October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Welcome to one of the oldest board game communities on the Internet. That may sound like hyperbole but it really is true.

We are really happy to have you here. Unfortunately, being online we can't bond with you over a game so you'd know right away how happy we are to meet you. For now, you'll just have to take our word for it.

This site has always thrived on lively discussion and spirited but civil debate. We hope that newcomers here will find a welcoming atmosphere where game enthusiasts of all levels of experience and commitment will have something to add to the conversation. You never need to prove your “gamer cred” here. Whether you have been playing board games for a few months or a few decades; whether you have a huge collection or a small one; whether you have been a member here for years or just joined today – your opinion is valued here.

We know that it can be intimidating to jump into a new community and want to assure you that this is NOT the kind of forum where people will tell you that you posted something in the wrong place, or that you should have found an existing thread on the topic, or that you shouldn’t have resurrected an old thread.

So if you find a thread or an article discussion that interests you, whether it is old or new, feel free to jump in. Want to discuss a specific game or board gaming related topic just start a new topic. If you don’t know which forum to put it in, just make your best guess (we really don’t care all that much. It’s easy enough for a moderator to move it or merge it, if necessary).

A good place to get started is by introducing yourself in the “New Members Introduce Yourself” thread (below) or by telling us what you have been playing in the “What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?" thread ( therewillbe.games/forum/35-mos-eisley-ca...ave-you-been-playing ).

Have fun, and we look forward to hearing from you.

New Members Introduce Yourself

More
16 Jul 2015 11:23 #206359 by hotseatgames
Welcome new people!
The following user(s) said Thank You: epaparellanto, Hadik, VALIS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2015 03:56 #218567 by Hadik
So I have been a reader in this site for a while, following the recommendations of F:AT members on new games and have had good luck doing so. Thank you all.

I've just started posting recently and want to introduce myself.

I've been a PC and boardgame wargamer for a while but I would say I have mostly kept to the shallow end of that pool. In the past two years my gaming has begun focusing more on thematic games. This is due to me playing games with my wife and two boys. Also - just more fun. Family favorites include One Night Werewolf, Love Letter, Mice and Mystics, and Heroscape, I have been soloing Eldritch Horror. Finding time is the biggest challenge.

I still wargame regularly with an opponent on VASSAL. We play CDGs, though in 2016 our goal is to get into Battles in the Age of Reason (BAR) because we have both read a lot about the Seven Years War. VASSAL is the greatest thing for me. I've logged more gaming time on VASSAL than in any other form of gaming.

Though... an XBOX One was under the Christmas tree this year and so far it's a big hit. Our Wii U will be getting dusty. Star Wars Battlefront is getting played a lot.

More
30 Dec 2015 08:57 - 30 Dec 2015 08:58 #218575 by ThirstyMan
Wilkommen, Bienvenue, Welcome
Glucklich zu sehen, je suis enchante, happy to see you
Bleibe, reste, stay

Dah dah dah dah, daaaaa ......(altogether now)
Last edit: 30 Dec 2015 08:58 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, SuperflyPete, epaparellanto, Hadik

More
30 Dec 2015 10:48 #218589 by SuperflyPete
Welcome!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hadik

More
26 Jan 2016 19:29 #220867 by Mantidman
Greetings,
I signed on awhile ago, but hadn't posted here. I have really enjoyed reading this site.
It has led me to purchase several games that I would never have picked up before and
I have laughed out loud on many occasions.
I am a life science professor in Hannibal, MO, but I currently live in IA.
Was married for 22 years and I have two sons.
I have always gamed with my family and have started to bring a few new friends into the
fold.
Thank you for providing this place.
Sincerely,
Todd Bowdish
Mantidman (here and at BGG)

More
26 Jan 2016 19:42 #220868 by repoman
Hi Todd and welcome aboard
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, epaparellanto, Mantidman

More
21 Jun 2016 21:03 #229195 by vijr
Replied by vijr on topic New Members Introduce Yourself
Long time reader and first-time poster. As I'm sure most of these posts go. Always enjoy the article reads and I appreciate the real perspective from many (of course as opposed to the fake).

~vijr
(also on bgg though account is semi-dead)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, mads b., Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, ChristopherMD, Frohike, epaparellanto

More
21 Jun 2016 21:27 #229196 by ChristopherMD
Welcome to the jungle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: epaparellanto, vijr

More
23 Jun 2016 03:00 #229253 by Gary Sax
Welcome!
The following user(s) said Thank You: epaparellanto

More
12 Sep 2016 16:28 #234039 by Nodens
Hello there,
another lurker with plans to maybe contribute to the quality content I come here for. I guess I am a sucker for well-formed opinions brought forth in strong language. Being German, I have played games for almost my entire life. The games I have put the most hours of my life into are probably Robo Rally and Call of Cthulhu, current favourites include Cyclades, Maria and A Distant Plain. Also I read a lot. Really a lot. Like, all the time.

(same name on TOS)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., jeb, Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, ChristopherMD, Columbob, boothwah, Frohike, stoic, Feelitmon, Hadik, Mantidman

More
14 Sep 2016 12:00 #234232 by barrowdown
I've been a long-time reader of the forums and with the recent interest in minis painting, I felt I might be able to actually contribute. I'm interested in all of the game content, but for me it is largely a theoretical interest as I do not have a ton of motivation to make it get played. I like the breadth of discussion and the smaller echo chamber in which to operate.

I get to game very rarely in the past couple of years, but I do have time to paint. Next week, I will start playing in my FLGS's 40k league, which will be my first 40k games in over 20 years and my first minis gaming in 12-13 years. What I have currently painted is spread over a variety of things and no where near a playable force, so the next week I will be focusing on getting something playable onto the table.

(I go by badweasel on TOS.)

More
14 Sep 2016 23:02 #234293 by SuperflyPete
Welcome! Looking forward to hearing from you fine folks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: epaparellanto

More
16 Sep 2016 00:16 #234367 by 40 oz
First time poster, long time reader of the great content on this site. Early gaming included standard stuff, but my all time favorites were Dark Tower, Dungeon and Mystery Mansion. I re-entered the hobby in 2005 with a purchase of Ticket to Ride Europe. Since then, the collection has grown and interests have changed. I gravitate more toward thematic with favorites being Cosmic Encounter, Space Hulk, Claustrophobia, Talisman and Arkham Horror. However, I still enjoy Euros on occasion such as Agricola. Married with two kids, so I do a lot of solo gaming and some gaming with the kids and wife. I recently started painting Silver Tower (which I bought based on Barnes’ review). I will try to post some pics in the other forum. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Columbob, boothwah, Egg Shen, epaparellanto, Mantidman

More
16 Oct 2016 02:07 #236245 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic New Members Introduce Yourself
Hi,

I've been following this site for a long time, but did not feel comfortable to post before. The reason is that I got into board-gaming fairly late - in my early thirties - but that was like 10 years ago, so I kind of start to feel entitled to have an opinion (beyond the "oh, these cards look so cool, the game is dripping with theme"). And then you're talking about TV-shows and movies and sci-fi, and I partially (but strongly) blame Mr. Barnes for pulling me into painting miniatures (he made me buy games before... many, many games over these years, but the last six months have been very expensive). Anyway, here I am.

A little about my favorite stuff, at least as of late:

Board game: Dune. To be honest, I've played way more Rex than Dune, and a big reason I'm getting an account here is to be able to tell the world why everybody should be playing Rex instead of Dune, and to endure the subsequent shellacking for such heresy. Second close are Cosmic and Spartacus, but usually as a means to lure people into an eventual game of Rex. Twilight Struggle for a 2-player (despite the fact that I completely and utterly suck at it).

Miniatures: Malifaux. I can’t say I recommend it and I’m very conflicted about whether I like it or not. I’m painting a bunch of new Warhammer stuff, and played some games of Battle for Vedros with my son, but Malifaux got on the adult table.

Film: That one is easy, Pulp Fiction. In general I wouldn’t say no to anything by Tarantino (except Django, which sometimes I feel like the only person to dislike) or Coen Brothers (except No Country for Old Men, same as before). And obviously the, you know, the film from which I’ve taken the picture for my account here. I think I’ve seen it like 30 times. Oh, and Alien, and the first Terminator. And Fury Road, which is probably the only movie of the last 5 years that I can pretty much guarantee I’ll be still watching 20 years from now.

Book: Dune, (just re-read it recently) Anything by Kurt Vonnegut and Philip K. Dick. Also love Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

Graphic Novel: Watchmen. So much that I haven’t read any other graphic novel or comic book after it, just couldn’t get into it.

Video Game: Dark Souls series. I’ve played a lot of computer and video games, but Dark Souls kind of did to video games what Watchmen did for graphic novels… ever since I played the first Souls, I find it very hard to get into anything else.

TV-show: Sopranos and Seinfield. Game of Thrones, for all its trashiness, just entertaining, pretty much the same as Walking Dead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jur, jeb, Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, ChristopherMD, Black Barney, boothwah, stoic, JEM

More
16 Oct 2016 08:01 #236246 by Black Barney
I like you. And I never like Vlads.
The following user(s) said Thank You: epaparellanto, Vlad

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.352 seconds