October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Welcome to one of the oldest board game communities on the Internet. That may sound like hyperbole but it really is true.

We are really happy to have you here. Unfortunately, being online we can't bond with you over a game so you'd know right away how happy we are to meet you. For now, you'll just have to take our word for it.

This site has always thrived on lively discussion and spirited but civil debate. We hope that newcomers here will find a welcoming atmosphere where game enthusiasts of all levels of experience and commitment will have something to add to the conversation. You never need to prove your “gamer cred” here. Whether you have been playing board games for a few months or a few decades; whether you have a huge collection or a small one; whether you have been a member here for years or just joined today – your opinion is valued here.

We know that it can be intimidating to jump into a new community and want to assure you that this is NOT the kind of forum where people will tell you that you posted something in the wrong place, or that you should have found an existing thread on the topic, or that you shouldn’t have resurrected an old thread.

So if you find a thread or an article discussion that interests you, whether it is old or new, feel free to jump in. Want to discuss a specific game or board gaming related topic just start a new topic. If you don’t know which forum to put it in, just make your best guess (we really don’t care all that much. It’s easy enough for a moderator to move it or merge it, if necessary).

A good place to get started is by introducing yourself in the “New Members Introduce Yourself” thread (below) or by telling us what you have been playing in the “What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?" thread ( therewillbe.games/forum/35-mos-eisley-ca...ave-you-been-playing ).

Have fun, and we look forward to hearing from you.

New Members Introduce Yourself

More
15 May 2011 20:35 #96364 by SaMoKo
I also like doubleposting.

Just thought I'd add that I fucking HATE Dominion which seems to be the new craze. The entire game is a solitaire VP race which doesn't really feel different no matter how many new cards they pump out like clockwork. It's like Thurn and Taxis with a new map every time you play. A new map doesn't make it not shit. Anyone who picks this over Cosmic Encounter or whatever I just don't get.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2011 20:47 #96365 by jeb
Despite the name, we're ecumenical here. One of the world's best CAYLUS players has been chilling here for years. CAYLUS! That's like being the best at chewing tinfoil. I digress.

Welcome. We're not anti-any-game. We're more pro-gamer mindset. Some games don't encourage interacting (like DOMINION, as noted) or having a good time (like CAYLUS--what a slog), and that's too bad. That time would be better spent reading rules to CHAOS IN THE OLD WORLD or setting up the latest tactical minis rage.

More
15 May 2011 22:45 #96370 by repoman
Hi,

Name: Jeff
Occupation: Owner of a towing company (although I was a repoman for many years before that)

Wargames are my usual game of choice though I'm by no means a "counter clipper", subject to AP, or play every game as if a sub optimal move would rend a tear in the fabric of time and space.

I am particularly fond of Paths of Glory and Fury of Dracula. My current game of choice is Through the Ages.

The only games I truly despise are "puzzle" games like Ricochet Robots or Ubongo. What's worse than a puzzle game...a puzzle game with a timer.

I live down the road from Uba and we occasionally play games FtF.

I did attend ConnCon 2011. You may remember me as the gray haired middle aged guy with a pot belly...uh wait..that doesn't narrow it down does it. Well I ran the Dominant Species game Sunday morning..uhh....this is F.A.T....you guys were still sleeping. Well I was there anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Dr. Mabuse

More
16 May 2011 13:14 #96401 by ubarose
Hi Jeff. Guess I have to watch what I say here about wargamers from now on ;)

More
16 May 2011 14:34 #96403 by Sagrilarus
A man with a tow truck is a good friend to have. You'd do well to buy this man a beer.

S.

More
25 May 2011 01:50 #96936 by Egg Shen
Just thought I'd drop in and introduce myself.

I'm Mike.

I've been coming to the site for a while and figured I should just register so I can shoot the shit with the rest of you.

I started playing games back when I was a young kid...mostly the family stuff like Life and Monopoly. Then I moved onto awesome games such as Heroquest and Omega Virus. I also stuck my toe in the shallow end of the D&D and Magic the Gathering pool. Those were never a big draw for me though. In High-school videogames and sports were my main interests, so I packed away my boardgames for quite a while.

A few years after college I rekindled my love of boardgames and I haven't looked back. I play games as a fun way to socialize with friends. When I got back into gaming I discovered many gems that I missed out on from my youth like Cosmic Encounter and Talisman. I also dabbled in some of the Euro stuff, but the lack of being able to completely screw over the guy sitting next to me left me wondering where all the fun was... and thats the bottom line. I play boardgames because they are fun.

My two most recent purchases were Magical Athlete and The Awful Green Things From Outer Space. I can't wait to play them.

That's pretty much me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
16 Jun 2011 19:57 #98071 by Anthony Duclos
Hello everyone -

Long time lurker, but frequent visitor!

Reading these forums makes me feel very much at home and among friends. Probably because my usual gamer buddies all like the harass and have a good time playing games. We usually can make the roughest/silliest game enjoyable with a few good beers and some good laughs. That's pretty much the best kind of gaming anyway, among good people!

I started with stuff like Heroquest and GW games...I love games with lots of "stuff" but I like more simpler games too where its more about the company. One example - anything dexterity based. My brother in law cant flick to save his life, so its always a good time fetching discs off the kitchen floor. Pitchcar, Catacombs...now Ascending Empires...haha

Been working on being less of a collector and more of a player. The discussions here are always a welcome compliment to TOS since there is much more of a critical eye given to games. Not every new game is as awesome as it seems, so its good to have a place where games go through a more thoughtful examination by like-minded people.

I'm usually up for anything that is thematic, random, chaotic or a combination of those 3 things. If a game lets me go off on a tangent, that's awesome...I don't like the game dictating things. If I want to play sub-optimally and be a royal pain then I'm totally doing that to experiment. Exploring and learning new things in a game is always enjoyable. I may only score a few points or come in dead last, but if it creates a fun story or narrative I would do it every time :D

Also a fairly active 360 player so appreciate reading feedback on new games too. I wear my Ameritrash badge with pride

Look forward to chatting more with folks and my continued lurking, haha
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Black Barney

More
16 Jun 2011 20:01 #98072 by Black Barney

Anthony Duclos wrote: Reading these forums makes me feel very much at home and among friends. Probably because my usual gamer buddies all like the harass and have a good time playing games.

DO NOT WANT.

hehe, sounds like you'll totally fit in fine here.

And that's great to hear you are a fairly active 360 player! Look forward to talkin' about games with you. I wonder which camp you'll fall into...

anyway, welcome welcome to you and Eggy.

More
20 Sep 2011 16:13 #103884 by bomber
Hi
Like Mr.Barnes, I managed to get myself "banned" from BGG (laughably those weasels managed to pervert me leaving the site quietly into a little drama so they could drag my name into the mud and justify some half assed trumped up bullshit to say they "banned" me). Not as interesting as MB's comedy ban, and I don't have as much time or energy to contribute much at the moment, but hopefully I can fit in here a bit better from time to time. Just don't talk shit about my wife and baby son and we'll get along just fine

Oh, and to the hall monitor currently in charge of monitoring the new account logins. LOL. I mean, seriously.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Hatchling

More
20 Sep 2011 16:18 #103887 by san il defanso
Welcome, ldsd. I've enjoyed your posts on the Geek, so it's nice to see you back where the interesting people hang out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bomber

More
20 Sep 2011 16:20 #103888 by Sagrilarus

ldsdbomber wrote: Oh, and to the hall monitor currently in charge of monitoring the new account logins. LOL. I mean, seriously.

We gave them the job to feel important.

S.

More
20 Sep 2011 16:46 #103893 by Pug
Hey everyone,

New member, hailing from Montreal up in Canada. Been reading the forums for quite a while now, and have enjoyed reading all the various articles and reviews on the site. I like long walks on the beach... wait, wrong forum. I like theme heavy games like Aliens, Claustrophobia, Hero Quest (the game I grew up with), and am always looking to find something new to try out. Most of my friends are non gamers, so I have very few 3+ player games, so I play a lot of solo games sadly, but it fills the gaps when I need it! Look forward to meeting everyone on the forums!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Hatchling

More
20 Sep 2011 16:52 #103895 by Ken B.
Welcome Pug!

More
20 Sep 2011 17:19 #103900 by ThirstyMan
Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome
Gluklich zu sehen, je suis enchante, happy to see you
Bleibe, reste, stay

dum de dum de dum.......

More
20 Sep 2011 18:19 #103910 by Msample

ldsdbomber wrote: Hi
Like Mr.Barnes, I managed to get myself "banned" from BGG (laughably those weasels managed to pervert me leaving the site quietly into a little drama so they could drag my name into the mud and justify some half assed trumped up bullshit to say they "banned" me). Not as interesting as MB's comedy ban, and I don't have as much time or energy to contribute much at the moment, but hopefully I can fit in here a bit better from time to time. Just don't talk shit about my wife and baby son and we'll get along just fine

Oh, and to the hall monitor currently in charge of monitoring the new account logins. LOL. I mean, seriously.

Oh, please post a link to your BGG exit. I could use a good laugh.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds