October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Camp Grizzly

More
15 Dec 2018 10:10 #288230 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Camp Grizzly
It’s still available. I wouldn’t worry about the expansions, I’m hoping they come out eventually, but the base game provides more than enough play, which is a surprise because it doesn’t look like it would at first blush. $50 is too much if you’re looking at it from a material value, but it’s a steal from a play standpoint.

A bigger publisher, even a small time one, would actually be the worst case scenario for this game. There’s a certain charm to how low budget and DIY this game is, it’s perfect given the films that inspired it and their similar history. I want the game to be successful but at the same time, I love that it’s this somewhat hard to find, not well known thing that you have to hear about word of mouth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2018 10:19 #288231 by Josh Look
My verdict on the Last Friday/Camp Grizzly thing:

Buy both.

They’re completely different games and they’re both really good. Last Friday is a rough gem, but so is CG. Last Friday has some really great, interesting role reversal twists on the hidden movement that I think really shows off the strengths of the genre. It got maligned by the hobby because the rulebook makes the idiotic suggestion that you can play one of its four chapters as a single game, which is 100% a bad idea. You need to see the big picture and you need to play it several times for it to crystallize.

Such an underrated, misunderstood game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
15 Dec 2018 10:46 - 15 Dec 2018 10:46 #288234 by drewcula
Replied by drewcula on topic Camp Grizzly
I laid my hands on the LF components at a convention. Origins? Gencon? I don't remember.
Regardless, I do remember not being impressed with the graphic design, and illustrations. At all.

Camp Grizzly appeals to me more visually, but as you said (or I'm interpolating), it has some rough edges.

CG is on my BGG wishlist. If Santa doesn't surprise me, I may get a copy for myself in the new year.
Last edit: 15 Dec 2018 10:46 by drewcula.

More
15 Dec 2018 10:54 #288236 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Camp Grizzly

drewcula wrote: Which I guess begs the question; how necessary are the expansions?

I'm starting to feel the need for more endgame finale cards.

I believe that the expansions shipped in Sept-Oct to people who backed them on Kickstarter. The publisher said that copies would be available on their website, but I haven't seen them yet. If the expansions never get offered for sale to non-backers, I may hunt down people who got them (looking at you Scott) and beg for scans of finale cards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Scott Rogers

More
15 Dec 2018 11:24 #288238 by Scott Rogers
Replied by Scott Rogers on topic Camp Grizzly

ubarose wrote: I may hunt down people who got them (looking at you Scott) and beg for scans of finale cards.

I'm sure that could be arranged.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
15 Dec 2018 13:23 #288248 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Camp Grizzly
I recently got a copy upon listening to Josh and Al's podcast and I love it for all the reasons already stated. Getting ahold of more cards would be terrific in order to keep replayability high.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
16 Dec 2018 00:55 #288288 by Scott Rogers
Replied by Scott Rogers on topic Camp Grizzly
I have a set of the "intermediatary" cards for sale if you are interested. These were sent out to Kickstarter backers to keep the peasants from revolting about the long wait. Most of them don't have final art but they do have the gameplay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look

More
16 Dec 2018 11:31 - 16 Dec 2018 11:38 #288304 by Josh Look

Scott Rogers wrote: I have a set of the "intermediatary" cards for sale if you are interested. These were sent out to Kickstarter backers to keep the peasants from revolting about the long wait. Most of them don't have final art but they do have the gameplay.

I want to see if they live up to their claim about the expansions coming soon, but put me at the top of the list of interested parties.
Last edit: 16 Dec 2018 11:38 by Josh Look.

More
15 May 2019 08:32 #297058 by Vysetron
Replied by Vysetron on topic Camp Grizzly
Resurrecting this thread because it's relevant to my interests.

A friend recently asked me if Mixtape Massacre was worth their time. I steered them away from that and towards Camp Grizzly or Last Friday, but made it clear that I've played neither. I'd like to fix that.

One of my wife's favorite games is Fury of Dracula so I'm leaning towards Last Friday, but Camp Grizzly looks really popular around here. What's the feel of each round like? It looks like you run for cabins and try to dig through the decks, but I know that's not all there is.

More
15 May 2019 09:07 #297061 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Camp Grizzly
The other main part is managing Otis’ movement and your health. You try to kite him around, away from the really hurt people, all while racing against the clock to find the things you need to escape. That part is pretty dynamic, since your health and movement are in flux, and it keeps things fresh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron

More
15 May 2019 11:16 #297074 by Josh Look

Vysetron wrote: Resurrecting this thread because it's relevant to my interests.

A friend recently asked me if Mixtape Massacre was worth their time. I steered them away from that and towards Camp Grizzly or Last Friday, but made it clear that I've played neither. I'd like to fix that.

One of my wife's favorite games is Fury of Dracula so I'm leaning towards Last Friday, but Camp Grizzly looks really popular around here. What's the feel of each round like? It looks like you run for cabins and try to dig through the decks, but I know that's not all there is.

Once again, It Came From the Tabletop has you covered.

ICFTT 2018 Halloween Special

FWIW, I own Camp Grizzly, Last Friday, and Mixtape Massacre and I wouldn’t give a one of them up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron

More
15 May 2019 11:23 #297076 by Vysetron
Replied by Vysetron on topic Camp Grizzly
I actually already listened to the episode! I'm learning.

The concern I had with MM was that the happy BGG comments were all written in the same blocks of time with accounts that had done nothing else, while the standard BGG accounts were really unhappy with it. It looked dodgy. Camp Grizzly looks like it nails the experience aspect that I'm looking for.

In theory Last Friday would work better because the hunting and turning of tables is conceptually amazing, but it looks like a pretty plain jane hidden movement game as I dig into it further. May as well just play Fury.

More
15 May 2019 12:40 - 15 May 2019 12:47 #297082 by Josh Look
Camp Grizzly is 100% the better experience, emphasis on the "experience." It is more of an activity than it is a game, but nothing else out there can or likely ever will nail the tropes and atmosphere of a Friday the 13th style slasher flick. If anyone is on the fence, get it while you still can.

You're not wrong about MM, though that game is not for the BGG crowd. I'm going to be so bold as to say its the only thing out there that it carries the DNA of The Gothic Game, even if it does offer the alternative win condition other than killing each other.

I had a long response about Last Friday, which is very much more than a vanilla hidden movement game, but I need to save it. That game is pretty high up on the list of games I want to talk about on ICFTT. It's undoubtedly a rough gem, but it is criminally misunderstood. Maybe I can talk Al into a "hidden gems" episode, pair it up with Lazer Ryderz or something.
Last edit: 15 May 2019 12:47 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al, Vysetron

More
15 May 2019 17:08 #297114 by Erik Twice
Replied by Erik Twice on topic Camp Grizzly
A friend of mine owns Last Friday. We played it but never thought much of it. I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it and I don't know what I would say about it now. I don't rememer thinking there was anything special with it.

More
20 Sep 2019 21:28 #301879 by Josh Look
I think it’s over, folks.

Camp Grizzly is now listed as “Not available” on Amazon, which seemed to be the only place to get it. Folks ordering from Ameritrash Games haven’t been getting their orders.

The expansion will forever be my most sought after game.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.318 seconds