- Posts: 1700
- Thank you received: 1702
F:ATties Five Favorites - Ameritrash
#3) Survive (1996 waddingtons version or german pegasus version or 30th anniversary edition)
#4) Kaiju Arena (rethemed and slightly redesigned Krosmaster Arena)
#5) Room 25
(June 2017 update)
#1 Wiz-War Still the king. Long live the king.
#2 Dungeonquest No nonsense dungeon crawl. Its purity is next to godliness.
#4 Destroy all Monsters! (My kaiju retheme of Gorechosen. This is GW doing it right)
#5 Room 25 is still hanging in there as my go to traitor game. Criminally underrated, you damn philistines.
I'm still a bit sad that Nexus Ops ever makes my lists. I love it, yet don't want to play it nearly as much as the above.
(April 2019 update)
#1 Wiz-War Really, there is no need to add anything else, as this is all you will ever need. Go home folks, nothing else to see here. Just get this one single game and all of your ameritrash dreams will come true.
#2 Blitz Bowl ok. This is the best five, so more is needed. The #2 slot seems to be reserved for the ameritrash du jour. And this takes that slot easily.
#4 Destroy all Monsters! (My kaiju retheme of Gorechosen. This one has gotten a lot better over the last couple years.
#5 Room 25 ...is still hanging in there. Still criminally underrated.
2. Blood Bowl (3rd edition - living rulebook era) - ran a league back in 95 - 97 and now again for the past five years... such a brilliant campaign system
3. Crossbows and Catapults - played on a ping pong table with a shit tonne of house rules and thirty elastics on each weapon.
4. History of the World - A Ragnar Brothers masterpiece
5. Circus Maximus - so much fun especially with miniatures on an oversized board.
Honourable Mentions: Titan, Shogun (MB Gamemaster Series), Wallenstein, Talisman (2nd Edition), Warhammer Fantasy Battle (3rd Edition - Hardbacks with Lost to the Damned and Slaves to Darkness), Necromunda, Fire and Axe, and Whiskey Traders (yeah it's my own design but i f'ing love playing it).
Pish posh. It's OK, but there are even chunkier games out there now.
fortcircle wrote: The name of this site is Fortress Ameritrash - for Fortress America not to be universally loved is blasphemy.
I am submitting again here. Things have changed. My kids can play bigger stuff, &c.
- NEXUS OPS--I just love this game to bits. It looks cool, it plays well, it rewards boldness, and you can stage miraculous comebacks. Amazing.
- MAGICAL ATHELETE--If you have not played this with a 5yo you have something wrong with your life.
- SURVIVE--"I didn't klll your last two swimmers, Jessica, the sea serpent did."
- TITAN--The best board game ever made. I will fight you.
- DUNE--Also the best board game ever made.
Sarnon wrote: Colorcrayons,
What is this Kaiju Arena of which you speak? Can't find anything about it.
Colorcrayons wrote: #4)Kaiju Arena (rethemed and slightly redesigned Krosmaster Arena)
Its just a retheme I made. Its spot has since been replaced by Gorechosen.
Da Bid Dabid wrote: Top 3 is easy for me:
1. Blood Bowl
2. TI: 3 (w/expansion)
3. Arkham Horror
Then the waters get muddy but I guess I'll settle on:
4. Space Hulk
5. Formula D
I'm stunned that my brain at one point considered Formula D as a favorite game, 2011 was a long time ago I guess. A proper top 5:
1. Blood Bowl
3. TI: 3 (w/expansion)
4. Tigris and Euphrates
5. DungeonQuest (GW)
It pains me to keep Spartacus off this list but it didn't say top 6.
fortcircle wrote: Survive is fun, but that is a game you can play with random strangers at the old folks home. If you aren't rolling dice to kill godless commies or wretched Nazis, is it really worthy of the title Ameri-trash?
Recuing your own innocent people from gigantic sea monsters, man eating sharks and killer whales capsizing your ship attempting to drown them, all while trying to make those same greeblies decimate your opponents innocent people from a sinkibg island before the entire board explodes from a cataclysmic volcanic eruptuon, doesn't count as ameritrash?
I dare say its more ameritrash than most games that enjoy the monicker, and mechanically compelling to boot.
Ameritrash games lie awake at night, pining to be this good.