October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Welcome to one of the oldest board game communities on the Internet. That may sound like hyperbole but it really is true.

We are really happy to have you here. Unfortunately, being online we can't bond with you over a game so you'd know right away how happy we are to meet you. For now, you'll just have to take our word for it.

This site has always thrived on lively discussion and spirited but civil debate. We hope that newcomers here will find a welcoming atmosphere where game enthusiasts of all levels of experience and commitment will have something to add to the conversation. You never need to prove your “gamer cred” here. Whether you have been playing board games for a few months or a few decades; whether you have a huge collection or a small one; whether you have been a member here for years or just joined today – your opinion is valued here.

We know that it can be intimidating to jump into a new community and want to assure you that this is NOT the kind of forum where people will tell you that you posted something in the wrong place, or that you should have found an existing thread on the topic, or that you shouldn’t have resurrected an old thread.

So if you find a thread or an article discussion that interests you, whether it is old or new, feel free to jump in. Want to discuss a specific game or board gaming related topic just start a new topic. If you don’t know which forum to put it in, just make your best guess (we really don’t care all that much. It’s easy enough for a moderator to move it or merge it, if necessary).

A good place to get started is by introducing yourself in the “New Members Introduce Yourself” thread (below) or by telling us what you have been playing in the “What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?" thread ( therewillbe.games/forum/35-mos-eisley-ca...ave-you-been-playing ).

Have fun, and we look forward to hearing from you.

New Members Introduce Yourself

More
01 Apr 2013 05:20 #149159 by sdebaun
Hi! I'm Steve DeBaun, the designer for Ars Victor , the two-player boardgame of tactical combat.

We're launching our Kickstarter project in less than a month! I joined so that I could share news about its upcoming release.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2013 06:10 #149163 by Bull Nakano
Hey Steve, FAT offers advertising packages as outlined here:
fortressat.com/overview

Welcome aboard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juniper, scissors, Rliyen, metalface13, dysjunct, Black Barney, san il defanso, QPCloudy

More
02 Apr 2013 17:33 #149324 by The Prodigal Player
Hi Everyone,

I sort of made an unofficial introduction on the "what board games are you playing lately" thread (Condotierre, mostly), but I figured I would say hello here as well.

I've been lurking here for a while and occasionally posting here and on No High Scores, but I figured I should be a little less shadowy.

I'm a pretty avid board gamer, less into video games of late (although destroying people with friends in Halo 4 on occasion is still good fun). I am also a pretty avid painter of wargame miniatures, but please don't hold that against me!

My tastes interests in boardgames are pretty broad, but definitely err more on the side of themes that don't involve farming or trains or harbors.

Staring at my shelf, I see sitting in front of me:

Eclipse
Wiz War
Nexus Ops
Legends of Andor
Space Hulk
Eminent Domain
Descent 2nd ed
Battles of Westeros
Condotierre
Citadels
Death Angel
Gosu
Elder Sign
Dominion
Cards Against Humanity.

I'm a fan of pretty much all of these however with the exception of Elder Sign, which doesn't really do it for me, mainly because it seems like there's not much to do with Elder Gods in the game beyond the cool artwork.

So, anyways, hello.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Dr. Mabuse, repoman

More
02 Apr 2013 18:42 - 02 Apr 2013 18:42 #149336 by Sagrilarus

The Prodigal Player wrote:

Eclipse
Wiz War
Nexus Ops
Legends of Andor
Space Hulk
Eminent Domain
Descent 2nd ed
Battles of Westeros
Condotierre
Citadels
Death Angel
Gosu
Elder Sign
Dominion
Cards Against Humanity.

All of these are fine, but I'm wondering why they're on your shelf at work instead of at home?

Unless you're not on FortressAt from your work . . . curious concept.

S.
Last edit: 02 Apr 2013 18:42 by Sagrilarus.

More
02 Apr 2013 19:23 #149346 by The Prodigal Player

Sagrilarus wrote:

The Prodigal Player wrote:
All of these are fine, but I'm wondering why they're on your shelf at work instead of at home?

Unless you're not on FortressAt from your work . . . curious concept.

S.

I know it's weird, right?

More
02 Apr 2013 19:40 #149353 by SuperflyPete
He's a prodigal player...he's obviously a gigolo, pimpin' himself at home, which means he's both at work and at home.

I mean, isn't the definition of the prodigal player a player that comes again? ')

More
02 Apr 2013 19:42 #149354 by SuperflyPete

sdebaun wrote: Hi! I'm Steve DeBaun, the designer for Ars Victor , the two-player boardgame of tactical combat.

We're launching our Kickstarter project in less than a month! I joined so that I could share news about its upcoming release.

For anyone who cares: This game looks and sounds really awesome, if you're a wargamer and don't mind chits.

More
02 Apr 2013 20:37 #149377 by MattFantastic

The Prodigal Player wrote: Hi Everyone,

I sort of made an unofficial introduction on the "what board games are you playing lately" thread (Condotierre, mostly), but I figured I would say hello here as well.

I've been lurking here for a while and occasionally posting here and on No High Scores, but I figured I should be a little less shadowy.

I'm a pretty avid board gamer, less into video games of late (although destroying people with friends in Halo 4 on occasion is still good fun). I am also a pretty avid painter of wargame miniatures, but please don't hold that against me!

My tastes interests in boardgames are pretty broad, but definitely err more on the side of themes that don't involve farming or trains or harbors.

Eclipse
Wiz War
Nexus Ops
Legends of Andor
Space Hulk
Eminent Domain
Descent 2nd ed
Battles of Westeros
Condotierre
Citadels
Death Angel
Gosu
Elder Sign
Dominion
Cards Against Humanity.

I'm a fan of pretty much all of these however with the exception of Elder Sign, which doesn't really do it for me, mainly because it seems like there's not much to do with Elder Gods in the game beyond the cool artwork.

So, anyways, hello.

Make with a grown up name ASAP or you're getting one bestowed upon ye. Ain't no kinda introduction without a name!

More
02 Apr 2013 20:53 #149383 by The Prodigal Player

MattLoter wrote:

The Prodigal Player wrote: Hi Everyone,

I

Make with a grown up name ASAP or you're getting one bestowed upon ye. Ain't no kinda introduction without a name!

Ah, true!

Ryan

More
02 Apr 2013 21:02 #149384 by Black Barney
Welcome to F:AT, Prodigal Player. Usually we don't point this out to new members but for you, it would seem necessary to mention:

It is F:AT policy that you do NOT directly damage other players or their creatures here.

Thank you.

More
02 Apr 2013 21:05 #149385 by metalface13

Black Barney wrote: Welcome to F:AT, Prodigal Player. Usually we don't point this out to new members but for you, it would seem necessary to mention:

It is F:AT policy that you do NOT directly damage other players or their creatures here.

Thank you.

Where do we get creatures? I've always wanted a manticore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
02 Apr 2013 21:46 #149387 by VaGrog
Hi, I'm Steve... and I'm a wargamer.
I started with the usual suspects as a child, Risk, Monopoly, and Clue, until one day, back in the early 70's, I found PanzerBlitz. I played my way through the old Avalon Hill classics and discovered SPI, GDW and John Hill's old Conflict Games line through my days at university. Upon returning home to Miami, well the suburbs of Miami, I found a few good friends/opponents to while away the nights with Squad Leader, Ironclads and others. Time passed and the old gang broke up due to families, jobs, computer games, D&D, even cocaine in one case (not me thankfully), and the gaming stopped. As for me... Well, the retail trade is not kind to those who operate multiple shops and wish to have a life.
Fast forward to the early 2000's, and I was free again! I sold out of my business, retired and started to return to school to study History, as I wanted to the first time. I discovered a games group through meetup.com and began playing newer games, mostly Euros, but finding a few meaty bits of wargames mixed in. This included the newer card driven, point to point, and block games. By '09 I had moved up to Charlottesville, Va. and really dove back in the Grognard pool.
My "sweet spot" at this time leans towards WWII operational level, mid-complexity hex and counter games (Normandy '44, Liberty Roads, etc.). although that may change over time. I still play Euros, "AT", and others, but I'm an old Grog (my license plate reads GROGNRD) at heart.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Juniper, Rliyen, jeb, Dr. Mabuse, Sagrilarus, mikecl

More
02 Apr 2013 22:04 #149393 by MattFantastic

VaGrog wrote: D&D, even cocaine in one case

Sounds like a Thursday!

More
02 Apr 2013 22:39 #149403 by VaGrog
It was Miami in the '80s.
I witnessed a shootout between "cowboys" and the DEA while I was waiting at a BK drive-through. I didn't see much as I was trying to guess where in the middle of the floorboards of my car would put the engine block, a giant hunk of Detroit Iron at the time, between the flying bullets and my body!

More
02 Apr 2013 23:29 #149410 by Dogmatix

VaGrog wrote: My "sweet spot" at this time leans towards WWII operational level, mid-complexity hex and counter games (Normandy '44, Liberty Roads, etc.). although that may change over time. I still play Euros, "AT", and others, but I'm an old Grog (my license plate reads GROGNRD) at heart.

C'ville? Damnit. I've been dying to play Liberty Roads against an actual human but that's just a hair too far from me in Ashburn.

Welcome to the Fort.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds