October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2701 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

MB Pop Up Shop is OPEN

More
17 Aug 2021 12:31 #325695 by Michael Barnes
Time to move some things on, will combine to lower shipping costs as much as I can.

Lisboa plus deluxe add on
Kanban EV plus mini expansion
The Gallerist

These are the big Vital Lacerda games from Eagle-Gryphon. They are all beautiful, all are incredible designs. Alas, they are just sitting on my shelf at this point but I did enjoy them tremendously earlier this year. All have mini expansions that you buy separately. $120 shipped per

Rococo - Another EGG thing, this is an absolutely sinful production of a great 2013 Euro about tailoring. One of the nicest board games I’ve ever owned, it’s just deluxe. Includes the metal coins. $125 shipped

Spirit Island- much beloved anti-colonial game, which I oddly don’t really care for. It’s the second time I’ve owned it and it just doesn’t work for me. But it is highly regarded by just about everyone else LOL $40

Nusfjord- wonderful Uwe Rosenberg design about a fishing village, includes Salmon deck. Box is a little dinged- $50 shipped

Maglev Metro- awesome futuristic train game with acrylic tiles- loved this one. $45
Shipped

Mexica- lovely Supermeeple version with resin pyramids and such. Classic Kramer design. $50 shipped

Ethnos- CMON’s only good game. $35 shipped

Greece Lighting- Family trireme racing game that I’m not crazy about. $20 shipped

Irish Gauge- brilliant Amabel Holland “Iron Rails” game with great o’Toole art- $30 shipped

Some zines/RPG

Seekers Beyond the Shroud- solo modern horror/occult thing. Cool book with lots of interesting material to run solo. $20 shipped

Myrrk Volume 1- really cool game book with isometric drawings for every room. Much more detailed system than Fighting Fantasy. $20 shipped

Artefact- solo journaling style RPG where you are…an artefact. $15 shipped

Orbital- solo space station RPG with great production value, similar to Artefact (same designer)s- $15

Mystic Punks- crazy high school-set solo RPG with a classic punk rock/goth angle $20 shipped

Bunker- two black/white/red zines that depict a very Fallout/Gamma World-esque post apocalypse setting for any OSR style system - $20 shipped

Pariah- described as a “Psychedelic proto-Neolithic animist old school role playing game”. Full system. $15 shipped

Adventurers Guide to the Yol’najj Forest- weird fantasy setting/adventure with a heavy Mike Mignola influence $15 shipped

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2021 12:58 #325696 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic MB Pop Up Shop is OPEN
I mean this in only the most jovial way, but if I read one of your reviews that makes me interested in a game, it’s guaranteed that you will sell it off at some point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, jpat, Msample

More
17 Aug 2021 13:27 #325699 by Michael Barnes
LOL I just don’t really keep much. I’m not a collector.I love a few of these games but I’ve played them, enjoyed them, and I’m ready for them to live somewhere else.

I keep very few games around for more than a year if it’s not something my kids want to play and ask for. There are small handful of games I’m just not going to sell but that’s stuff like Dune, Cosmic, El Grande kinds of things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
17 Aug 2021 17:04 - 17 Aug 2021 17:08 #325713 by barrowdown
Replied by barrowdown on topic MB Pop Up Shop is OPEN
Did you write reviews of the EGG stuff? I do not remember seeing you post those and they didn't pop up with a search.

Edit: I am aware of your posts in the playing thread. I'm more looking for an overall summary of your thoughts on the various games after playing them all and letting them sit for a bit now. Also, if you have a feel for different player counts with them.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2021 17:08 by barrowdown.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
17 Aug 2021 17:32 - 17 Aug 2021 17:34 #325716 by Michael Barnes
I just did posts, I didn’t do a formal review.

Kanban is the best of them- it’s a fascinating, complicated design that offers a lot of layers to think about. It’s quite opaque at first, but once you figure out how the goals work and the pathways to get there, it totally makes sense. It’s wonderfully tactile- moving cars along a production line, putting them on a test track, managing a garage-very high touch stuff. Solo mode is by David Turczi and it’s the strongest of the lot. I’d be hesitant to go last 3 players with it unless everyone is experienced with it. It’s one of the best looking games I’ve ever seen and in fact it’s quality is what prompted me to get the the other Lacerdas I tried.

Lisboa is kind of like a Lacerda-ized take on a traditional Euro. Again, layered, multidimensional and interdependent systems make for a complex but compelling play. There’s a lot going on and it can be somewhat daunting, but I’ve also found that this one is actually his most accessible because the relationships between mechanisms is more clear. The setting is really interesting- rebuilding Lisbon after a series of disasters- and it’s a neat game where influence, commerce, politics, economics, the church, and cultural impact all come into play. The solo mode is a simple blocking automata that works well enough but I feel like this is best with 3-4.

The Gallerist is really cool and I especially like the fine art world setting. It’s all about finding upcoming artists, promoting them, showing their work, and profiting from them while also managing attendance at your gallery. It’s a bit more direct than the other two, I found it the easiest to grasp in terms of process. It is still quite complex though, but I think the goals and objectives are easier to get a hold of here. But that said, it’s pretty challenging and the solo mode here is another blocking thing. It’s not simulating another player, really, and you are more up against the system. But it’s fun and engaging. This one is fine with 2-4.

I love all three of these and I’m glad to have gotten to play and own them. The one big caveat is that they are all kind of setup intensive. Especially Kanban. The built in organization solutions help, but these are not box to table in 5 minutes titles. They are immensely rewarding, with unique settings and gameplay that isn’t afraid of depth or complication but you do have to work at it. I think I played like four half games of Kanban before I really felt like I was getting to the meat of it and not just flailing around. I would also warn that if you plan on playing with others, they are really going to need to read the rules and commit to a learning game
Last edit: 17 Aug 2021 17:34 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jpat, sornars, barrowdown, Kmann

More
17 Aug 2021 18:17 #325720 by Michael Barnes
Oh I didn’t actually all about Rococo. It’s way more approachable than the Lacerdas. It’s a 2013 design and I think it may be one of the best of that “Bronze Age”’of Eurogames. It’s easy, fun to play, and the Louis XIV era setting is wonderful. There’s a nice balance of economics, production, and crafting with some light area control and even a very slight touch of deck building. Lots of tough choices to make throughout the design. The solo mode, Madam DuBarry, is pretty capricious- a card-driven bot that feels like it’s out to crush you or is totally ignoring you. This plays really well with any number and has scaling built in. The production is exquisite, I got the metal coins because at that point why not. It is, technically, expensive for this kind of game but the production and artwork really elevate it to something special. You put this out and people are going to gawk and want to play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, barrowdown

More
18 Aug 2021 11:06 - 18 Aug 2021 11:07 #325778 by barrowdown
Replied by barrowdown on topic MB Pop Up Shop is OPEN
Thanks for the mini-reviews. They are all enticing to me, but I anticipate them ending up as shelf toads for me.

If I could have normal game groups again, maybe I would spring for them. They all do look gorgeous and I love the opacity and multiple layers of mechanical interaction. I have one face-to-face player and, while he would be interested in these games, it sounds like 2-player is not where they shine.
Last edit: 18 Aug 2021 11:07 by barrowdown.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds