October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Osprey Games Announces Undaunted: North Africa

More
12 Dec 2019 15:50 #305095 by ubarose
The game puts players in command of either the Long Range...

The Undaunted series is set to continue with Undaunted: North Africa, a new two-player deck-building game of tactical combat designed by David Thompson and Trevor Benjamin, with illustrations by Roland MacDonald.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2019 14:35 #305096 by southernman
Yay !!!! - Kiwis.

More
13 Dec 2019 14:49 #305097 by Michael Barnes
This is a GREAT design. That I absolutely wish was not WWII. I’m not into role playing as the Wehrmacht and there is no subject more played out than WWII. But the first game is amazing, and this one likes will be too.

More
13 Dec 2019 16:07 #305098 by southernman

Michael Barnes wrote: This is a GREAT design. That I absolutely wish was not WWII. I’m not into role playing as the Wehrmacht and there is no subject more played out than WWII. But the first game is amazing, and this one likes will be too.

Italians, not the Wehrmacht.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, lj1983

More
13 Dec 2019 17:10 - 13 Dec 2019 17:11 #305099 by Josh Look
He’s talking about the first game. And I agree, HUGE strike against it.
Last edit: 13 Dec 2019 17:11 by Josh Look.

More
14 Dec 2019 09:34 #305108 by southernman
Unless I have to explicitly murder prisoners or execute civilians I have no problem playing games based in WW2 theatres, or any other conflict in human history. It's not as if games like this are never discussed or played by people here, didn't Matt review the first one (or was that another Normandy one) ?

More
14 Dec 2019 13:46 #305110 by ubarose

southernman wrote: Unless I have to explicitly murder prisoners or execute civilians I have no problem playing games based in WW2 theatres, or any other conflict in human history. It's not as if games like this are never discussed or played by people here, didn't Matt review the first one (or was that another Normandy one) ?

Undaunted Normandy been getting nothing but raves here. Matt reviewed it. Josh and Al discussed it on the podcast. Everytime it comes up, people say good things about it.

More
14 Dec 2019 13:46 - 14 Dec 2019 14:18 #305111 by Gary Sax
There's a wide variance on the site vis a vis this subject, southernman, we have lots of straight wargame content. It's just how Josh and Michael feel.

Edit: beaten by ubarose
Last edit: 14 Dec 2019 14:18 by Gary Sax.

More
15 Dec 2019 11:04 #305125 by Sagrilarus
This may be the only game I purchase for Christmas this year. I have nothing on my list and I've been holding off because Combat Commander keeps getting offered up in trade. But it's fallen through twice.

I only have one unplayed game at the moment.

More
15 Dec 2019 11:12 #305126 by Michael Barnes
I’m going to write an article about this subject but at a high level, this is a situation much like Lovecraft- it’s a personal decision and I don’t judge anyone politically for choosing to play WWII games, but maybe with the current rise of nationalism and extreme right politics it’s time to rethink the value of playing as the Wehrmacht.

Thing is, there is absolutely zero historical or educational value in playing most games where you can be the Nazis and historical verisimilitude I could give a fuck about. The lingering popularity of WWII as a game subject has more to do with boomer white men gaming and fantasizing about being Nazis and trainspotting Panzers in the 1970s and 1980s than it does any actual attempt at analyzing or evaluating the more interesting and culturally relevant aspects of WWII.

I -love- Undaunted. But I sit down to play it with my son, he asks why he’s fighting the Germans, I explain it to him at the very highest level, and he looks at me and says “why would you want to play as the Nazis”? That’s not the kind of conversation I want to have playing games- I am all for games taking on challenging and difficult subject matter, but after years and years of hand-waving the notion of refighting WWII and representing Nazis...I’m done with it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look, hotseatgames

More
15 Dec 2019 13:40 #305132 by WadeMonnig
Here's an idea: hotseat does an article on making a game where everything historic wise, such as weapons, are filled in for you versus creating an entirely new planet/ universe and the weapons found to avoid backlash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, lj1983, hotseatgames

More
15 Dec 2019 14:14 #305133 by hotseatgames
I could and should do that... we are taking a LOT of steps in Phantom Division to avoid the complaints we got from SEAL Team Flix.

Ditching the real world is incredibly freeing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Josh Look, WadeMonnig

More
15 Dec 2019 19:29 - 15 Dec 2019 19:47 #305134 by Sagrilarus

Michael Barnes wrote: I’m going to write an article about this subject but at a high level, this is a situation much like Lovecraft- it’s a personal decision and I don’t judge anyone politically for choosing to play WWII games, but maybe with the current rise of nationalism and extreme right politics it’s time to rethink the value of playing as the Wehrmacht.

Thing is, there is absolutely zero historical or educational value in playing most games where you can be the Nazis and historical verisimilitude I could give a fuck about. The lingering popularity of WWII as a game subject has more to do with boomer white men gaming and fantasizing about being Nazis and trainspotting Panzers in the 1970s and 1980s than it does any actual attempt at analyzing or evaluating the more interesting and culturally relevant aspects of WWII.

I -love- Undaunted. But I sit down to play it with my son, he asks why he’s fighting the Germans, I explain it to him at the very highest level, and he looks at me and says “why would you want to play as the Nazis”? That’s not the kind of conversation I want to have playing games- I am all for games taking on challenging and difficult subject matter, but after years and years of hand-waving the notion of refighting WWII and representing Nazis...I’m done with it.

Quite the unburdening, but you just ruled out playing every war in world history.

Let's make a pretend world where everyone is the good guys instead.

Now I sort of have to buy it.
Last edit: 15 Dec 2019 19:47 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, Msample

More
15 Dec 2019 22:44 #305142 by seanmac31
Easily the best game of 2019. I would have preferred an Eastern Front expansion, but will be happy to take what is on offer.

More
17 Dec 2019 16:53 #305211 by marcnelsonjr
It's pretty silly to need to be the "good" guys in a wargame, or any other game involving violence...

"Oh, it's OK - I have a GOOD reason to rip people's bodies apart with high explosives."

Either accept that games aren't real, or stick to Candy Land. Or does that send a problematic message about obesity? ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.445 seconds