October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Welcome to one of the oldest board game communities on the Internet. That may sound like hyperbole but it really is true.

We are really happy to have you here. Unfortunately, being online we can't bond with you over a game so you'd know right away how happy we are to meet you. For now, you'll just have to take our word for it.

This site has always thrived on lively discussion and spirited but civil debate. We hope that newcomers here will find a welcoming atmosphere where game enthusiasts of all levels of experience and commitment will have something to add to the conversation. You never need to prove your “gamer cred” here. Whether you have been playing board games for a few months or a few decades; whether you have a huge collection or a small one; whether you have been a member here for years or just joined today – your opinion is valued here.

We know that it can be intimidating to jump into a new community and want to assure you that this is NOT the kind of forum where people will tell you that you posted something in the wrong place, or that you should have found an existing thread on the topic, or that you shouldn’t have resurrected an old thread.

So if you find a thread or an article discussion that interests you, whether it is old or new, feel free to jump in. Want to discuss a specific game or board gaming related topic just start a new topic. If you don’t know which forum to put it in, just make your best guess (we really don’t care all that much. It’s easy enough for a moderator to move it or merge it, if necessary).

A good place to get started is by introducing yourself in the “New Members Introduce Yourself” thread (below) or by telling us what you have been playing in the “What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?" thread ( therewillbe.games/forum/35-mos-eisley-ca...ave-you-been-playing ).

Have fun, and we look forward to hearing from you.

New Members Introduce Yourself

More
16 May 2021 10:40 - 16 May 2021 10:43 #323169 by Sagrilarus

Gary Sax wrote: Welcome!

No -- willkommen!
Last edit: 16 May 2021 10:43 by Sagrilarus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2021 10:54 #323170 by hotseatgames

Sagrilarus wrote:

No -- willkommen!

Wouldn’t that be Nein — Willkommen!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Sagrilarus

More
16 May 2021 11:09 #323171 by Sagrilarus

hotseatgames wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote:

No -- willkommen!

Wouldn’t that be Nein — Willkommen!

Oui.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
01 Jun 2021 02:53 #323601 by DavidNorris
Hi All,

Kind of new here?

Been playing board games on and off - mostly on - for the last decade. Been writing about board games for the last four. Munchkin and Settlers of Catan started it all, but now a days I've been enjoying Argent the Consortium, Terraforming Mars, and Oath?!?!

Always happy to have a chat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, mads b., jeb, Gary Sax, dysjunct, Dr. Mabuse, Sagrilarus, sornars, Erik Twice, Gregarius, DarthJoJo

More
01 Jun 2021 03:01 #323602 by Dr. Mabuse
Welcome!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DavidNorris

More
01 Jun 2021 11:43 #323611 by Gary Sax
Welcome!

More
06 Jun 2021 16:00 #323757 by GemTimeGames
Greetings, friends :) So happy to be here!

I'm just a guy who went through the mental and financial misery of getting an engineering degree, only to find out that I'd rather design some awesome strategy board games. So now I'm stuck finding time to do both at the same time haha. I made up my mind to focus on originality, player engagement, replayability, and fairness.

I've been looking forward to sharing my project with the board gaming world for three and a half years. It's called Gempire: Zarmund's Demands.
It is a hidden-action city-building game for 3-5 players that has different victory conditions every time you play! It also does not have any down time, since all players choose their actions secretly in private dry-erase planning books and reveal at the same time.

If this sounds interesting to you so far, check out the YouTube tutorial B)

More
08 Jun 2021 00:08 - 08 Jun 2021 00:10 #323791 by Kmann
A belated introduction here after 40 odd posts over the last month or so but hey... better late than never, right? :laugh:

I've been hanging around the site reading articles and the forums since ye olde F:AT days, arriving shortly after The BGG Wars and The Great Split.

I was pushed into becoming an active contributor after getting heavily into Marvel Champions over the last year and seeing the bustling forum thread for the game here. I figured if I was going to talk MC with a community it may as well be the one where I already knew-of many of the contributors and on a site that encouraged critical thinking and not given to excessive fawning/complaining.

Like most of the site's old timers my heart was in Ameritrash. Strategising, rolling dice and taking over the world with handfuls of minis to the wailing of my enemies aka friends. But also, like many here, my gaming tastes have changed over the years.

Currently, I'm near the middle of a Terminator: Genisys campaign with a pal. This is a very fun, Ameritrashy, co-op game. There's tactics, dice rolling, character upgrades, and a cool but not overwhelming amount of minis. It's b-movie fun and perfect for an evening of beer and pretzels.

And aside from that I'm alternating between Marvel Champions and an Arkham Horror LCG campaign. Very much digging both these games and usually play solo three-to-four times a week.
Last edit: 08 Jun 2021 00:10 by Kmann.

More
04 Aug 2021 06:20 #325190 by repairmanjack
Hi everyone. I'm Jason. I'm a teacher and writer, living in exile, having moved from the UK in December 2018 to the southwest of Germany. I'm an avid board and video-gamer, self-taught guitar player, comedian, reader, film enthusiast, husband, dad and daffy child at heart. For the past nine years, I've been enjoying a second childhood, having rediscovered my love of board games. (Although that implies that the first childhood somehow ended, which might not be the case...)

For the longest time I've been a solo gamer, although moving to Germany finally saw a game group come together - and I just enjoy playing whatever and whenever we can. (Apocalypse notwithstanding.) I have a pretty broad range of tastes: mid-to-heavy euros; narrative adventures; dungeon crawlers; family games, etc. I'm raising a daughter who's made her own way towards the hobby and we enjoy plenty of games together (her current favourite being the vastly under-seen Zoo Break).

I've been active on BGG for years (but only ever read the content here, despite checking in every day). I recognise a few of you from various social media sinkholes - and we've swapped words here and there, I'm sure.

Coming up on two years ago, I decided to wade out to slightly deeper waters in the hobby, and I started writing reviews - under the banner, "With a Deck of Fifty-One" - focusing on solitaire and co-operative gaming.

I enjoy writing about the hobby - although it does take time away from simply playing - and it's been nice to see a positive response to what I've produced. It even opened the door to a little work as a rulebook doctor, scribe and narrative consultant. Despite being a speck of dust in our hobby, after a while I began to get requests from several designers, publishers, and readers to create reviews of some competitive multiplayer games too. Given that some of my favourite games can only be played this way, it seemed churlish to resist - despite the square peg/round hole nature of its place in my writing project. I originally intended to create a separate list for those reviews, but if the film and music industries taught me anything its that spin-off projects are generally a masturbatory death-spiral - so everything I wrote was corralled in one place, a BGG geeklist. Anything I produce that isn't compatible with my solo/co-operative preferences is identified as "...a Significant Others review."

And, yes, I'm aware that makes me sounds like some sort of internet Burt Reynolds... but what can you do?

A few of my favourite games (because that's surely the best possible way to say hello to a gaming forum): Eldritch Horror; Arkham Horror (second edition); Mage Knight; Pax Porfiriana; Antike Duellum; Cave Evil; This War of Mine; La Granja; Crisis; Donning the Purple; Dominant Species; Navajo Wars; Viticulture; Shadows of Brimstone; Kingdom Death: Monster; Spirit Island; Le Havre; Fire in the Lake; Tales of the Arabian Nights; Tramways; Settlers of Catan; Letters from Whitechapel... I really will play anything (although I have almost no experience with social deduction and party games; the solo mode in those just lacks something).

Newer games that I've really loved include: Planet Apocalypse; Cosmic Frog; Monster Lands; SEAL Team Flix (my daughter is the reincarnation of Annie Oakley with this one). I just posted a preview of Lands of Galzyr, after ten hours of play, and I think it's the best narrative adventure game I've ever played.

I signed up, because I've always enjoyed eavesdropping on your conversations - and I'd like to get closer to just the social side of what we do, again.

I look forward to chatting to you, by and by,

J

More
04 Aug 2021 14:16 #325210 by southernman
I was really enjoying hearing about your fun until ..... I got to Viticulture :blink: ... :laugh:
Will enjoy hearing more of your pickles and chocolate tastes in the future.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
04 Aug 2021 14:39 #325212 by hotseatgames

southernman wrote: I was really enjoying hearing about your fun until ..... I got to Viticulture :blink: ... :laugh:
Will enjoy hearing more of your pickles and chocolate tastes in the future.

It picks back up around SEAL Team Flix B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus, Frohike

More
06 Aug 2021 07:21 #325273 by Dr. Mabuse

repairmanjack wrote: Coming up on two years ago, I decided to wade out to slightly deeper waters in the hobby, and I started writing reviews - under the banner, "With a Deck of Fifty-One" - focusing on solitaire and co-operative gaming.

I've been following your Instagram posts for a few months now, great stuff and welcome!
The following user(s) said Thank You: repairmanjack

More
14 Sep 2021 16:13 #326509 by CapAp
Hi, I'm CapAp. I got IP-banned from BGG for being mean to Octavian in private. A friend said this was the place for "acerbic jackassery" and I should check it out, so I am.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Sagrilarus, Msample

More
14 Sep 2021 18:31 #326511 by ubarose
Hi CapAp,

We don't condone being mean to people. However "acerbic jackassery" directed at board games and board game adjacent topics is pretty normal. Just don't be a dick.

Also, this is an inclusive site. We may trash talk, but we don't talk T.R.A.S.H.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., mezike, Frohike, sornars, Erik Twice, BillyBobThwarton, n815e, Kmann, CapAp

More
14 Sep 2021 19:46 #326513 by Sagrilarus

CapAp wrote: Hi, I'm CapAp. I got IP-banned from BGG for being mean to Octavian in private. A friend said this was the place for "acerbic jackassery" and I should check it out, so I am.

I'd be curious to know how many members from 2005 are still active on that site. You don't see the old guard very much.

What you playin' these days, Cap?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, CapAp

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds