October 09, 2023
2443 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2643 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game

More
05 Sep 2021 17:02 #326265 by Bernie
Replied by Bernie on topic Arkham Horror: The Card Game
It is likely a case of not leaning in hard enough. I needed Oops and likely chainsaws to really get there enough. But yeah, its hard. Stella and Silas do it best I think. My deck was going in three directions, now that it is two its going better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2021 15:06 #326289 by Kmann
Replied by Kmann on topic Arkham Horror: The Card Game

sornars wrote: Apparently Asmodee is raising prices to cover increased costs in October so the MSRP of Mythos Packs are set to go up by $2 then. It might be worth picking up any cycles that are in stock in the old format now if you intend to pick them up at all.

Instead of mucking about reprinting all those packs with all their wasteful packaging it'd be far better if they'd just hurry along with getting the big box campaign reissues on shelves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
06 Sep 2021 20:02 #326292 by Gary Sax
I'm using Tommy and I've upgraded my two beat cops, got brother whats his name for guard dog, and got my first level of charisma. Any advice what to do next?

1) upgrade a copy of Greta
2) upgrade a Tommy gun
3) upgrade safeguard
4) police badge

...?

More
06 Sep 2021 21:14 #326296 by DarthJoJo
I’d probably look at improving your weapons at this point. That’s a solid bunch of allies, and once the enemy health pool starts growing, you’ll feel like you’re carrying water guns.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
06 Sep 2021 23:06 - 06 Sep 2021 23:07 #326299 by Gary Sax
Thank you! I'm doing enchant weapon for Becky since I can reload it easily.

I'll probably graduate into a bigger gun later in the campaign as a Becky alternate.

I would do safeguard but a lot of the time Luke is heading where no one can follow him for efficient movement.
Last edit: 06 Sep 2021 23:07 by Gary Sax.

More
07 Sep 2021 00:02 #326300 by DarthJoJo
There are probably better cards, but Custom Ammunition is cute on Becky, too. Just have to draw them in the right order.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
07 Sep 2021 00:45 #326301 by Gary Sax
There is definitely a novelty/actual utility tension in the game, even if you were playing their taboo list of balance changes.

Like, should I upgrade my vicious blows? Probably. Should my first moves as a mystic be to upgrade 1 or more of maybe 4 different base spells depending on my main role? Often.

More
07 Sep 2021 10:43 #326308 by ubarose
I'm becoming annoyed at the graphic design of the Act and Agenda cards. They are too similar in both appearance and naming convention - two stacks of cards that look the same, and have a word starting with the letter "A" written in rather small type. And the color of the clue and doom icons on them are really rather close when looking across a table. It is far to easy to get those decks muddled up. I've done it a couple of times now. The worst was last night when the last Act card ended up under the last Agenda card. Just having the borders be significantly different would be so helpful.

More
07 Sep 2021 11:03 - 07 Sep 2021 11:20 #326309 by sornars
If it helps, they're designed to look like the left and right pages of a book opened up. So the Agenda always goes on the left and the Act always goes on the right. I agree with your complaint for this specifically; in general I find setup (especially if trying to avoid spoilers!) to be frustrating; however, I do think the graphic design in the game is generally quite good. This may be due to a lack of being observant on my part but for example, I only recently noticed how Assets, Events and Skills are differentiated by the shape of their borders which makes it easy to determine what they are without looking at them too closely.
Last edit: 07 Sep 2021 11:20 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, DarthJoJo

More
07 Sep 2021 11:23 #326310 by Gary Sax

ubarose wrote: I'm becoming annoyed at the graphic design of the Act and Agenda cards. They are too similar in both appearance and naming convention - two stacks of cards that look the same, and have a word starting with the letter "A" written in rather small type. And the color of the clue and doom icons on them are really rather close when looking across a table. It is far to easy to get those decks muddled up. I've done it a couple of times now. The worst was last night when the last Act card ended up under the last Agenda card. Just having the borders be significantly different would be so helpful.

Stuff like that gets into why I find getting the actual scenario pieced together correctly really hard. Sometimes I forget to execute a part of the back of the card. Or I move to the new agenda/act but execute the back but not the new card front.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
07 Sep 2021 21:52 - 07 Sep 2021 21:55 #326350 by Gary Sax
Sornars and I are planning to do a new campaign at some point, we talked about Innsmouth. I'm going to do a pure fight/event cancel Diana Stanley as a paladin/knight deck and not worry about her will.

The fact that the character builds get me legitimately excited to run is such a huge sell on this game (WITH ENOUGH CARDS).
Last edit: 07 Sep 2021 21:55 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, DarthJoJo

More
07 Sep 2021 23:11 #326356 by ubarose
@sonars

I agree the graphic design is generally quite good. It is just the Act & Agenda that I give me a problem. With two people playing they often get picked up to be re-read and it is too easy to accidentally put them down on the wrong stack.

Also the printing on on a couple cards was less than crisp. I think they shrunk the font a bit to fit all the text, and the letters in bold and italic bits kind of squished together. I came close to getting out a magnifying glass.

More
08 Sep 2021 23:16 #326377 by ubarose
We got our asses kicked in Paris tonight. Neither Al nor I could draw for shit. We gave up and will take another run at it later.

More
09 Sep 2021 11:16 #326379 by southernman

ubarose wrote: We got our asses kicked in Paris tonight. Neither Al nor I could draw for shit. We gave up and will take another run at it later.

I never liked that bag drawing mechanism (among a few other things) during my short time with the game ... but drawing intruders out of a bag in Nemesis is another level of shit :ohmy: :laugh: !
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
09 Sep 2021 16:25 #326383 by Bernie
Replied by Bernie on topic Arkham Horror: The Card Game
Got another game of Forgotten Age today. It was one of those where it feels like you are spinning your wheels all game, and we were. Then in the last few turn we did all the shit. It was pretty close to perfect. Got 5 of 6 locations cleared. It did not feel like it was going that well for us.

Both of us had pretty great turns and plays at the end. Nothing quite as awesome as what i did the previous game. but pretty good. One more scenario before things get really weird.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, sornars, DarthJoJo

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds