you at least 6 figures.

As far as being collectible, the only reason to buy anything else after you have 6 figures is because you have played the heck out of what you have and want to add some new powers or maps into the mix, in which case I’d say someone had gotten their money’s worth; or an IP that you love is released, and you want to experience it. My problem is that I find all the figures adorable and am tempted to buy IPs that I’m not so much into.

If you are at all interested in Funkoverse, I’d wait until an IP that you love comes out, and considering how many IPs Funko owns, eventually one will.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
25 Feb 2020 16:08 - 25 Feb 2020 16:20 #307465 by ubarose
I like it better than Unmatched. It’s more accessible and intuitive and fun.

I was disappointed with Unmatched. It was drab. It felt like they were trying to make the mass market, Ameritrash game more serious and worthy, and threw out some of the spark that made epic duels fun. But it could be that I have only played the 1st set of Unmatched, which I believe was Robin Hood and Bigfoot. Those characters just didn’t excite me.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2020 16:20 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: marcnelsonjr

More
25 Feb 2020 17:16 #307471 by cdennett
I played a demo of the Funkoverse at BGG.Con with the wife (after watching a demo at GenCon), and it was very meh (and somehow the demo-er got the very simple rules wrong). The wife later played another game without me (with the correct rules) and told me to forget about it. I get the curb appeal, but found it not very interesting.

I've so far resisted the calls of Unmatched, as I still have a copy of Epic Duels that barely gets played, as it is. I'll bet I'd like Unmatched more then I think, but I'm looking for any excuse I can to stay away from new games.

More
25 Feb 2020 19:05 - 25 Feb 2020 19:05 #307477 by drewcula
Well I wish y'all could have mentioned this when the game was on sale at Target last week.

I have Unmatched, and its production value is top notch. The illustrations are pure gold. I'm not 100% on the game, as I haven't had much opportunity to play. The new 'big box' for 2020 (Sherlock, Dracula, Jekyll and Hyde, Invisible Man) is pretty awesome. My biggest gripe remains; I bloody hate that the support characters are chits instead of minis.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2020 19:05 by drewcula.

More
25 Feb 2020 23:38 #307481 by ubarose
It will go on sale again. The Harry Potter 4 character set is currently $23 on Amazon - https://amzn.to/2TjAdVh , and the 2 character set is $11 https://amzn.to/32u6TiM . Batman is a few dollars more.

More
26 Feb 2020 02:51 #307484 by mads b.
My oldest kids (11 and 7) are pretty big HP fans so I bought the four figure base set hoping it would be a great game to play before bedtime. It hasn't. We started with the base scenario (KO one figure) which was extremely boring, and even with the capture the flag scenario I have a hard time seeing the really cool synergies. But maybe it's just because we haven't gotten around to including the two items/weapons yet. And we haven't done that because for some reason it's a game we always end up arguing about. They argue about which characters to play, who has the coolest powers, whether the game is fair and all kinds of other stuff which usually isn't a big deal. We are going to give it another chance because it looks great, but I'm thinking of selling it to get Death Eaters Rising instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
26 Feb 2020 09:50 #307489 by Josh Look
If you found Funkoverse to be boring, you will go positively comatose from Death Eaters Rising. It’s quite forgettable and loaded with effects that hardly evoke the characters they’re attached to.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds