October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Western Legends

More
18 Jan 2019 11:39 #304018 by ubarose
Western Legends was created by ubarose

Western Legends is an open-world sandbox tabletop adventure for 2-6 players set in the American Wild West. Players assume the roles of historical figures of the era, earning their legendary status in a variety of ways: gamble, drive cattle, prospect for gold, rob the bank, fight bandits, pursue stories, become an outlaw, keep the peace. The possibilities are darn near endless. How will you write your name on the face of history?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2019 17:32 #304241 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Western Legends
Two people showed up to game group with brand new copies of Western Legends last night. The only reason there weren't more copies was because it hasn't finished shipping yet so not everyone had gotten their copy yet. It felt like the old days when a hot game released and everyone had it and everyone played it. It was also really great to sit down and just play a game without having to go through a rules explanation, because everyone already knew the rules, except for a few things from the expansions.

The Kickstarter Cow Chips are really nice, and now I am regretting not buying them. The mat seems like it got printed using an earlier version of the board, but Kolassal is claiming the change of the icons on the mat were intential, but I think that's bullshit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, WadeMonnig

More
15 Nov 2019 17:34 #304242 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Western Legends
The good news is that by reputation this game is better with more players and fewer copies, right?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
16 Nov 2019 07:21 #304253 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Western Legends
I've just received the Ante Up expansion but haven't had an opportunity to get the game out since then. It's a great fun game but has one issue - with 4+ players if just the one player takes the Outlaw role then they will not win, it is so easy for the other players (and the Sheriff as Story cards start firing off) to take them out of the game, and waiting until on the second row of the outlaw track so that they lose all their progress mid-way through the game is usually when it happens.
So a great thematic game but disappointing that the Outlaw mechanic only works if you all agree the starting role mix beforehand.
Oh, and the quality control on Ante Up is very poor - the rulebook was printed with a very early version of the rules and has many ommissions, most of the tokens in the KSer Wild Bunch box are badly punched meaning you can easily tell them from the Ante Up ones (they all have different text on the backs), and there are dark red tokens with black text that has resulted in some of them being unreadable.
Apparently this isn't that uncommon for Kollossal and may be due to them having so many KSers running concurrently that their people resources are stretched.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax

More
16 Nov 2019 10:53 #304254 by ubarose
I agree. I seems much more difficult for an outlaw to win. The robbing the train adds another opportunity for outlaws for big points, like robbing the bank, which was much needed and helps. But I still think it is easier to win as a marshal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
16 Nov 2019 11:26 - 16 Nov 2019 11:26 #304255 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Western Legends
Haven't played, so take this FWIW, but this sounds a lot like the concerns about Merchants and Marauders, where it's far easier to win as a merchant than it is to take the risks as a pirate, given that the rewards are sometimes questionable and the downside is being knocked out of the game and having to start over. Similar?
Last edit: 16 Nov 2019 11:26 by Jackwraith.

More
16 Nov 2019 12:27 - 16 Nov 2019 12:29 #304257 by ubarose
@Jackwraith

It is very similar to Merchants and Marauders. Playing the straight pick up & deliver game (cattle or gold) as a Marshal, is a pretty easy path with few threats or risk. Checking someone's progress on this path requires that one of the Outlaw players robs them. Whereas the Outlaw players always have the threat of the Sheriff (like the Pirates always have the threat of running into the navy patrols in M&M), which can knock them completely off the Wanted Track (the primary way they rack up points each turn) and result in losing half their wealth.

The new expansions seem to be trying to correct this a bit, adding more ways for Outlaws to get points.
Last edit: 16 Nov 2019 12:29 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
16 Nov 2019 15:37 #304264 by WadeMonnig
Replied by WadeMonnig on topic Western Legends
I'm super looking forward to playing my copy now that I passed the entrance exam of assembling the General Store. Hopefully tonight. Might do a review down the road if I feel I can add anything to what It Came From The Tabletop said.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, engineer Al

More
16 Nov 2019 16:16 #304266 by ubarose
We absolutely need a writer review of Western Legends.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
16 Nov 2019 16:45 - 16 Nov 2019 16:46 #304268 by southernman

ubarose wrote: ... Whereas the Outlaw players always have the threat of the Sheriff (like the Pirates always have the threat of running into the navy patrols in M&M), which can knock them completely off the Wanted Track (the primary way they rack up points each turn) and result in losing half their wealth..

It's not just the Sheriff, if you're the only Outlaw then it means that most if not all of the others have Marshall points so they take you out as well. The new board may (hopefully) give the Outlaw player a bit more space so not all the Marshalls are within movement points (normal and bonus) of him/her at the same time.

I remember a few years ago (possibly quite a few years ago) there was a discussion here at the site on what themes hadn't been covered in boardgames very well or at all and the Cowboy/Western theme was pretty near the top. Well this game does a damn good job of producing a great boardgame covering various themes/activities of the wild west, and the 'sandbox' format gives you a lot of freedom/choice to try any of them. My only comment is that eurogamers can get a bit lost and look for an optimum play or end up playing multi-player solitaire.
Last edit: 16 Nov 2019 16:46 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Jackwraith, WadeMonnig

More
16 Nov 2019 17:33 #304269 by Jackwraith
Totally agree that Western themes have been covered sparingly, if at all. Strangely, that was what first inspired me to look at the Tiny Epic line. I saw "Tiny Epic Western" and I was all: "Ooooo!" It has theme, but it's kind of an abstract (as you might expect from a game that small), so it doesn't really push all the buttons, as much as I like it. I was hoping that Western Legends would do that, too. I'm not in the market for anything at the moment (all I do is trade), but I'm hoping someone around here managed to snag themselves a copy.

Wasn't there a game in the last few years that was kind of a Western/horror/steampunk fusion thing? Not Cthulhian horror, but approaching those boundaries. Kind of like Malifaux, but in the Old West?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
17 Nov 2019 13:16 #304291 by WadeMonnig
Replied by WadeMonnig on topic Western Legends
Played it 4 player last night. All new players and everyone absolutely loved it. I was Billy the Kid and broke out to an early lead after robbing the bank but Wyatt Earp rode into town and arrested me before I could make my escape. I swore off my life of crime and he headed across the map to apprehend some desperados... and I promptly robbed the bank again. Annie Oakley had her Mule loaded with nuggets and headed toward town. I planned to ambush her but things went awry and I robbed the fourth player instead and netted a whopping ten bucks. WYATT threw an epic party gaining 5 LP to trigger the end game and I thought he had the win but Annie passed him in final scoring, as did I only to have us both lose to 4th player who had stocked up on upgraded items with end game LP. Lots of talk of " I should have .." post game. We played with most of the first game suggested rules, so plenty to add later in regards to personal goals, etc...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Jackwraith, engineer Al

More
17 Nov 2019 14:26 #304296 by southernman

Jackwraith wrote: ... Wasn't there a game in the last few years that was kind of a Western/horror/steampunk fusion thing? Not Cthulhian horror, but approaching those boundaries. Kind of like Malifaux, but in the Old West?

Shadows of Brimstone ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
17 Nov 2019 16:50 #304302 by Jackwraith
Yes! That's it. Thanks, southernman. I've never played, but somewhat recall feelings on it being rather mixed here.

More
18 Nov 2019 09:24 #304313 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Western Legends
Disappointed in the quality control issues but yes, this is becoming a common occurrence with Kolossal.

Still, excited to try Ante Up here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds