October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2695 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Pendulum Coming from Stonemaier Games

More
14 Jul 2020 19:11 #312046 by ubarose
In Pendulum, each player is a powerful, unique noble vying to...

Stonemaier Games announces Pendulum,a real-time,asymmetric worker placement game.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2020 19:41 #312047 by Msample
It can’t suck any worse than TAPESTRY or SCYTHE.

More
14 Jul 2020 19:47 #312048 by Gary Sax
Yes, I get how popular this studio is but it has been real duds for me. Wingspan and Scythe eh.

More
14 Jul 2020 21:54 - 14 Jul 2020 21:56 #312049 by Sagrilarus
I think you all need to be a little more respectful of the world's most important board game publisher.
Last edit: 14 Jul 2020 21:56 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, Frohike, Pugnax555

More
14 Jul 2020 22:01 #312050 by Gary Sax
Hail to the king

More
14 Jul 2020 22:03 #312051 by Msample
I went to BGG to see what kind of froth the lemmings were working themselves into . Turns out the game has a review embargo. WTF? Never heard of that in a boardgame before.

More
14 Jul 2020 22:04 #312052 by Msample

Sagrilarus wrote: I think you all need to be a little more respectful of the world's most important board game publisher.

The one that insists an accounting error is responsible for not being able to supply WINGSPAN to most distributors since last fall?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
14 Jul 2020 22:09 - 14 Jul 2020 22:47 #312053 by Sagrilarus
Reviews aren't necessary for the highest-rated protoype in the history of the Stonemaier Games Design Day. You all need to relax and soak up the worker-placement goodness that this game promises. We'll all be impressed soon enough!

The real question is how to pay in advance for this.

For real this time -- it's worker placement so I'm probably not going to be interested in this one. It certainly looks unique.

Not buying new games means that a review embargo has no effect on me. Given that I can't meet with my game group, likely for months, this one is far off in my future if at all. Always nice to see something different though.
Last edit: 14 Jul 2020 22:47 by Sagrilarus.

More
15 Jul 2020 00:46 #312054 by budsticky
After falling for the gigantic disappointment that was Tapestry I will never pre-order another Stonemaier game again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
15 Jul 2020 01:39 #312056 by ubarose

Msample wrote: I went to BGG to see what kind of froth the lemmings were working themselves into . Turns out the game has a review embargo. WTF? Never heard of that in a boardgame before.

Review embargos for board games are a thing. We deal with them occasionally.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
15 Jul 2020 04:03 #312058 by mc
I am genuinely trying to ask this as neutrally as possible but can't work out how to do it so I will just ask:

Does the embargo last until they have enough backers, or what?

More
15 Jul 2020 04:25 #312060 by mezike
I'm also keen on understanding if a review embargo on a boardgame means the same thing that it does on a movie, i.e. it's a stamp of quality that shouts out "this is going to suck and we want the hype more than we want the publicity".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
15 Jul 2020 04:58 #312063 by Erik Twice
I don't want to pile on Stonemaier, but I've yet to enjoy any of their games.

Tapestry is a polished turd. It's the most polished piece of crap I've ever seen in gaming. It's baffling because so much work and talent has been put into it that I can't imagine why nobody said "wow, this game doesn't work, let's work on a better idea instead".

Wingspan is just dull. I spent 1300 words reviewing it and I feel it was a complete waste. There's simply very little of interest in the game. I don't even hate it. For me the most telling thing about it is that I tried to find people to play it again so I could review it and nobody wanted to. I had to go and play it on my own and with my girlfriend.

Scythe is game faking better, more fun games. I did not have a bad time on my only play, but the game is full of "waist-high walls" that prevent you from doing something fun. A friend loves this game so I'm willing to give it a couple chances. Or maybe not, he also likes Roll Player.

Viticulture is just a typical efficiency game.

mezike wrote: I'm also keen on understanding if a review embargo on a boardgame means the same thing that it does on a movie, i.e. it's a stamp of quality that shouts out "this is going to suck and we want the hype more than we want the publicity".

What you are thinking of is "not screened for critics". A review embargo just means you are sent a copy for review but you are not able to publish it before a certain date or event.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
15 Jul 2020 08:09 #312071 by OhBollox
Between Two Cities is their best game.

More
15 Jul 2020 10:29 #312075 by ubarose

mc wrote: I am genuinely trying to ask this as neutrally as possible but can't work out how to do it so I will just ask:

Does the embargo last until they have enough backers, or what?

With all the embargos we have had, the date was the retail release date (aka street date) of the game. It makes sense, because people have short memories. If they read a review and decide they want to buy the game but can't, the impulse to buy will be gone by the time the game is in the stores, or they will simply forget about it. Even for games that can be pre-ordered, the review embargo date is often the street date, not the opening of pre-orders.

The second benefit of this is that the game will get a flurry of reviews out all at once, which increases its visibility. The game will be in front of people's eyes from multiple sources on social media, as well as multiple entries on the front page of BGG, and the game typically will rise to the top of BGG's hot list.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, mezike, Erik Twice, mc, DarthJoJo

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.270 seconds