October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Camp Grizzly

More
15 Oct 2019 13:31 #302495 by drewcula
Replied by drewcula on topic Camp Grizzly
Thanks bendgar!
I'll be eating bologna-on-hand for the rest of the week, but I got 'em ordered!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2019 13:53 - 15 Oct 2019 13:57 #302496 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Camp Grizzly
3 is badass. Believe it or not. It’s BADASS.

Plus, all of them have new finales.
Last edit: 15 Oct 2019 13:57 by Josh Look.

More
15 Oct 2019 20:44 #302510 by themothman421
Replied by themothman421 on topic Camp Grizzly
Goddammit, missed it again! Maybe third time's the charm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
16 Oct 2019 11:13 #302525 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Camp Grizzly

Josh Look wrote: 3 is badass. Believe it or not. It’s BADASS.

Plus, all of them have new finales.

Dangit! You're not easing my mind!

It was also tough to plop down that much coin for several expansions to a game that I don't get to play often enough as it is. I had to cut corners somewhere.

More
16 Oct 2019 14:48 #302537 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Camp Grizzly
Camp FOMO is even scarier than Camp Grizzly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, themothman421, hotseatgames, Frohike, drewcula, engineer Al, sornars, Vysetron

More
16 Oct 2019 17:58 #302539 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Camp Grizzly
The "early bird" window is fuckin' brutal... because it opens & closes randomly like a guillotine, operated by a tired, demonic, unseen hand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, themothman421, drewcula, engineer Al

More
18 Oct 2019 19:53 - 18 Oct 2019 20:04 #302575 by bendgar
Replied by bendgar on topic Camp Grizzly
Back again. Someone tell Frohike.
Last edit: 18 Oct 2019 20:04 by bendgar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, drewcula

More
18 Oct 2019 22:02 #302577 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Camp Grizzly
GOT EM!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, drewcula, Vysetron

More
18 Oct 2019 22:18 #302578 by engineer Al
Replied by engineer Al on topic Camp Grizzly
ME TOOOO!

More
19 Oct 2019 09:46 #302580 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Camp Grizzly
MESEEKS!!! I mean...me three!

More
19 Oct 2019 14:41 #302582 by drewcula
Replied by drewcula on topic Camp Grizzly
Mine arrived yesterday. The blister packaging is a bit generous, but no matter. The content looks solid, and the illustrations are as wonderfully violent as to be expected. The aesthetic/vibe is old school Mad magazine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Frohike

More
20 Oct 2019 11:14 #302598 by Shellhead
Friday night was the Halloween edition of the monthly hipster boardgaming group. Usually there are more women than men present, with a mixture of hipsters and roller derby girls, but this time there were more dudes. Nearly all of them had beards and flannel shirts, and most were drinking locally-made craft microbrews. I was 90 minutes late to a friend's birthday dinner, so both tables of players were already playing games. One more late arrival showed up minutes later, so we sat down to play Camp Grizzly.

Camp Grizzly is not a good two-player game. There, I said it. As soon as one counselor gets wounded, it's likely that Otis will hunt that character to extinction. There might not be enough time for the other player to collect a set of items for an escape finale, so Otis will soon focus on exterminating the second counselor for the win. That was exactly how our game played out.

One of the tables finished their game as we were putting away Camp Grizzly, so I brought it over to their table and easily sold them on a game. Six-player Camp Grizzly is generally a good time, but we had miserable luck this game. My counselor single-handedly added four to the bodycount just from discovery tiles and cabin card draws. Our only weapon was the shard of glass. We had a couple of early casualties, and then the blood moon came out, doubling Otis' damage to SIX. We lost quickly.

So we had to play again. Game three was better, especially now that everybody had a better idea of what to expect. Karen's boyfriend showed up late in the game to steal some keys (and deprive us of the Ranger Tower finale cards), and then we awesomely all escaped via the van and ran into his gang. The fight with the gang was tough, but we had good weapons this game and even Mr. Slicey. We all six won, and it felt like a well-deserved win after the previous loss.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
20 Oct 2019 11:23 #302599 by Shellhead
So of course all the expansions arrived on Saturday afternoon. It was a nice, sunny day, so I was too busy wrapping up yard and other exterior projects to get much of a look at the new material. So far, I have only opened and examined the first two expansions. As Drewcula said, the blister packaging is odd. On the one hand, the expansions will look great if Camp Grizzly goes retail. On the other hand, the individual expansion packs are awkward products. Each pack contains at least a couple of over-sized cards, with a new character and another card for new rules or variants. Then there is a small set of regular cards, including Cabin cards and maybe Survival cards. A couple of new bases for the new character and the new cameo, and maybe some additional tokens like the ammo tokens in expansion #2. The new counselors that I have seen tend to undermine the co-op nature of the game and encourage more selfish play. One of the new cameos seems like a major pain in the neck, as he goes around the board generating new lock doors. The ranged weapons might make the game a little easier, so maybe the more challenging new elements help balance things out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
20 Oct 2019 19:30 #302607 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Camp Grizzly
We played our first game with the expansions this afternoon. We went all in with the exception of the snuffed cards.

I have to say, this was probably one of the best games of Camp Grizzly I’ve ever had. There’s a lot more that can happen now (the Cabin deck was hardly touched when we finished) and a lot of it interacts in some weird and interesting ways. It’s a little bit sillier, but it feels like such a more diverse array of things that can happen.

We didn’t make it to the finale (body count saw to that) but we were close. It was more due to random stuff that could have happened in the game without the expansions than it was anything we added in.

Verdict so far: Sooooooooooo worth the wait. Folks trying to analyze if it will be more or less difficult, I wouldn’t worry, the decks are massive now and you’ll never see all of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Frohike

More
21 Oct 2019 00:10 #302608 by scottishzombie
Replied by scottishzombie on topic Camp Grizzly
Had my eye on the game for 2+ years, but finally pulled the trigger due to the recent developments. Hopefully it isn't for nought. At the very least, I'll finally have the base game I suppose. Fingers crossed more get made available.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.268 seconds