October 09, 2023
2446 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Welcome to one of the oldest board game communities on the Internet. That may sound like hyperbole but it really is true.

We are really happy to have you here. Unfortunately, being online we can't bond with you over a game so you'd know right away how happy we are to meet you. For now, you'll just have to take our word for it.

This site has always thrived on lively discussion and spirited but civil debate. We hope that newcomers here will find a welcoming atmosphere where game enthusiasts of all levels of experience and commitment will have something to add to the conversation. You never need to prove your “gamer cred” here. Whether you have been playing board games for a few months or a few decades; whether you have a huge collection or a small one; whether you have been a member here for years or just joined today – your opinion is valued here.

We know that it can be intimidating to jump into a new community and want to assure you that this is NOT the kind of forum where people will tell you that you posted something in the wrong place, or that you should have found an existing thread on the topic, or that you shouldn’t have resurrected an old thread.

So if you find a thread or an article discussion that interests you, whether it is old or new, feel free to jump in. Want to discuss a specific game or board gaming related topic just start a new topic. If you don’t know which forum to put it in, just make your best guess (we really don’t care all that much. It’s easy enough for a moderator to move it or merge it, if necessary).

A good place to get started is by introducing yourself in the “New Members Introduce Yourself” thread (below) or by telling us what you have been playing in the “What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?" thread ( therewillbe.games/forum/35-mos-eisley-ca...ave-you-been-playing ).

Have fun, and we look forward to hearing from you.

New Members Introduce Yourself

More
01 Nov 2011 15:06 #106902 by Black Barney
OWW!!

Hey, I still don't see the white women behind this rock? What gives?!

BONK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2011 18:31 #106928 by MattFantastic

Nitsuj wrote: where the white women at?

HAAAAAAAAAY!

More
02 Feb 2012 06:59 #115041 by cdennett
Resurrecting this thread as apparently I've decided to lurk less and participate more. Of course, I find I've only been participating when I don't play computer games, so we'll see how long that lasts. And besides, it's fun to see what lurkers pop up, make a post, and then fall off the internet cliff.

Hi, my name is Chris, I'm 35, and I have a problem. I must obsess about something in my life. It's just the way I'm wired. Computer games, D&D, books, and other geekly pursuits mostly fill this list, though SCUBA diving, skiing and other things occasionally make the cut. My current obsession is board games. And that's what brings me to you guys.

The original Space Quest on the PC blew my mind, and that started me down the computer game path. In middle school I started playing Dungeons and Dragons and other pen-n-paper RPGs, and I continued to play this throughout high school. In college I ditched the RPGs, but stayed faithful to computers. Shortly after leaving college, I elbowed my way into a newly formed D&D group at work and played weekly for nearly 10 years. During that time I got married, had a kid, and played way too much World of Warcraft. And then the wife left (no, not because of WoW, she played more than me), and I became a single parent most of the time. Because I couldn't get my old group to relocate to my house and babysitting would be prohibitively expensive, I lost my only geek social outlet.

This was not a happy time for me. Now, I had played some of the hobbyist board games before with my old D&D group and had been to GenCon a few times (though primarily for RPGs), but I wasn't really into them. I did buy a copy of Dungeon Lords because my friend bitched when I punched out one of the monster tiles and tore a corner, then he proceeded to tear the corners of one of mine and we were even.

Then Rab Florence started writing a column on Rock Paper Shotgun about board games. Quinns also stood in for him for a while as well, and between the two of them they peaked my interest in the hobby and inspired me to do something about my situation. I came to discover a group of coworkers (and former coworkers) who were all into board games. So I decided to take matters into my own hands and started organizing my own board game night at my house once or twice a week. I started this about a year ago and it's still going, even if I can't get them to play Cosmic Encounter. You could argue that board games saved my sanity. You can also thank/curse Rab for pointing me to F:AT, as he mentions you guys with some frequency.

My motto is that I'll play anything twice. Thankfully that means I never have to play Age of Steam again. I strongly prefer AT games, though I'll play the odd Euro when cornered. I'm a card carrying member of the Cult of the New, but I'm hoping to escape this once I've played more games and get better at picking winners and avoiding losers. Of course, I also fantasize about my kid being old enough so we can play all these games...

Not sure how much I'll contribute here. My time is limited, and as I said earlier, once I feel like playing computer games again this site will probably take a back seat. The only web internet access I have at work is my phone, so you won't see me posting much until after I put my kid to bed. But I enjoy the alternative viewpoints here.

And thank goodness I finally found the F:AT glossary, because, as a recovering WoW addict, TOS means "Terms of Service". Now the mystery is solved.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jur, Rliyen, Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, Hatchling, mikecl

More
10 Feb 2012 06:07 #115827 by SemiColon
Hey guys, moderate time lurker, first time poster calling in. Name's Colin, I live at the edge of the Greater Toronto Area, and apparently I enjoy Ameritrash games.

I found this site the same way I imagine most did - through BGG after noticing many people with F:AT badges posting in the forums of games I was interested in. Okay maybe most didn't find out about it because of the badges but you know.

Anyway, wanted to thank you guys for the site and the info/reviews. I've definitely found out about a few games through here that I probably wouldn't have otherwise (Ascending Empires most recently), and I have also enjoy reading people's experiences with different video games (as I also have a great deal of love for them).

*retreats back into corner*
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jur, Rliyen, Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, Sagrilarus, lj1983, mikecl, Fallen

More
10 Feb 2012 14:02 #115858 by Black Barney
Hey your handle half-reminds me of p00p. Glad to see a fellow Canadian on here (if you're a Leafs fan, hook up with JonJacob, he's also queer (can you say that still?).

Jump in on the video game talk anytime we're talking about it and make sure you don't listen to Barnes too much. His tastes are completely antiquated
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fallen

More
15 Feb 2012 00:01 #116515 by sornars
Alright I generally hate posting in these kinds of topics partly because I'm a rather infrequent poster and partly because I'd rather let my posts do the talking for me but you guys seem cool and it never hurts to be polite so here it goes.

I'm a 22 year old living in Ottawa so rejoice as an another Canadian joins the FortressAmeritrash. I'll never say I'm "from Ottawa" because that would be admitting defeat and I'm not quite ready to call this hole home (it's been 5 years). For those unaware Ottawa is kind of like Montreal, minus the culture and pretty Quebec girls. And counterintuitive as it may seem, it's even more french than Montreal. And everything closes after dark (aka. 5 PM in the winter). Yeah, in spite of all this I soldier on up here.

I'm a relative newcomer to board gaming scene, having only started in the past year or so. I have my sister's boyfriend to blame as he convinced me to purchase a massive Tyranid army on a whim year and a bit ago. Before I had painted more than 12 Hormagaunts I had already jumped into Warmachine. From there I decided I wanted something to play immediately while I worked on my models (because I refuse to field unpainted stuff) so I started to pick up some hobby boardgames to fill the void. Fast forward a bit and I'd say board games have taken over my miniatures hobby. I still love the painting as I find it extremely rewarding and relaxing, I just use it for down time now. Playing a couple of games of Warmachine made me realize that I much prefer the control boardgames give me when selecting who I play with. Way too many people give my interests a bad name.

Well that's how I got into the hobby, as for how I ended up here? I'm not super inclined towards either end of the Euro-Ameritrash spectrum as I'll play and enjoy pretty much anything. I found Drake's Flames via google and then somehow I came upon a link from there to here. I really enjoy that this site carries a rather high-level of discussion on boardgames interspersed with a healthy mix of low-brow humour. TOS seems a little more like a publisher's marketing tool but is still a great resource for when I'm looking up info on a specific game.

As for video games. Wii, DS, 3DS, PS3 - I'll play'em all. I love RPGs and action/adventure games but turn based strategy games are probably my favourites. Too bad those don't really get made too often these days. I can't play FPS's because they give me motion sickness and I can't play 2D fighters because I suck at them. That pretty much shuts down most online gaming experiences. Well that's me, this will probably be the most I'll post ever, kind of narcissistic really :P. Hope to see you around!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jeb, Gary Sax, mikecl

More
15 Feb 2012 00:40 #116523 by Black Barney
Ottawa is more NOTHING like Montreal! Halifax is kind of like Montreal. Boston is kind of like Montreal. Edinburgh is VERY like Montreal. Ottawa.... is kind of like... a very textbook Canadian city. Cold, polite, bilingual, VERY dull. It's funny how many friends I have that have lived in Ottawa in the last 5 years. I used to go there a lot when I played cards competitively and my sister lives there as do many friends.

Welcome to F:AT and we're glad you chose to post to this thread.

haha look at me pretending to be some kind of site ambassador.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
15 Feb 2012 00:50 #116524 by DeletedUser

Black Barney wrote: haha look at me pretending to be some kind of site ambassador.

Just make sure to give them a couple of months before you ask to touch them this time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Black Barney, Ancient_of_MuMu

More
15 Feb 2012 17:03 #116576 by Fallen

Death and Taxis wrote:

Black Barney wrote: haha look at me pretending to be some kind of site ambassador.

Just make sure to give them a couple of months before you ask to touch them this time.

HaHa.

Welcome to the site! There has been some seriously good reading on this here making it very hard for me to resist dropping in at least once a day.

That being said, I think that everyone who has been pissing with their "handles" & "Avatars" need to sign in here as I'm totally lost as to who was who and who is who now. Those after that line I may change my avatar to the Clash of the Titans owl.

More
31 Mar 2012 16:08 #121189 by Helljin
Hi there,

I've been lurking a bit here for awhile and finally registered.

I'm currently playing Memoir 44 on the table and Command and Conquer Tiberium Wars on the Xbox.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dogmatix

More
31 Mar 2012 16:11 #121190 by QPCloudy

Helljin wrote: Hi there,

I'm currently playing Memoir 44 on the table and Command and Conquer Tiberium Wars on the Xbox.

Welcome! I enjoyed the C&C TW demo, but the only video rts I have played full yon 360 was Halo Wars, which I surprisingly LOVED!

More
31 Mar 2012 16:22 #121192 by Helljin

QPCloudy wrote:

Helljin wrote: Hi there,

Welcome! I enjoyed the C&C TW demo, but the only video rts I have played full yon 360 was Halo Wars, which I surprisingly LOVED!

Halo Wars is my most played game of the Halo franchise. I don't think it's the best rts out there, but it's great for the Xbox and it has the Halo storyline going for it.

More
22 Apr 2012 18:02 #123532 by Erik Twice
So I'm like,bored and stuff so I registered here :)

I have been a long time lurker of the forums, mainly because it seems a place where you can see people actually discuss the games instead of the boxes or a barely grasped understanding of the rules. It truly seems people have a healthy rotation of games instead of a new one each week and while I'm sure most have unplayed collections here, I'm willing to overlook it ;-)

I'm not so much of a player as someone who likes to talk about games but I will play almost anything that is fun. While I really like economical and train games and you may hate me for not thinking Arkham Horror is too much of a good game I will play anything and I really like a lot of ameritrashy titles like Cosmic Encounter and the eyt to be pimped Car Wars.

I also have a gaming blog and like the Fortress' podcast.

Nice to meet you everyone :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Notahandle, Rliyen, jeb, Dr. Mabuse, Sagrilarus, DeletedUser, repoman, QPCloudy, Fallen

More
15 May 2012 02:40 #125606 by Dogmatix

Erik Twice wrote:
I also have a gaming blog and like the Fortress' podcast.

Nice to meet you everyone :)

You have a blog going here or elsewhere? Linkify us please :)

Oh, and, hi there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen

More
22 May 2012 01:30 - 22 May 2012 01:34 #126360 by PowerTheGame
Hope this works... I debuted a game at GAMA in March and off to ORIGINS next week. Flaster Siskin said I should sign up here. Said a good group of guys run and are on this site.

Hello.

Hope you guys like wargames... and of those a deck-building tactical one, with Modern-Warfare themes and you use the CARDS as pieces.

-PK Torretto
P.O.W.E.R. the Military Tactical Card Game

PS - Anyone want to review it? I'll send you stuff. Check out the Demo page (gulp) on the site for more.
Last edit: 22 May 2012 01:34 by PowerTheGame. Reason: reviewed??
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.446 seconds