October 09, 2023
2421 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2630 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Welcome to one of the oldest board game communities on the Internet. That may sound like hyperbole but it really is true.

We are really happy to have you here. Unfortunately, being online we can't bond with you over a game so you'd know right away how happy we are to meet you. For now, you'll just have to take our word for it.

This site has always thrived on lively discussion and spirited but civil debate. We hope that newcomers here will find a welcoming atmosphere where game enthusiasts of all levels of experience and commitment will have something to add to the conversation. You never need to prove your “gamer cred” here. Whether you have been playing board games for a few months or a few decades; whether you have a huge collection or a small one; whether you have been a member here for years or just joined today – your opinion is valued here.

We know that it can be intimidating to jump into a new community and want to assure you that this is NOT the kind of forum where people will tell you that you posted something in the wrong place, or that you should have found an existing thread on the topic, or that you shouldn’t have resurrected an old thread.

So if you find a thread or an article discussion that interests you, whether it is old or new, feel free to jump in. Want to discuss a specific game or board gaming related topic just start a new topic. If you don’t know which forum to put it in, just make your best guess (we really don’t care all that much. It’s easy enough for a moderator to move it or merge it, if necessary).

A good place to get started is by introducing yourself in the “New Members Introduce Yourself” thread (below) or by telling us what you have been playing in the “What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?" thread ( therewillbe.games/forum/35-mos-eisley-ca...ave-you-been-playing ).

Have fun, and we look forward to hearing from you.

New Members Introduce Yourself

More
20 Sep 2012 23:40 #134762 by phandec
I suppose I should probably introduce myself, since I'm actually posting on here more than once a year now. I've actually been around the site since just after it converted from the blog, but I'm lazy so I am merely a lurker mostly.

I actually feel like I know a lot of the regulars on here pretty well even though no one has ever heard from me. It's . . . actually kind of creepy when I think of it that way.

Anyway, Hi, my name is Phil. I'm from Western PA and I work in a hobby store that sells games. I actually do all the ordering for the games, which tends to give me an excuse to spend work time on websites such as Fortress AT. I have a completely useless degree in Comparative Literature which has prepared me for a life of working in a hobby store.

I'm definitely an ATer at heart, as Euros tend to put me to sleep, though I tend to go in phases of what kind of games I obsess about, from board games, to card games, to video games and back again. My current obsession is in the card game front, what with the recent release of Netrunner.

I'll stop now because I can tend to ramble. A lot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Dr. Mabuse, Dair, SaMoKo, engineer Al

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2012 02:35 #134772 by The King in Yellow

EvilPie wrote: I suppose I should probably introduce myself, since I'm actually posting on here more than once a year now. I've actually been around the site since just after it converted from the blog, but I'm lazy so I am merely a lurker mostly.

I actually feel like I know a lot of the regulars on here pretty well even though no one has ever heard from me. It's . . . actually kind of creepy when I think of it that way.

Anyway, Hi, my name is Phil. I'm from Western PA and I work in a hobby store that sells games. I actually do all the ordering for the games, which tends to give me an excuse to spend work time on websites such as Fortress AT. I have a completely useless degree in Comparative Literature which has prepared me for a life of working in a hobby store.

I'm definitely an ATer at heart, as Euros tend to put me to sleep, though I tend to go in phases of what kind of games I obsess about, from board games, to card games, to video games and back again. My current obsession is in the card game front, what with the recent release of Netrunner.

I'll stop now because I can tend to ramble. A lot.

You a Pittsburgher? I used to go to a great gaming store in Squirrel Hill way back when.

More
24 Sep 2012 20:07 #134947 by Swamifred

Michael Barnes wrote: Sorry Matt, you've come to the wrong place. We hate fun here. Plus, this is actually a comic book site.

But please, pull up a chair for tomorrow's Friday Freakout. You're welcome to participate and I do hope you'll stick around.

Oh, I'm also going to need to get you to Paypal me $20 for chair rental.

Comic books!? *pushes glasses up nose* I thought you fine, cultured folks were above that kind of senseless time wasting plebeian activity. I'm here for thought-provoking board games.

Also, your 20bux is in the mail.

More
24 Sep 2012 21:44 #134954 by Michael Barnes
Great, we're going to send an auditor to your house to make sure that you have the RIGHT thought provoking board games. You will be invoiced for all auditing fees, made payable to Michael Barnes.

Also, we only read black and white comic books about nerdy men with black frame glasses that have girl trouble. We all see hidden greatness and intellectual depth in Archie. Superheroes are for infants and fascists as well as infant fascists.

More
25 Sep 2012 15:34 #134984 by jay718

Michael Barnes wrote: Also, we only read black and white comic books about nerdy men with black frame glasses that have girl trouble. We all see hidden greatness and intellectual depth in Archie. Superheroes are for infants and fascists as well as infant fascists.

There was an Italian bakery a few blocks from my bar that closed down a few years back and was turned into a 'comic book shop.' The existing sign said 'Handmade Italian Breads' and the new owners just added the words 'and comic booklets' to it. Cute, right? They sell indy comics and graphic novels exclusively and will flip their shit if you come in and ask for the new issue of Fantastic Four or something like that. I make sure to stop in and ask after Green Lantern or Shazam every few months for a giggle.

Also, welcome Swamifred!

More
25 Sep 2012 22:41 #135014 by SuperflyPete
Welcome Swamifred and thank you for finally introducing yourself EvilPie. I'll look you up next time I'm heading to the Pitt Wasteland for my annual pilgrimage to the last place in the area (Monroeville) that sells the best foodstuff known to man, that which makes grown men weep and young men giggle with delight.

Yes, TastyKakes.

Also, this has become the most underrated thread ever. FYI, Swamifred showing up when Rurhfarfegnugen is being Kickstarted....NOT COINCIDENCE.

More
28 Sep 2012 19:06 #135179 by Swamifred
Superfly, I checked out that game you mentioned was being Kickstarted when I showed up (Rauchflinterholen), and it looks just AMAZING! I mean, you get to sell coal, and organize warehouses, and... stuff. I bet there's some kind of bonus spreadsheet mechanic that is only available to the folks who order the Super Supreme (or Kaiser) version.

Let me just say: IT IS TOTALY A COINCIDENCE. I WOULD NEVER MAKE A GAME LIKE THAT.

Still, since we're on the subject of games and Kickstarters and such, I happen to be working on a game that might be a good match to this forum's refined sensibilities. Being new, I'm not sure which direction I should go, if I were to share some print 'n' play files for people to test out my game. Is there a specific subforum that would be the most appropriate for playtesting and finding folks open to something completely new?

Just to pique your curiosity, my game is called "Child Beauty Pageant Tycoon", and it's based on the horrible world of 'Toddlers & Tiaras'. Anyone brave enough?

More
28 Sep 2012 20:40 #135183 by Hex Sinister
Dibs on Honey Poo Poo. If you collect the resource cubes for catchup and butter you can make sketti for 3vp, right?

Yes, I had the misfortune of catching that show the other night. I am ashamed.

More
15 Oct 2012 21:15 #136083 by Jimzik
Ola, Hola, whatever the f*ck it is, hello. Just jumped over from the BGG on the advice of new friend "Superfly Pete" so blame him for my ass being here. I'm a retired Cleveland Firefighter with a big-assed man cave with lots of games in it. Anyone near Avon Lake, Ohio is welcome to come over and play miniatures, board games, Magic or try and beat me in a game of Foosball (viel gluck).

If I can get by this stinking captcha crap you might be able to read this. New - so I don't know if e-mail pops up so mine is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Oh, yeah, did I mention that beer is always on hand in my basement?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen, QPCloudy

More
15 Oct 2012 21:19 #136084 by SuperflyPete
Sorry, lads, he followed me home when I was high on painkillers and booze.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Ancient_of_MuMu, QPCloudy, Jimzik

More
15 Oct 2012 22:22 #136093 by repoman
Damn Jim,

Never EVER admit that you know Superfly...once word gets around that's a hard rep to break. As the saying goes..."There is no coming back from creepy."

That being said. Hello and Welcome!

More
16 Oct 2012 02:04 #136099 by QPCloudy

Jimzik wrote: Ola, Hola, whatever the f*ck it is, hello. Just jumped over from the BGG on the advice of new friend "Superfly Pete" so blame him for my ass being here. I'm a retired Cleveland Firefighter with a big-assed man cave with lots of games in it. Anyone near Avon Lake, Ohio is welcome to come over and play miniatures, board games, Magic or try and beat me in a game of Foosball (viel gluck).

If I can get by this stinking captcha crap you might be able to read this. New - so I don't know if e-mail pops up so mine is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Oh, yeah, did I mention that beer is always on hand in my basement?

Well shit the fucking bed, Jim. I'm in Akron. Gotta see how far that is from Avon Lake. We play games, and Magic, pretty regularly. In fact, I've got a couple guys heading over for some Eclipse or Magic this Wednesday.

More
10 Dec 2012 13:15 #139169 by Rafael Silva
Hey guys, my name is Rafael and I’m a 25 yo Brazillian.

Before anything else, I apologize in advance for my many english errors to come.

I’ve been a lurker for a long time and finally took the plunge to register, I’ll have more free time now, so why not try to get an online Dip game going?

I’ve been RPing since I was a little kid and around that time played a lot of board games, mostly War (Brazillian equivalente of Risk), Stratego and Supremacy (although it inevitably ended in nuclear destruction). About two years ago I found out about modern games through Settlers, and played some eurogames, but always felt that the ability to nuke the other guy out of the face of the Earth was missing.

My first AT (since Supremacy) was Arkham Horror (mostly to convince people that had already played CoC to give it a try), and since that box got here, I didn’t look back, so, here I am!
My favorite games are (in no particular order): Diplomacy (I have a physical copy but have only played online), Die Macher, Cosmic Encounter, El Grande, Intrigue, Descent 2.0...

It’s kinda hard being a Brazillian bger, only now some games are starting to pop (settlers and carcassonne were launched here about a year ago), although in the late 80’s and early 90’s we had some pretty decent games. Shipping and exchange rates are high, I’m the sole buyer in our group and have about forty games, so in-depth analysis and recommendations are a necessity before a purchase (I’ve been very fortunate in dumping some turds, like 7 Wonders, in the past, but you never know when your luck will run out).

Well, that’s it, I hope to get some online gaming going and talk about one or two things in the forums, any question about Brazil, feel free to ask.
Tchau!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen, Dr. Mabuse, Hatchling, DeletedUser, san il defanso, OldHippy, SuperflyPete, Dair

More
10 Dec 2012 13:24 #139172 by repoman
Hey Rafael! Welcome aboard. Always nice to increase our global domination.

More
10 Dec 2012 14:49 #139185 by Black Barney
Now that we have Brazil, we have an easy way into Western Africa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, Dr. Mabuse, DeletedUser, OldHippy, wadenels, Rafael Silva

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.321 seconds