October 09, 2023
2426 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2633 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Welcome to one of the oldest board game communities on the Internet. That may sound like hyperbole but it really is true.

We are really happy to have you here. Unfortunately, being online we can't bond with you over a game so you'd know right away how happy we are to meet you. For now, you'll just have to take our word for it.

This site has always thrived on lively discussion and spirited but civil debate. We hope that newcomers here will find a welcoming atmosphere where game enthusiasts of all levels of experience and commitment will have something to add to the conversation. You never need to prove your “gamer cred” here. Whether you have been playing board games for a few months or a few decades; whether you have a huge collection or a small one; whether you have been a member here for years or just joined today – your opinion is valued here.

We know that it can be intimidating to jump into a new community and want to assure you that this is NOT the kind of forum where people will tell you that you posted something in the wrong place, or that you should have found an existing thread on the topic, or that you shouldn’t have resurrected an old thread.

So if you find a thread or an article discussion that interests you, whether it is old or new, feel free to jump in. Want to discuss a specific game or board gaming related topic just start a new topic. If you don’t know which forum to put it in, just make your best guess (we really don’t care all that much. It’s easy enough for a moderator to move it or merge it, if necessary).

A good place to get started is by introducing yourself in the “New Members Introduce Yourself” thread (below) or by telling us what you have been playing in the “What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?" thread ( therewillbe.games/forum/35-mos-eisley-ca...ave-you-been-playing ).

Have fun, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Explain Your Avatar

More
03 Sep 2010 09:12 #72981 by Juniper
Explain Your Avatar was created by Juniper
Is that Warren Ellis from the Bad Seeds? And what's with the tree? I just don't get your avatars, people.

If you have a story that you'd like to share about your avatar, then this is the thread for you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2010 09:16 #72982 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Mine is the logo for Arrogant Bastard Ale. And I use it because, well...

More
03 Sep 2010 09:18 #72984 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Me, wig, shitty old ovation mandolin that I traded in for a Weber.

Why, because mandolin is my other big hobby.

But I think mine is one of the obvious ones.

I try to stick to making my on-line persona just like me, flaws and all.

More
03 Sep 2010 09:24 #72985 by Hatchling
Replied by Hatchling on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Mine's a photo of Tom Waits.

More
03 Sep 2010 09:32 #72986 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
My avatar should be familiar to modern movie-goers and fans of Marvel Comics.

Why did I choose it? Iron Man is one of my favorite superheroes. And the first online forum that I joined was only lightly-moderated for the first couple of years, and regulars used to jokingly warn new posters to "put on a helmet." So when I joined a comic book forum sometime later, I was delighted to find that the silver age nickname for Iron Man hadn't been claimed yet. So I "put on a helmet," at least in my avatar picture.

More
03 Sep 2010 09:40 #72987 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
My avatar is the cover of the game I designed, House of Spirits. If I manage to get a second game published, I'll change it. :)

More
03 Sep 2010 10:00 #72990 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Mine's a Bauhaus Hussar sergeant from Warzone (Mutant Chronicles).

More
03 Sep 2010 10:09 - 03 Sep 2010 10:10 #72991 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Mine is from the cover of the book Testament by John Romer.

[img size=200x300] g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/....L._SL500_AA300_.jpg [/img]

This book galvanized my perspective on faith and in doing so made a significant difference in my life. I wanted an avatar that would look like somebody writing something, and when I restumbled across the image on my bookshelf I decided to grab it.

I turned it B&W for this web site since its color scheme was more reserved than most, though that's changed a bit in the last year or two.

S.
Last edit: 03 Sep 2010 10:10 by Sagrilarus.

More
03 Sep 2010 10:18 - 03 Sep 2010 10:27 #72993 by MattFantastic
It's me. With a wrench in my mouth. I needed an avatar a while back for something else and it was the first photo I saw that I could easily crop a decently ridiculous looking avatar out of.

It's all part of my "use your real name you internet creeper" initiative. I think a lot of people here have heard me talk about it in person, since that's when it really matters, but I never ever want to deal with meeting people I know from online and being all "oh hey porknutz44, I'm thunderfucker69, what's up". I get that some people have work stuff that would frown on internet activity, or that some people use their used in real life nickname, but otherwise it's just a sorta weird and creepy hold over from way back when. Break free from the bonds of AOL!
Last edit: 03 Sep 2010 10:27 by MattFantastic.

More
03 Sep 2010 10:29 #72995 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Well I used to be really into underground hip hop and one of my favorite MC/producers is MF Doom, a New York rapper who has a persona borrowed from the Fantastic 4's arch nemesis Doctor Doom. The "MF" stands for metal face as MF Doom always goes on stage with a metal mask on.

So metalface13 became my moniker more as a tribute to the artist, than love for Doctor Doom.

When it came time to pick an avatar for F:AT I thought it appropriate to steal a photo from BGG of a figure from one of my favorite games, Marvel Heroes, that fit my moniker well enough.

More
03 Sep 2010 10:30 #72996 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Oh man, Loter, I think you should reshoot that portrait to have a CHAINSAW clenched between your teeth!

More
03 Sep 2010 10:35 #72998 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Before F:At had started, I registered for Blogger with this dumb idea that I would run a blog about my dog, written from the point of view of my dog. That's why my Blogger account used my dog's name and face.

When F:At was on Blogspot, I used my Blogger account to comment on the articles there, so I was posting in my dog's name.

When F:At moved off Blogspot, I decided to stick with my dog's name for the sake of continuity. People knew me as Juniper so I thought it would be confusing to change. My username on Boardgamegeek was St. Elvis, but that account is long gone now.

More
03 Sep 2010 10:54 #73002 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Re:Explain Your Avatar
Mine is the broach on Space Ghost's costume. Always was a big fan of the original cartoon and I find the talkshow pretty funny due to the awkwardness of the interviews.

More
03 Sep 2010 11:06 #73003 by ChristopherMD
Mine was originally the cover of DOOM: The Board Game, but I later reversed the image to save FFG the trouble of sending a cease and desist letter. ;-)

More
03 Sep 2010 11:12 #73004 by Stephen Avery
I think Michelle Zendas (Sp?) has Zorak.
You should meet and do battle.

Steve"Random Trivia"Avery

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds