October 09, 2023
2475 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2679 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game

More
26 Jun 2021 04:19 #324247 by mezike
Replied by mezike on topic Arkham Horror: The Card Game
The player mats in the TTS mod were super helpful to me when I first experienced the game and the graphic is right there in the TTS cache to pluck out and print. I can't load files here so I will post it on the Arkham thread on discord.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2021 23:41 #324296 by Bernie
Replied by Bernie on topic Arkham Horror: The Card Game
So got on another scenario of Carcosa today. We cut this one down to the wire. Think we finished with 0 actions to spare.

Some interesting things I have taken notice of with this Bless foreword pair we are running.

I am much more aggressive just taking tight tests with lots of bless in the bag. I listen to a few of the podcasts and they mention that bless passed them 1 test in a whole scenario. And it’s total feel for me but I think they have bag math so ingrained in them from years of playing that they just run on it and play that way.

My Sister Mary deck has 0 skill cards. I therefore think heavily before committing a card. Now, I do my best to take everything I can with will. Sword cane and six sense help with that a lot. But you can’t get everything. I have been pretty aggressive in my let it ride test taking and it has been hugely successful. It helps to have three in Agi and combat as starting values.

I just wonder if players play less conservative with heavily loaded bless would find it more useful.

Sure we slant the math a little hard. We have the two bless covenants and that is a huge huge deal.

Also, finally got Nepthys in play. She is amazing. Just really really strong. Throwing 3 bless back in the bag is fantastic. The 2 damage on demand is as well. I don’t think either is a bad choice. And you get to do it for what you are already doing. It’s great.

New Taboo list dropped. Looks like good changes. Still whirling them out in my head.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, DarthJoJo

More
28 Jun 2021 23:52 - 28 Jun 2021 23:59 #324297 by Gary Sax
Very unlikely I'll ever bother with the taboo list but this is a very cool visualization of it: www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2684113/vis...ry-including-v17-v19
Last edit: 28 Jun 2021 23:59 by Gary Sax.

More
29 Jun 2021 17:00 #324308 by Bernie
That is pretty awesome.

Not really playing with taboos yet. But I have played around with the mutations.

Have not played any truly degenerate decks yet. My buddy’s Yorick deck may be close though.

Hope to get another game in tomorrow.

More
29 Jun 2021 17:52 #324310 by Kmann
Replied by Kmann on topic Arkham Horror: The Card Game
"Double Nothing or Nothing" - :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Jun 2021 21:40 - 30 Jun 2021 21:44 #324343 by Gary Sax
We did the train Dunwich mission.

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 30 Jun 2021 21:44 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, DarthJoJo

More
30 Jun 2021 22:17 #324345 by DarthJoJo
Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
30 Jun 2021 22:56 #324347 by Gary Sax
I bought the elder sign amulet and a tobacco pipe.

More
30 Jun 2021 23:27 #324348 by Bernie
That’s a rough string of events. That is for sure a scenario that can trip you up.

Got in A Phantom of Truth tonight. Super weird scenario. We were just funneling through it without any real idea of how best to do things. We got it done. It involved a lot of killing. Highlight of the game for sure was Sister Mary taking a difficulty 13 will check. I was at 6 and did not commit anything and said I’ll take the fail. 3 bless tokens and a +1 later I passed. Wild wild stuff there. I’ll likely never do that again as long as I play this game.

Never saw enchanted weapon. I did draw holy spear but I just chucked it into a check. It was too late to make a difference. The real stars of the deck. Nepthys and lvl 2 holy rosary. These are amazing cards. In said check above, took the three bless I used and threw them right back into the bag. I think I also got to add one more from the rosary as there was only one bless not in the bag.

Upgrades a lot less exciting this time around. Two holy smites, a pair of recharges replaced my Delve too Deeps and one I’ve Had worse. I’ll get back to the second spear and enchanted weapon soon. I need the recharges for my Read the Signs.

Really enjoy Sister Mary. She is pretty awesome.

More
02 Jul 2021 11:43 #324381 by Bernie
Some more thoughts on sister Mary and some musings on action compression.

So as stated earlier I am all aboard this sister Mary deck. It works at two players. I think it would be ok at 3 but not as the primary clue gatherer. Just not enough action compression. I have Read the Signs rank 2. But that’s the only ranked up clue tech I have. I really ride Six Sense pretty hard. In hindsight I would add another level 0 clue tech to the deck at creation so that there are 6 instead of 4 cards. The deck is working well enough because I can just throw actions at clues. This is normally not ideal. So much of what I am doing is just baked into the cards I want out that it does not matter. My ideal rig at this point is Holy Rosary lvl2, Holy Spear, Nepthys, Read the Signs and Sixth Sense. Rosary and Nepthys keep bless in the bag, provide will buffs and damage on demand. The spear is just a bad ass fighting weapon (replacing sword cane) and the spells get clues. This is enough action / clue gathering for 2 player. I also have safeguard for some free moves. Where I am going with this is only beating able to get one set of upgraded clue spells is killing this decks use as a primary clue gatherer at 3+ player counts. I think it will still work as a 3rd player as it can kill stuff and get some clues while buffing the other players. It’s just a really heady thing at 2 players.

I write all this because your experiences have me thinking about being a new player and taking on the Dunwitch Legacy. Also the slightly selfish reason of wanting you and your partner to continue on as I enjoy hearing about it :)

I’ll be curious to hear how she fares with Nancy Thompson. She is both awesome and seeker is really strong in a small card pool. I need to go up thread and see who you are both playing, as I can’t recall but that may also be affecting your experience.

More
02 Jul 2021 12:52 #324382 by Gary Sax
Just doing the Roland/Wendy combo from the base. It works pretty well, I just don't think the default decks make smart choices to protect Roland against horror and/or will checks that usually cause horror. The Wendy deck seems a little better.

More
02 Jul 2021 13:57 #324383 by mezike
I had a blast last night with the first chapter of Carcosa and two decks I grabbed from Arkham DB - Broke-ass Pete and Yorick nervous wrecking machine. Both those builds are super fun to play, the gig with the Pete deck is that you don't need to collect resources at any point as everything in your deck is cheap enough to run on what you start with and acquire each turn. Having Duke is awesome, this isn't news to anyone but it's like having a base power of 4 on fighting and investigation and a free move each turn. Yorick is a strong fighter but I didn't manage to exploit his innate power so I might swap out for a fighty Zoey deck I've been looking at instead. I had a couple of rounds where, because of a lack of monster events and due to things occurring, I had nothing left to do with my actions except draw a card because I was romping through the adventure. Great recommendations from everyone on checking out the decks on Arkham DB.

I don't know if all the cycles stand up as well but the difference of Carcosa to Night of the Zealot is, well, night and day. In other news I decided to purchase the missing half of Circle Undone (as you knew I would) and chucked Blob into the basket because it was on sale and seems highly rated. I clearly have a problem with completionism, but am telling myself strictly no more for now!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, DarthJoJo

More
02 Jul 2021 14:27 #324384 by sornars
Carcosa is frequently regarded as one of the best campaigns and NotZ one of the worst so the contrast will be stark! You’re in for a real treat.

As for completionism, if you already like the game the money won’t be wasted. All of the campaigns bring something interesting to the table through the player cards and the campaigns themselves.

More
02 Jul 2021 15:50 #324386 by DarthJoJo
Like most of the people in this thread I’m in the midst of my own Carcosa campaign. It’s not going well. I’m heading into the sixth scenario with two trauma on Agnes and three on Skids. Doesn’t feel great when I already restarted the campaign once to refine the decks.

Part of the problem is that I’ve run and failed both of their unique challenge scenarios. They’re fun but very puzzly. It feels like they demand more specific builds and reward multiple standalone runs to discover the best plays rather than some campaign-tweaked deck.

The other problem is that I’ve been cheating. I already mentioned forgetting two tokens in the second scenario. Then I realized my combo of level-four Hard Knocks and parallel Skids’ innate doesn’t actually work at all either.

It’s more than a little disheartening. I may scuttle the campaign if either of them take another trauma because I’m not excited about playing out that death spiral. Then I’ll have Return to Circle Undone to look forward to.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike, Bernie, sornars

More
03 Jul 2021 04:31 #324394 by mezike

sornars wrote: As for completionism, if you already like the game the money won’t be wasted.

Now that's the kind of talk that just gets all of us into trouble!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds