October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game

More
03 Sep 2019 23:28 - 03 Sep 2019 23:29 #301355 by Gary Sax
Got this Dunwich haul. So do I crack these mythos packs, do they have generic cards in them to deckbuild with or should I keep them packaged and on hand for if/when we get there? Do I toss these weaknesses I got in the main Deluxe Dunwich box into the base cards?

Also, the specific Dunwich allies that are packaged out of order (e.g. Armitage), do I keep those separate and with other cards to deckbuild with or all they all ultra scenario specific and I should keep them in their numerical order?

I must admit I still find the physical packaging of the game a bit daunting even though it's just cards. I wish they'd give a paragraph or two of concrete instructions on what could integrate with the base and what should be held out.

I do like the new characters, though, on first glance. Hopefully I'll get a shot at this sometime once we've done the base game scenarios to get up to speed.
Last edit: 03 Sep 2019 23:29 by Gary Sax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2019 23:52 #301356 by Gary Sax
Also, having played a couple times and looked at the mild to moderate amount of character deckbuild cards that come with this deluxe pack, definitely seeing the complaints about having to get another base game if you want both people not to have to take opposite type characters... which isn't the end of the world, you probably should have complementary characters, but still.

More
04 Sep 2019 00:25 #301357 by DarthJoJo
You should mix the new weaknesses in right away, and the scenario-specific allies like Armitage should be kept separate until the game tells you to do something with them. Same with scenario-specific weaknesses.

The player cards? That’s up to you. More cards is more deck-building options, and there are plenty of level 0 cards in the scenario packs. Or you could slow drip your card pool, if you want new options for later playthroughs.

If you want to justify a second core, invite more players and build their decks for them. You’ll definitely need it then.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
04 Sep 2019 00:29 #301358 by Gary Sax
I'll right, I'll open up the clamshells and integrate the character stuff into the rest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
04 Sep 2019 12:04 #301371 by Gary Sax
Man, my concerns about the base card pool definitely mitigated by these clamshells. I didn't realize they were 1/3-1/2 character deck pool adds. That's great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
04 Sep 2019 13:55 #301372 by ubarose
Interesting how different people approach this. We just used the suggested build for the base set. We added the character cards that came with the expansions as we got to them.

But we have been cheating a little. We ignore the rule that says you have to pay an experience point for an even swap, so we can swap around cards when we open the packs and get new ones and try them out.

More
04 Sep 2019 14:34 #301375 by Gary Sax
Yeah, that makes sense to me too.

We're using the base decks too. This thread is mainly just me thinking about making changes because my spouse was so frustrated by the character she was using and its ability to accomplish what she felt she should be able to do (we lost pretty bad to the big bad in the first scenario several times). I'm hoping to convince her to switch to a direct character (she was using the urchin), but there are only certain combos you can do with the base game. Maybe the base decks for the new characters will help, she likes several of those characters from Arkham Horror quite a bit.

More
04 Sep 2019 14:54 #301376 by ubarose
Yeah, the Urchin is a bit tricky to play. She can't really fight. We got our asses kicked (on easy mode) a few times until I figured out how to leverage her strengths. But for me the challenge of figuring out how to leverage a vulnerable character is the fun part. I could see how it could be frustrating to someone one who wasn't into repeated failure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, DarthJoJo

More
04 Sep 2019 15:01 #301377 by DarthJoJo
Yeah, I can definitely see being frustrated by the core if you’re running Wendy. She can get bonkers powerful with a bigger card pool but generally approaches her challenges sideways from other characters.

A more direct character like a Guardian or Seeker with a clearly defined role, namely killing or finding clues, could help. If they draw the right cards, Mystics can be pretty powerful at everything.

More
04 Sep 2019 15:06 #301378 by Gary Sax
She's up for another play or two, so I might suggest it via the new characters in Dunwich. She likes the urchin a lot of the set of base characters so it was a tough sell before.

More
04 Sep 2019 15:39 #301380 by DarthJoJo
What sort of things does she want to do mechanically? Does she want to find clues, kill things? How does she like to play?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
04 Sep 2019 16:11 #301381 by ubarose
I was attached to Wendy too, but I switched characters when we started a new campaign to use one of the new characters that came with it. Made the game a lot easier and the deck building was more straight forward and intuitive. I'll probably revisit Wendy again when I know the game better and want the challenge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, DarthJoJo

More
12 Sep 2019 23:24 - 12 Sep 2019 23:25 #301678 by Gary Sax
It has been a crushing few weeks for my wife and I at work which generally means games are too taxing for her but I want to play games after work in the late evening. So I decided to break down the decks and rebuild for a 2 character base game campaign by myself---this time I used Zoey Samaras and the journalist Rex from Dunwich.

I'll see how it goes. It's easy enough to reconstruct the decks my spouse and I have been using, I told her what you said about Wendy and your experience, uba, so maybe she'll try another investigator. We'll see.
Last edit: 12 Sep 2019 23:25 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
14 Sep 2019 16:26 #301725 by Gary Sax
Played solo with Zoey and Rex the journalist and it was great! The game plays so, so fast. Thanks for the recs about changing characters---things are much more obvious when you have two characters with really clear roles. I enjoyed the journalist, in particular, his double clue investigate is very satisfying.

I have no idea if this will ever play well with my partner. I hope so but we'll see. If not, I think it'll still remain in my collection for the purposes of solo play. It plays so quickly for everything it's doing, which I think is something that makes the first few games more dire. It's not a game that wants to go long imo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Frohike, drewcula, DarthJoJo, Ah_Pook

More
15 Sep 2019 00:07 #301726 by ubarose
Al and I played a bit this afternoon. When we started feeling hungry, we decided to take a break for dinner, and discovered it was 9pm. We thought it was only 5-6pm. Time really flies when you are having fun, It really didn't feel like we had been plating for more than a couple of hours.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Gary Sax, Frohike, DarthJoJo

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds