October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Mariposas

More
12 Sep 2020 12:59 #314027 by WadeMonnig
Replied by WadeMonnig on topic Mariposas
I'm sure it will find its way into my hands at some point, it looks like something my wife would dig.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2020 08:18 - 14 Sep 2020 08:20 #314049 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Mariposas
Played it last night and I enjoyed it. What an incredibly fascinating game. I do not find it to be heavier than Wingspan, it's definitely a much lower bar to entry but to actually be any good at it is an entirely different situation. I also didn't find it to be mathy, but I also don't notice math as easily as others. I think that it may not have the same wide appeal as Wingspan, but I do think it's the more interesting game and there really isn't anything like it. You pick up vibes of other things, but never anything concrete. I think think it's terrific.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2020 08:20 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
14 Sep 2020 11:03 #314056 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Mariposas
@Josh

I agree with everything you said. It is very rules light and super easy to learn to play. It gets challenging and mathy when you get into “must best my highest score.” My brain immediately went to calculating the average points of movement per game, and the costs and promises of spawning a 4 butterfly in the south positioned so that is could get home and score at end game vs spawning them in the north for 3 points each and no hope of getting it home.

I agree that people who love Wingspan may be disappointed with Mariposas. On the other hand, folks that didn’t care for Wingspam may find Mariposas fascinating.

You may end up being the only one who wants to play it with me. Francie, Al and Zoe were all “meh” on it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Jackwraith, Josh Look

More
14 Sep 2020 11:37 - 14 Sep 2020 12:12 #314057 by Josh Look
Yeah, I haven't gotten to the high score stage yet, I'm still in the get any score at all stage.

I think it's going to be something that is very polarizing, and honestly, I love seeing that right now. I've been looking at posts about an upcoming KS game where there's this idea that games need to offer something for everyone. Like people make demands nowadays and I am so not on board with that. Even if I don't end up liking a game, I find it charming when a designers really commits to a weird, unique idea and and doesn't care about the game pleasing the widest audience as possible in order to make the game they wanted to make. That is clearly the case here and good on Elizabeth and AEG for going for it.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2020 12:12 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead, jeb, Sagrilarus, Msample, mezike

More
14 Sep 2020 20:07 - 14 Sep 2020 20:08 #314073 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Mariposas

Josh Look wrote: Like people make demands nowadays and I am so not on board with that.

This.

“If this game had ( insert whiney demand for shit like dedicated solo bot, minis, playmates, etc) I’d buy it”.

I like how Mark Herman tells people not to buy a game if he thinks they won’t like it, rather than dealing with their entitled whining after the fact.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2020 20:08 by Msample.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Sagrilarus, mezike

More
15 Sep 2020 09:08 #314093 by Josh Look
I once saw someone DEMANDING a solo mode for Fury of Dracula before 3E came out and in that moment I knew the hobby was completely fucked.

More
15 Sep 2020 09:37 #314094 by Msample
The customer is NOT always right.

More
15 Sep 2020 10:06 #314095 by Josh Look
I work in retail. The customer is never right.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Msample

More
15 Sep 2020 14:05 #314099 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Mariposas
I work in sales. Give the customer what they want, not what they ask for.

More
15 Sep 2020 14:18 #314100 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Mariposas
I work in development. I hate all y'all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Jackwraith, birdman37

More
15 Sep 2020 20:26 - 15 Sep 2020 21:22 #314113 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Mariposas
The demands for solo mode have reached a screeching level on BGG. Every time a new game is posted, the soloers are there in force: "But will there be SOLO MODE?!!"

"It's a game about social interactions with other people."

"Oh, so now you're PREJUDICED against solo gamers! Guess I can ignore anything this company does for the rest of time!"

(Kickstarter from same company is announced.)

"But will there be SOLO MODE?!!"
Last edit: 15 Sep 2020 21:22 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct, Msample, Josh Look

More
15 Sep 2020 20:34 #314115 by Msample

Jackwraith wrote: The demands for solo mode have reached a screeching level on BGG. Every time a new game is posted, the soloers are there in force: "But will there be SOLO MODE?!!"

"It's a game about social interactions with other people."

"Oh, so now you're PREJUDICED against solo gamers! Guess I can ignore anything this company does for the rest of time!"

i]Kickstarter from same company is announced.[/i

"But will there be SOLO MODE?!!"

The screechers are begging for solo mode because IRL they are so annoying nobody wants to play live with them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Jackwraith, engineer Al, birdman37

More
15 Sep 2020 22:28 - 16 Sep 2020 00:28 #314121 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Mariposas
It's funny man, I *like* solo games but I completely agree with you all. The obviously best solo games I have ever played were designed that way (Fields of Fire, Comancheria probably). Like, neither of those games makes a moment of sense designed *any other way* thematically.
Last edit: 16 Sep 2020 00:28 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
15 Sep 2020 22:49 #314124 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Mariposas
I'm not judging, but I don't understand wanting to play a board game solo. It seems like an awful lot of fuss and bother compared to playing an app or video game. If Mariposas was a solo game on iOS I'd probably play the heck out of it. But pulling it out and setting it up and then cleaning it up, just to sit any play by myself - too much work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Sagrilarus, Msample, Jackwraith

More
15 Sep 2020 23:29 #314127 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Mariposas
Totally with you. One of the main reasons I'm into board gaming is the social interaction. That's why I get turned off by multiplayer solitaire games (like, say, Wingspan...) and don't understand most complaints about "downtime." I'm there to interact with my friends over this cool game. Playing it by myself? Eh. I've tried it a couple times with things like Tiny Epic Defenders and even in that situation with a game that's almost ideally suited to solo play, it just doesn't resonate with me. I'd much rather have someone(s) else enjoying it with me.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds