October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Western Legends

More
18 Nov 2019 09:45 #304317 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Western Legends
My copy has finally shipped. Yeehaw!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, WadeMonnig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2019 15:13 #304331 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Western Legends

charlest wrote: Disappointed in the quality control issues but yes, this is becoming a common occurrence with Kolossal.

Still, excited to try Ante Up here.

Should check the 'error' threads on BGG listing the problems, using the new player aid will make your game a bit confusing :pinch: :ohmy: :huh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
18 Nov 2019 16:28 #304334 by ubarose
Yeah, the new player aids were confusing. I thought it was just because I was used to the old ones.

More
30 Jul 2020 12:03 #312604 by mezike
Replied by mezike on topic Western Legends
So I’m about to pick up a copy of this with all the expansions and extras from a friend who is having a clear-out. It looks like something I can have fun playing with the kids.
Anyone still playing this? Any advice for getting started 2p/3p? I want the sproglings to have a fun time so I’m happy to play sub-optimal in order to drive the experience for them, so I’m keen to know what sort of pitfalls or trends to look out for (eg robbing them if they go hard on ranching)
Apparently the expansions make it more balanced for lower player counts?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Jul 2020 12:23 #312609 by ubarose
Which expansions? Don't add the second board for three players, and all the stuff that came with that. The small card expansions fold in pretty seamlessly without a lot of new rules.

I's say, the first time out, just have fun and poke around the world and don't mess with each other too much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike

More
30 Jul 2020 12:50 #312613 by mezike
I think it’s all of them. Ante Up, wild bunch, fistful, good/bad/handsome.

Thanks for the advice. The game looks fun but with some rough edges so hearing other people’s experience with it is helpful.

More
30 Jul 2020 14:57 #312625 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Western Legends
It's a fun little sandbox game; play it too competitively and it gets a bit silly. I've played it with my 5yo and it's fine. It's definitely not a "streamlined" or "elegant" game in any way; there's lots of weird exceptions that don't even make that much sense. It reminds of LAST NIGHT ON EARTH in a way, a bucket full of stuff that sounded fun at the time (and mostly is) but everything was thrown in kind of ad hoc as opposed to being consistently designed from the ground up.

That said, I think it's worth keeping around. It's a good while-away-the-afternoon game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, mezike

More
30 Jul 2020 15:07 - 30 Jul 2020 15:09 #312628 by ubarose
Since no one else is offering alternate advice, or correcting me, you all are making me go do research. So to clarify, I wouldn't add Ante Up or Wild Bunch of Extras to you first game.

The other two small expansions, you can look through and decide if you want to add them into your first game or not. They add a little bit of rules overhead, but not much, and the story cards are fun. But you may want to play the first game without the extras just to get familiar with stuff.

Although I recommended that you not mess with each other too much in your first game, and give yourselves a chance to explore all the different things you can do, you will discover that this game is really all about messing with each other. When you are playing for reals, you are going to be robbing each other, arresting each other, setting the sheriff on each other... Ante Up adds a second board, which then spreads you out and makes it more difficult to mess with each other, and allow someone to run away with game due to being able to carry on their business unmolested over on another board. On the other hand, Ante Up adds the train which make it more feasible to win as an outlaw.

It's a sandbox, so you really have to kind of pick and choose what you want to use and not use, depending upon the way you play and what kind of game you want. And some of that is dependent upon player count.
Last edit: 30 Jul 2020 15:09 by ubarose. Reason: My keyboard is dropping letters
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike, WadeMonnig

More
30 Jul 2020 15:32 #312636 by mezike
Awesome, thank you so much.

It’s all in one box so I’m going to spend a fun evening separating it all out again and then mixing back in the bits that that make sense for now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, WadeMonnig

More
30 Jul 2020 15:59 - 30 Jul 2020 18:39 #312638 by WadeMonnig
Replied by WadeMonnig on topic Western Legends
Let everyone pick a character, hold off on ante up, play with at least 3 players, pick your character last and pick opposite side of the law that they are leaning into, hint at what you might do "I could rob you" or "I am tempted to arrest you" "Your carrying a lot of gold nuggets" so they see the risks/rewards and see how they play it out. interaction between players isn't exactly "required" but it can be tons of fun.
Last edit: 30 Jul 2020 18:39 by WadeMonnig.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, allismom3, mezike

More
30 Jul 2020 16:19 #312640 by ubarose
Yes. Someone saying "Those nuggets look might rightly tasty" is enough to make me change my plans and haul ass to the bank. There is a lot of bluff in the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, WadeMonnig

More
03 Aug 2020 11:18 #312737 by mezike
Thanks again for the recommendations posted here. We played over the weekend and absolutely loved it - in fact we ended up playing it four times and kept going way over the normal stopping point because we were having so much fun with it. As I write this the kids are bugging me to know when I will be free to play again this afternoon, it's fair to say this has gone down as a smash hit in this household.

After taking the first game to settle in, the strategic imperative started to kick in and leaning into specific roles is enabling those wonderful roleplaying moments - like the Marshal who came to Clean Up This Town or the 'Baddest Gal in the West' who started shootin' up the place just to prove a point. We are putting on some seriously embarrassing and completely inaccurate Old West accents while playing, there is something about the presentation that just encourages it.

As has been mentioned ad infinitum the rulebook and player aids are badly done, but the game itself is super straightforward and logical to play so it doesn't matter once you get going. I don't get the rest of the bitching that's been going on over on TOS, it looks fine and plays great. We're going to mix in Ante Up on the next game and add in The Man in Black which is by all accounts recommended with only three players.

Definitely eyeing up Blood Money which should be launching next week, extra content is always welcome in a sandbox game and this one has got its hooks into us fer shore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, allismom3, WadeMonnig

More
03 Aug 2020 12:11 #312740 by ubarose
Thanks for reporting back. So glad you all had a fun time with it.

I will definitely be getting in on the Blood Money KS. I am hoping they will offer the upgraded cow chips again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike, WadeMonnig

More
03 Aug 2020 13:58 #312755 by WadeMonnig
Replied by WadeMonnig on topic Western Legends
Glad it was a smash sucess, I know I hoped it would be. The base game is super straight forward, it gets a bit fiddly with Ante up but with that number of games under your belt, I don't see a problem getting over the bump. I do suggest you read my reviews of both if you haven't, I speak to a few of the hiccups we had.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

More
03 Aug 2020 14:52 - 03 Aug 2020 14:54 #312758 by mezike
I always read your reviews Wade :)

We just finished up our first game with Ante Up. I want to say I like it, although I also agree with my daughter’s eye-rolling opinion that it makes the game longer, fiddly, and less exciting to play. I think adding the third town might have been a mistake - it likely helps with a big crowd of five or six playing but even with three the downtime starts to grind and I wouldn’t want to go up to many more players.

I love robbing the train and the event deck though, and the Man in Black is a real jerk who keeps everyone on their toes in a good way. We had no use for Faro, it doesn’t add anything to the game so we just used the gambling table as a general sorta-thematic play area for the Poker Flop. We talked it through afterwards and I think that we’ll use the gambling track sideboard as gambling points add something genuinely worthwhile and then we can still run the train in a loop, but not add the third town and try to muddle through the events. I think that we can make that work with three players.
Last edit: 03 Aug 2020 14:54 by mezike. Reason: Poor turn of phrase
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, WadeMonnig

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.627 seconds