October 09, 2023
2488 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2689 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game

More
23 Nov 2020 18:29 #316486 by Bernie
Replied by Bernie on topic Arkham Horror: The Card Game
I understand your position on the Zoe deck. It’s a real mash of things. I may scale back the clues for more spirit events.

I may be trying to play it too much like a Nathen deck. Who gets extra damage from elsewhere.

The plan is to hit relic hunter and a a sword with the first xp. The sword with ramp her damage something fierce. Riot whistle just seems tailored to Zoe. It’s free money. And action compression. I’ll tweak it a little and get more thoughts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2020 20:09 #316528 by DarthJoJo
Things were going great for Stella in Forgotten Age. I was trying something a little different: an Own Your Own build. I can’t add allies to my deck, but once a turn I get a two-resource discount on a Survivor event. There are some great higher-level Survivor events, and she was rolling everything. Until Shattered Aeons. Then five enemies jumped her in one phase, and that was the end of that. Victory in the secret scenario still eludes me, but Stella was a beast.

Also, this was a pretty great Return box. The designers took a pretty light touch outside of an overhaul of the explore mechanic which is only for the best. It reduces setup and gets rid of some real first-turn feel-bad moments. High recommend if you like the campaign at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bernie, sornars

More
25 Nov 2020 13:21 #316563 by Bernie
Ok. The Zoe deck is a bit of a mess.
Let me offer some thoughts and we will work from there.
I like the Crystalizer idea. It does a few things. It boosts the power of all events played on a delay. With scene of the crime and evidence that should net us another clue or two on strait investigates. The other thing it adds is more monsters for me to kill to generate money and trigger my event clue gathering.

Here is my thinking on Boxing gloves. I realize their damage output is lackluster. The two things they do is draw events and add a passive attack boost. I plan to upgrade something into The Hungering Blade. This should increase my damage dramatically. Even if it does not work with all my event cards I should be able to slip those cards into play for lesser monsters or when one point is needed. I need Bandolier for the extra hand.

This may be a little too janky.

More
28 Nov 2020 21:27 #316664 by DarthJoJo
I found the lists on ArkhamDB. Akachi looks fine. It has a pretty high curve, so I might look at a third economy card on top of Alchemical Transmutation and Uncage, but that’s my only thought. Keep an eye on Decorated Skull and Empty Vessel. Akachi charges them on play and wants them as a killer.

Zoey still looks janky but Backpack and Dr. Elli could actually make it work. I think a few more Spirit events would be great since you only have six now, unless you’re planning to upgrade into more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bernie

More
29 Nov 2020 00:22 #316666 by Bernie
Thanks for the feedback.

On Akachi I am wondering if I swap Read the Signs for a more permanent clue gathering spell.

I found that I really loved Nathan Cho and may be trying a little too much to play Zoe like him. The damage output is a little light to start. But I hope that the addition of The Hunger Blade after the first scenario will resolve that. I’ll take another look at spirit events. I love the ones I have. Stand Together is an amazing card. That was at three players I think it should continue to be so at two.

I tweaked the Amanda deck a little. I shifted it towards texts with four and two Arcane Enlightenment, Celaeno Fragments and Whitton Greene. Although I just realized the Fragments is unique so I think I’ll drop one and add a Dream Enhancing Serum. Then my optimum load out would be one fragment and two dream diary’s, both of which would be different for max buffs. Should be interesting.

Stella has not changed. Solid before. Remains solid now.

Zoe stays the deck that needs the most work.

One thing I learned today is that Forgotten Age has only 13 tokens in the bag to start. I reflect on that as to how well Mary filled the bag in that campaign. There may have been times when near 2/5ths or better than f the bag was Blessings. That really messes with the math.

Looks like I may be starting Dream-Eaters as soon as next week. Thanks for all the feedback.

More
29 Nov 2020 00:36 #316667 by Bernie
I forgot to add Shrewd Analysis to the Amanda deck since I want different upgraded Dream Diary’s.

More
30 Nov 2020 19:09 - 30 Nov 2020 20:24 #316713 by sornars
So I've been playing my way through The Circle Undone. I've netdecked a Diana Stanley deck as I liked the idea of her but hadn't grasped the best way to build a deck. I've then threw together a Winifred Habbamock deck which I quite liked but is absolutely terrible for this campaign.

Warning: Spoiler!

I'm really not a fan of these mid campaign spikes in difficulty that require planning your deck around. I know the blind playthrough is supposed to be a surprise but I feel like the planning required to deal with these scenarios is more tedious than delightful. I've heard the backend of the campaign is easier. I feel like the two campaigns since Dunwich and Carcosa have been terribly paced in terms of escalation/difficulty.
Last edit: 30 Nov 2020 20:24 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bernie, DarthJoJo

More
30 Nov 2020 20:18 #316717 by DarthJoJo
I don’t dislike Circle Undone, but it is the only complete campaign I haven’t replayed. There’s been a lot of discussion on it lately as one of the podcasts arranged it’s annual Ironman where a bunch of people played through it in one day. There are some beater scenarios, some of the hardest ever designed I’d say, but there are also multiple that you can literally first action resign without any negative consequences. Part of the problem is that they feel overstuffed, like the designers had two campaigns worth of ideas and shoved them all into one.

If you get around to it again, high Will and access to Alter Fate can help a lot. Maybe Silas, Patrice or Wendy.

For what it’s worth, Dream Eaters is great. Outside of one notable exception, the difficulty feels fair without ridiculous spikes in difficulty and variance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Bernie, sornars

More
30 Nov 2020 20:32 #316718 by Bernie
Good to hear. I have heard some scary stuff about TCU. I am excited to try it. Not sure what I want to play for it. I can see Alter Fate being a general rockstar card. Even if all it does is punt two action treachery cards from threat area for yours or other decks.

That Diana deck looks great. I game it the once over a few times. The one I was dabbling with is called “I know gun fu” and is really off the wall in a way I find awesome.

More
09 Dec 2020 11:46 #316953 by Bernie
I start Dream Eaters tonight. Some thoughts strike me before I begin. The first is that the Zoe deck really wants to be paired with Nancy. I’m not going to do that. But I will keep it in mind.

The second is that I kinda really want to play Dexter instead of Akachi. I think she will play fine. I am just sorta ho-hum about her. Maybe I will work on a Dexter deck today. I won’t play till tonight.

I can’t wait to get playing.

More
09 Dec 2020 19:55 #316961 by Bernie
Done with the first scenario. You were not kidding about generous xp accumulation. I earned 14 off the bat.

I played with Zoe and Stella. Stella did most of the investigation work. The Zoe deck worked well in that the moving parts aligned and I landed two enchanted blades on 2 played of Dr. Ellie. It was just the clue cards that hid out. I am seriously considering stick with the plan to just hold those events. In the end Zoe got quite a few clues. It just took forever for evidence and scene of the crime to turn up.

Stella was great. She carried the early going and had some key evades late. She plays fun. Her engine is legit.

Going to dive into upgrades tonight. Likely after I play with the other pair. Any feedback or thoughts there are welcome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
09 Dec 2020 20:03 #316962 by Bernie
And I just realized I goofed and boondoggled my encounter deck a little. I am not going to go back and replay it. I gained one extra xp over what I should have been able to gain. So I’ll drop that. This kinda sucks. I grabbed the wrong pile of cards and I missed it till now. Blerg.

More
09 Dec 2020 21:01 #316964 by DarthJoJo
Stick to the Plan is never a bad pick. Unfortunately, guardian doesn’t have many clue options even with xp. Maybe Lesson Learned or upgraded Evidence or Grete once Dr. Eli has served her purpose.

Quick Learner is a solid Stella pick. Helps guarantee the fail and pumps those extra actions. You can even grab two.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bernie

More
09 Dec 2020 21:09 #316965 by DarthJoJo
Once again in failed in Shattered Aeons trying for the secret scenario. Father Mateo and Wini just couldn’t deal with the crush of enemies. They were a pretty fun team even if I think my builds were a little weak. Wini rolls as long as things are good, and Mateo helps keep things good. I’ll be excited to come back to him after Innsmouth because the massive influx of Blessed cards is really going to open up his builds.

Until then I’m looking at a Tommy and Preston grand tour of side scenarios within the core campaign and a Trish and Jacqueline Innsmouth run.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bernie, sornars

More
09 Dec 2020 23:44 #316971 by Bernie
Just finished scenario 2. Not as awesome as the other one. But the team did well. Akachi actually balled out on some clues with 2x read the signs and a flashlight. They earned 10 xp. Which is still a lot of upgrades.

Amanda is super wacky fun. My build is pretty soft in the fighting department but she can swing in a pinch.

About to sit down and do upgrades. So I will have updated decks online before long.

Thanks for the upgrade ideas. I am pretty sure evidence for 1 xp a pop is totally worth it. 6 will bet me 2x boxing gloves. Which is a really sweet 1 fight boost and a Draper search for my 6 spirit cards. They are all pretty amazing cards though. Two leveled up Stand Together are really nice too. It bears thinking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, DarthJoJo

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds