October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game

More
29 Jul 2021 22:19 #325051 by Bernie
Replied by Bernie on topic Arkham Horror: The Card Game
I did. All 3 are original. I would make the Daisy deck different if I were running it. I would have a dream diary. But that seems wasted in only 3 sessions. Also more complicated than Needed. Nathan is the easiest to build for. It’s just good stuff Nathan to leverage his ability and boxing gloves. And a bit of clue tech.

Jenny is the one I am most interested in trying to see if it works. It’s a little all over the place. But it’s all about events. I plan to buy Chuck Fergus first thing. It’s about exhausting enumerated and shooting them. At least a little.

I have no idea if this deck will work. It I’ll be piloting it so that’s fine.

Do you think I should play it on easy or normal? The decks should have no problem playing at normal. But I want there to be a good experience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2021 22:32 - 29 Jul 2021 22:38 #325052 by Gary Sax
I would play easy with new players. They'll pass most of their checks but they'll be using actions pretty inefficiently if they're anything like my experience.

If they kick ass and are bored you can swap into normal level tile distribution in the second mission.
Last edit: 29 Jul 2021 22:38 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
30 Jul 2021 10:39 #325062 by Bernie
Makes sense.

Sadly my game day got canceled. So it will wait for another day.

Thanks for the feedback.

More
30 Jul 2021 11:23 - 30 Jul 2021 11:24 #325064 by Gary Sax
Ah bummer!

I finished Dunwich, we all died. Tony made some progress on just fighting down the last boss (10/16 damage, he could do five fights a turn with haste and bounties) but we fell short of even that pyrrhic victory. There was one of those absolute groanworthy red draws which was great, both investigators were poised to enter the clue locked location from the stairs after a couple turns of prep... red failure on the first easy will test, location dissolves, thrown back to the beginning.

Overall, cool scenario, was kind of a shame because the deck milling came in hard again in this last one and as you said, eh, it's fine.
Last edit: 30 Jul 2021 11:24 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, DarthJoJo, Kmann

More
30 Jul 2021 12:46 #325067 by dragonstout
You all died...but did you win nevertheless??? In our playthrough of Dunwich, we were also all defeated, but nonetheless won, and I loved it, we'd sacrificed our lives to save the world. We haven't won any other campaign.

We're heading into the last two scenarios of Circle Undone with Leo Anderson and Preston Fairmont, having bought a Charon's Obol after the (disastrous!) first scenario; it's been a nailbiter, we've completely bombed two of our six scenarios!! In a first, we actually repeated the first scenario because we were so unhappy with my wife's Preston deck, so we rebuilt it and tried again (usually we have a "no retries" rule, stick with the consequences you've earned or consequences don't mean anything!); when we tried again we actually did worse (but we were happier with Preston's deck)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, DarthJoJo

More
30 Jul 2021 12:50 - 30 Jul 2021 12:52 #325068 by Gary Sax
Nope, didn't even get that far in the act since we didn't get far enough sealing the tear!!! We had some tough breaks and it took a while for me to understand the rules. I thought we'd be fighting the big bad at the end of the universe or whatever so I wanted both investigators to enter at the same time, when I should have just entered with daisy and started searching many turns earlier. Oh well!

Your bit about being happier with a deck but still losing resonates with me. I don't mind losing at this game as long as I'm having fun with my deck. It's when I have a real shitty one where I throw up my hands that this game grates on me a little.
Last edit: 30 Jul 2021 12:52 by Gary Sax.

More
31 Jul 2021 02:40 #325075 by Kmann
Replied by Kmann on topic Arkham Horror: The Card Game
It's been fun following @Gary Sax's Dunwich campaign as it's been roughly in sync with my own, although I didn't make it to the final scenario.

Sentinel Hill is where Zoey and Rex met their grizzly fate in a tense nail-biter of a game. They'd each accumulated a couple of physical and horror traumas by the time they got to the Hill so were on the backfoot before setting off and things only got worse from there.

Early on Zoey pulled her weakness which spawns an enemy at the furthest location from her. She drew one of the backwater folks who put a doom token on the main agenda when they reach the top and - of course - the top of the hill was the location furthest away from her. That caused an advance they weren't yet ready for.

The card that shuffles all the revealed paths and places them back unrevealed came up a lot which really stunted progress and both characters ended up with the dreaded Beyond the Veil attached.

Rex was fairly beat up when he heroically sacrificed himself to allow Zoey to attempt a Hail Mary victory. Unfortunately at the top of the hill the Chaos Bag didn't co-operate on a crucial yet stacked and near foolproof skill test and the slim chance for the win slipped away.

Out of options all she could do was hoof it back down the hill to resign and - hopefully, as I'm not sure what happens - fail forward into the next scenario.

A frantic downhill chase ensued but the forces of evil were too strong and she fell one move-action away from safety when a forced draw caused Beyond the Veil to kick in and shatter both her body and mind.

It was an exciting game and despite the loss a strangely satisfying conclusion to their doomed campaign.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, DarthJoJo

More
31 Jul 2021 19:41 - 31 Jul 2021 23:18 #325081 by Gary Sax
Played the first "waking world" scenario of dream eaters, I'm going to do the short four scenario campaign. It was Roland and Stella, shout out to sornars who gave me some advice in the discord (let me know if you want an invite, as always) about the decks I was running. I changed out like 3-4 cards in the starter Stella deck and made more substantial changes to the Dunwich "Structure" deck on arkhamdb for Roland as my investigators. You can really see the limits on the Roland deck imposed by core+Dunwich They worked pretty well, I really cannot tell you how much better the investigator pack starters are than the half-assed core decks.

I really liked the first waking world campaign, I felt it was quite straightforward. In many ways, I think it is a great beginner scenario.

Warning: Spoiler!

It felt like i had actually learned something about the game with how easy this was, but I did really like the creativity of the creeping mechanic/other bag.
Last edit: 31 Jul 2021 23:18 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, DarthJoJo

More
31 Jul 2021 23:28 - 31 Jul 2021 23:29 #325086 by Bernie
Throw me a discord invite if you would Gary.
Last edit: 31 Jul 2021 23:29 by Bernie.

More
01 Aug 2021 00:18 #325087 by Gary Sax
Check your PMs.

More
01 Aug 2021 23:59 #325100 by Gary Sax
How are the standalone scenario packs, as products?

More
02 Aug 2021 00:24 #325104 by DarthJoJo
A low-priority buy for solo players. They’re fun, especially in a convention environment, but I’d put my money into scenarios first. They’re odd to slot into a campaign, and I’m not a big fan of building decks for a single scenario. If the puzzle of building decks to beat a single challenge turns your crank, I’d really recommend the parallels first, especially since they’re free.

Otherwise, Blob and Excelsior are my favorites, War is pretty fun but afraid to be too weird, Guardians of the Abyss is brutal, Rougarou and Carnevale are obviously early designs, and Labyrinths is only worth it with eight plus other players. Haven’t played Barkham.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
02 Aug 2021 06:22 - 02 Aug 2021 06:37 #325109 by sornars
I've been talking about Arkham much more than I've been playing Arkham these days so I've decided to change that.

Gary Sax and I campaign stumbled our way through the Last King. This time it was my turn to draw a bunch of bad encounters that completely hosed my deck from turn 2 and kept us on the backfoot for the entire scenario.
This campaign is the first time I've not played solo (besides some run-throughs of the core set intro) and it's such a different game. When two handing you can more efficiently solve the puzzle but with two players you're left to discuss generalities which makes the game harder but also more fun and interesting. This is compounded by me playing Yorick for the first time who seems quite combo-y and requires smart piloting to get the most out of; if anyone has any feedback to share on this deck I'd love to hear it: arkhamdb.com/deck/view/1562255 . My biggest complaint is that so far he doesn't do enough explosive damage to deal with high health enemies very well.

In addition to the Carcosa campaign that I've kicked off with Gary Sax, I picked up my solo Dream Eaters campaign where Tony and Luke went in Search of Kadath.
I'm enjoying this campaign quite a bit so far, I think this might be one of the better campaigns to do a blind run through of.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2021 06:37 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, DarthJoJo

More
02 Aug 2021 08:56 #325110 by Bernie
Well. The simplest big damage upgrade I can give you is move to Winchester. If your playing with the erata version of the card. It updates it to do 3 damage on any positive or 0 token.

Next would be relic hunter and a pair of holy rosary’s to beef the bless bag. Likely replace key ring with rosary. Maybe keepsake as well. As rosary has 2 sanity. It’s just more expensive to recur.

Act of desperation to chuck rifles once they are empty to recur.

This is in line with the deck my friend is running in carcosa now.

I was handling all the bless add as Mary. You won’t miss key ring too much as you are running Wagner and if it’s ever really vital you can favor it. That said sharp vision is a rockstar card.

More
02 Aug 2021 08:58 #325111 by Bernie
Or you can buy chainsaws. Chainsaw and upgraded oops is great too.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.370 seconds