October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game

More
17 Aug 2021 17:08 #325714 by DarthJoJo
Pit of Despair can sneak up on you because it starts reasonably, but it, like a lot of Innsmouth maps, can be huge and require going back and forth depending on how the keys drop.

The good news is that it’s probably one of the harder scenarios in the campaign, and you don’t really need to collect all the flashbacks. If you’re struggling, just finish it. You’re not hamstringing yourself for the rest of the campaign.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2021 17:24 #325715 by Gary Sax
I just did and went on to the second scenario, which is really cool.

tbf it doesn't help that my Agnes/Carolyn decks are not well tuned atm.

More
17 Aug 2021 19:27 - 17 Aug 2021 19:35 #325724 by Gary Sax
The second scenario was really cool, was very happy with it. We won by the skin of our teeth. It's *very* difficult to get lots of VP so far in this campaign. I've made 5vp in two missions!
Last edit: 17 Aug 2021 19:35 by Gary Sax.

More
17 Aug 2021 20:19 #325732 by DarthJoJo
We started slow in xp, too, but were drowning in it by the end. High 30’s? I kind of like the weird xp spending restrictions. Promotes some different builds, maybe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
18 Aug 2021 15:21 - 18 Aug 2021 15:23 #325798 by sornars
Last night I did a marathon session of the Point of No Return, Weaver of the Cosmos and Where the Gods Dwell to finish off my Dream Eaters campaign. I think PoNR and WotC were both excellent while WtGD was merely great.

In PoNR
Warning: Spoiler!

WotC was an amazing finale.

WtGD was also a great finale, the combination of it with WoTC means the Dream Eaters finale is amongst the best of any of the campaigns. Despite never really getting setup properly and having a very slow start, the first half of this scenario went smoothly.

I originally felt that the combined campaigns just felt like two campaigns smushed together but the third Interlude does a good job of making the choices you made in both halves feel like they matter. I normally immediately play through a campaign a second time after wrapping up my first play through but the Dream Eaters felt so draining to play that despite me liking it quite a bit, I'll probably want to spend some time cooling off before going again. I might consider Innsmouth but I get the feeling that that campaign is also quite exhausting. I was originally set on building a Carolyn deck but Gary Sax's experience is putting me off that for now, I might consider going all in on Bless and Curse with Preston and Mateo instead
Last edit: 18 Aug 2021 15:23 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, DarthJoJo

More
18 Aug 2021 15:38 #325801 by DarthJoJo
Bless and Ancient Covenant in Preston mean he might actually pass a raw test occasionally.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
18 Aug 2021 18:19 #325808 by Gary Sax
I think it's fair to say you could do a better job than my Carolyn deck, I'd certainly be curious to hear your results. Part of me feels like pairing her not with an inconsistent mystic high damage like Agnes but instead just a hired gun is the right way to go. You're missing a little fun combo but a badass with a gun or sword is going to be way more consistent in general.

More
20 Aug 2021 16:19 #325881 by the_jake_1973
Thanks to the nice Amazon sale, I will be joining your AH Card Game ranks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, DarthJoJo, Kmann

More
20 Aug 2021 22:07 #325899 by Bernie
Replied by Bernie on topic Arkham Horror: The Card Game
Welcome aboard.
Since I last posted we played forgotten age scenario two two times. The first was an unmitigated disaster.

Famous last words “go ahead and explore on our last action. We have seen all the encounter cards in the explore deck.”

Then we got wrecked. So we tried again. It was a slog. It success! Now it’s time for scenario 3. This is such a great scenario. I can’t wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, DarthJoJo

More
20 Aug 2021 22:12 - 20 Aug 2021 22:13 #325900 by Gary Sax
^learned this the hard way again in Innsmouth with its "when revealed fully flood" locations.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2021 22:13 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
21 Aug 2021 20:41 - 21 Aug 2021 20:44 #325914 by Gary Sax
sornars and I made our way through the next two scenarios in Carcosa, this time breaking into and out of the historical society and the asylum. We did pretty well in terms of finishing the scenarios, but we did not really manage to get VPs effectively.

Rita is a really weird investigator. I learned a lot this game about how much more flexible "fight" is ruleswise than evade, and it makes a big difference in how powerful Rita is.

Also preordered the next Edge of the Earth campaign and player cards, I've been playing this with a lot of my free time and it isn't really running out of variety for me. I do need to get Oath back on the table, though.
Last edit: 21 Aug 2021 20:44 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, DarthJoJo

More
22 Aug 2021 16:10 #325927 by Gary Sax
I played the Devil's Reef scenario in Innsmouth, which I absolutely loved the mechanics of. But Innsmouth is so, so punishing if you aren't well tuned, and my Carolyn deck isn't especially well tuned. Agnes is much better tuned, by contrast.

A thing I've been thinking about is how "natural" tests can just stop hybrid investigators, especially mystics, to a complete standstill. If you're "faking" your way using spells through fight tests, evades, or investigates you're just going to run into some shit that stymies you. I think it would be really hard to run a build where at least one person didn't have an attribute supported build---in this scenario there are some things which make you do flat strength or agility tests or give you a really rough penalty, and with a 2/2 and 2/3 respectively in those things it is just a complete roadblock without huge card draw to support those checks. This sort of dovetails with what I am increasingly seeing as the most difficult part of Innsmouth, which is a punishing token pool that dilutes the regular numbers into big scenario contextual negatives *and* associated "when fail" penalties which beat the crap out of you. That means that you can't really sit around and try something 2-3 times with a +1 just hoping for the odds, because failure has such dire chaos token consequences potentially.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
22 Aug 2021 17:11 #325931 by ubarose
Al and I are working our way through Dunwich. I'm Harvey Walters the academic, and he is Jim the jazz musician. It's been a pretty perfect narratively for this scenario.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, DarthJoJo

More
22 Aug 2021 18:41 #325934 by Gary Sax
Gotta hold that huge hand of cards! His weakness is just savage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
23 Aug 2021 10:50 #325946 by ubarose

Gary Sax wrote: Gotta hold that huge hand of cards! His weakness is just savage.

Yeah, he doesn't get many cards into his play area. However, I have tuned his deck so he is a fast moving clue gathering machine, with pathfinder, deduction, and cards that let him gather clues on spaces he isn't on. He uses his allies as human shields.

There are starting to be whispers in academic circles regarding the fact that all his research assistants seem to suffer freak accidents or end up in the Asylum, and that Harvey is starting to go a bit batty himself. And that buddy of his, the musician, well, they can almost believe the stories that he sold his soul to the devil at the cross roads.

I have grown quite fond of these characters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, birdman37, sornars, DarthJoJo, Kmann

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.293 seconds