- Posts: 5548
- Thank you received: 2574
Short Cut to Remote Gaming Forum (29 Aug 2020)
Since remote gaming has now become a significant part of how we play board games, we have added a short cut to this forum in the menu on the left.
Top 5 DoaM Games
Here is the original Dudes on a Map article
And here's a What DoaMs do you Own
Divine Right(!!!) - edit: whoops, mentioned by Shellhead of course
Valley of the Mammoths
Kings and Things
Here I Stand
Sons of Anarchy
Back to reality I'd agree that Nexus Ops is #1. It's currently my most played game as both my boys are fiends for it - there must be something in the dayglo plastic.
*Ok, so the map is pretty abstracted, but they certainly have the "dudes" part down.
Nah - definitely worker placement, it has to be because my euro group will play it and always beat me by a wide margin.
Shellhead wrote: I'm a fan of the Sons of Anarchy game, but consider it worker placement and not DoaM. Then again, I hate worker placement but enjoy Sons of Anarchy, so maybe I'm wrong about the DoaM aspect.
1. War of the Ring - The most epic DoaM game ever made, and still my favorite game of all time.
2. Cthulhu Wars - Fast, fun, accessible, and tons of content. Surprised to see Chaos in the Old World beating this one out, as this fired that game completely (which I still own purely for sentimental reasons)
3. Nexus Ops - This one is the "Risk" of the modern generation, and is the purest DoaM out there of any worth. Got this to the table about a month ago, and it's still great.
4. Forbidden Stars - The. Best. Combat. System. Hands down. And the order system aint bad either. Just wish the rules overhead was lighter...
5. Star Wars: Rebellion (with expansion) - More a cousin to War of the Ring, you still have to appreciate the massing of fleets and the hunt for the rebels. Expansion helps the combat out some, though still room for improvement.
Interestingly, when thinking through this, I had to remove a lot of "Dudes in a Corridor" or "Dudes in an Arena" games from consideration. I think I can come up with more of them. Might need a new list... Is this why Duel of Ages II isn't in this list? I still need to learn how to play that damn game, myself.
RobertB wrote: Worker Placement + Combat, without any geography whatsoever.
Yeah - I think there's only so far the definition can be stretched to )
Dudes on Some Squares
Like chess and checkers then ?
As i said stretching the definition makes the term pretty meaningless.