October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2652 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Welcome to one of the oldest board game communities on the Internet. That may sound like hyperbole but it really is true.

We are really happy to have you here. Unfortunately, being online we can't bond with you over a game so you'd know right away how happy we are to meet you. For now, you'll just have to take our word for it.

This site has always thrived on lively discussion and spirited but civil debate. We hope that newcomers here will find a welcoming atmosphere where game enthusiasts of all levels of experience and commitment will have something to add to the conversation. You never need to prove your “gamer cred” here. Whether you have been playing board games for a few months or a few decades; whether you have a huge collection or a small one; whether you have been a member here for years or just joined today – your opinion is valued here.

We know that it can be intimidating to jump into a new community and want to assure you that this is NOT the kind of forum where people will tell you that you posted something in the wrong place, or that you should have found an existing thread on the topic, or that you shouldn’t have resurrected an old thread.

So if you find a thread or an article discussion that interests you, whether it is old or new, feel free to jump in. Want to discuss a specific game or board gaming related topic just start a new topic. If you don’t know which forum to put it in, just make your best guess (we really don’t care all that much. It’s easy enough for a moderator to move it or merge it, if necessary).

A good place to get started is by introducing yourself in the “New Members Introduce Yourself” thread (below) or by telling us what you have been playing in the “What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?" thread ( therewillbe.games/forum/35-mos-eisley-ca...ave-you-been-playing ).

Have fun, and we look forward to hearing from you.

New Members Introduce Yourself

More
17 Jan 2013 12:47 #141702 by Black Barney
My sister is a professor there. You're not allowed to hit on her.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2013 13:49 #141704 by san il defanso
Welcome, Scrumpy! I agree with Hatchling: your group has impeccable taste.

More
17 Jan 2013 16:29 #141719 by mikecl
Hi Scrumpy! Vancouver here. I have all the games you listed except Space Alert. Good choices. And while I'm here in response to Hatchling's last question...duh...fuck yeah.

More
17 Jan 2013 16:51 #141722 by Ken B.

Black Barney wrote: My sister is a professor there. You're not allowed to hit on her.

It's ok. She has a beard just like Barney's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
17 Jan 2013 20:22 #141756 by Juniper
Do we officially have more Canadians than Americans on this site now? Can we change the name?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Hatchling, OldHippy

More
17 Jan 2013 20:32 #141758 by Hatchling
What we need is a Canadian clone of Steve Avery to organize a Trashfest somewhere north of the 49th.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
17 Jan 2013 20:34 #141759 by ChristopherMD
I've been a lurker here for the past two years and just recently started posting. I like to play stuff like Arkham Horror, RoboRally, and fucking Reef Encounter. I like post-apoc and steampunk but not a lot of good games in either genre. Burned out on fantasy themes a long time ago but scifi with galactic empires and shit is still okay. Been reading Victorian Era adventure novels lately.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken B., Dr. Mabuse, OldHippy

More
17 Jan 2013 20:49 #141761 by san il defanso

Hatchling wrote: What we need is a Canadian clone of Steve Avery to organize a Trashfest somewhere north of the 49th.

Okay, new F:AT plan. Every region gets a clone of Steve Avery, strictly engineered to organize a Trashfest in the area on an annual basis.

The rest of the year they can go live in a Hooters or something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
18 Jan 2013 02:56 #141781 by Sagrilarus
"Ottawa U" is a punch line to a joke I used to tell when I lived in Philadelphia.

Why is it that people from Canada always say "I'm from Canada" like the place is three miles wide? Seriously folks, we Americans are stupid, but we could probably figure out where Ottawa is with Google in a pinch.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, wadenels

More
18 Jan 2013 15:20 #141814 by Black Barney

Sagrilarus wrote: Why is it that people from Canada always say "I'm from Canada" like the place is three miles wide? Seriously folks, we Americans are stupid, but we could probably figure out where Ottawa is with Google in a pinch.

S.

It's based on personal experience. Of the hundreds of times I've told people where I'm from (Montreal....or Quebec...or Canada), the best result (for the other person understanding) is to just say ''I'm from Canada.''

I only have this problem when talking to Americans. Telling an American I'm from Montreal or Quebec sometimes (disturbingly often) results in a blank stare and when it doesn't it results in them saying, ''Oh, you're from Canada?''

So I just say I'm from Canada and it speeds up the conversation. Usually the next part is almost always, ''cold up there?''

This only applies when I'm visiting non-border States (like my recent Tennessee visit). In NY, I don't have this problem. Neither in Maine.

More
18 Jan 2013 15:36 #141818 by Juniper

Sagrilarus wrote: Why is it that people from Canada always say "I'm from Canada" like the place is three miles wide? Seriously folks, we Americans are stupid, but we could probably figure out where Ottawa is with Google in a pinch.

People in the US have Google too? I thought it was like homo milk bags.

More
18 Jan 2013 16:53 #141830 by jeb

Black Barney wrote: This only applies when I'm visiting non-border States (like my recent Tennessee visit). In NY, I don't have this problem. Neither in Maine.

Well, Maine is like half in Canada, so that just makes sense.

I first saw those UHT milk bags in Switzerland. Just..on a shelf. Like bananas or something. I was wondering how people used them and someone showed me the little pitcher thingy. IT MAKES TREMENDOUS SENSE.

In Israel, they have plastic toilets (much less expansive to fix) and the tank is usually a good six feet off the ground to really blast that water down. They also have two flush handles, one for just a little water and one for the whole shebang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
18 Jan 2013 17:05 #141834 by Black Barney
I've known the milk bag thing all my life (still use them). They're fun :)

More
18 Jan 2013 17:22 #141838 by Juniper

jeb wrote: I first saw those UHT milk bags in Switzerland. Just..on a shelf. Like bananas or something. I was wondering how people used them and someone showed me the little pitcher thingy. IT MAKES TREMENDOUS SENSE.

In Canada, non-UHT milk (the kind that requires refrigeration) comes in bags. UHT milk is mostly (though not exclusively) sold for use as a coffee whitener. Homo or homogenized milk is what Americans call "whole milk." Homo Milk Bags should be the name of a band.

Just as "homo" potentially means something different in Canada than it does in the USA, "I'm from Canada" means something different, too. To a Canadian, it means "I don't feel like explaining geography right now." Lots of people do that, no matter where they're from. I have a friend from Malawi who, when asked, often just says he's from South Africa. It's easier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, scrumpyjack

More
18 Jan 2013 18:53 - 18 Jan 2013 18:57 #141853 by Sagrilarus
So when I was young I spent a month hiking in southern England and Wales and I kept having people ask me what part of Canada I was from. I'd tell them I was from Washington DC which is correct on a global scale if not on a local one, but it's not like I have a northern accent so I was kind of curious why I kept getting the question. I figured maybe more Canadians visited the remote towns than Americans did (I was pretty deep in the woods most of the time), or maybe my complete lack of sports paraphernalia and Nike sneakers which are essentially the American travel uniform. I didn't really know and I never took the time to pursue it.

One day I'm sitting having dinner in a pub in Chepstow and this lovely group of elderly ladies shows up with their darts in little cases. It was dart night, and I was sitting about eight feet to one side of the dart board, so a guy at the bar leaned over and said, "you might to move your seat." I nodded and let it go. They were old but they weren't THAT old. Eight feet is a fair distance. They seemed pretty sharp too, and as they warmed up I could see that they were putting the darts into a pretty controlled patch of the board. So I figured I was good.

Until the drinking started. These ladies had a table set up with "drinks in progress" and "drinks in reserve" and neither set had very long to wait. As they drank their shooting became progressively worse and I politely stood up to take another seat. But before I escaped they got me to gabbing and laughing and shooting the shit with them. Not the hottest chicks I had met on the trip, but they sure were the funnest, and I was getting awfully light-headed from the drinks they threw my way.

Finally, one of them asked the question -- "what part of Canada are you from?" This time I decided I wanted to know. Not wanting to tip my hand I asked back, "how do guys all know I'm from Canada instead of thinking I'm from the United States?" The ladies got quiet for a moment, then the woman that had asked first responded, "well, you have a North American accent . . . . . and you're not an asshole!" and all her drunk friends tittered away at her shameless response. Two seconds later the whole frikkin' pub busted up from her answer lifting drinks and cheering at her keen insight. When the noise died down I answered as always, "I'm from Washington DC" and got an even bigger howl than she had. I didn't have to pay for a drink for the next six hours.

Welshmen know how to drink.

S.
Last edit: 18 Jan 2013 18:57 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, wadenels, scrumpyjack

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.281 seconds