October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Welcome to one of the oldest board game communities on the Internet. That may sound like hyperbole but it really is true.

We are really happy to have you here. Unfortunately, being online we can't bond with you over a game so you'd know right away how happy we are to meet you. For now, you'll just have to take our word for it.

This site has always thrived on lively discussion and spirited but civil debate. We hope that newcomers here will find a welcoming atmosphere where game enthusiasts of all levels of experience and commitment will have something to add to the conversation. You never need to prove your “gamer cred” here. Whether you have been playing board games for a few months or a few decades; whether you have a huge collection or a small one; whether you have been a member here for years or just joined today – your opinion is valued here.

We know that it can be intimidating to jump into a new community and want to assure you that this is NOT the kind of forum where people will tell you that you posted something in the wrong place, or that you should have found an existing thread on the topic, or that you shouldn’t have resurrected an old thread.

So if you find a thread or an article discussion that interests you, whether it is old or new, feel free to jump in. Want to discuss a specific game or board gaming related topic just start a new topic. If you don’t know which forum to put it in, just make your best guess (we really don’t care all that much. It’s easy enough for a moderator to move it or merge it, if necessary).

A good place to get started is by introducing yourself in the “New Members Introduce Yourself” thread (below) or by telling us what you have been playing in the “What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?" thread ( therewillbe.games/forum/35-mos-eisley-ca...ave-you-been-playing ).

Have fun, and we look forward to hearing from you.

New Members Introduce Yourself

More
10 Oct 2011 00:46 #105296 by tscook
23 year old with a love for wargames and sci-fi wargames, but I end up playing mostly euros. My video game consumption is close to nil at this point and most of my free time is towards chasing tail and getting a Geography degree at University of Montana.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, OldHippy, engineer Al

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2011 09:16 #105340 by Cogentesque
Hi all,

My name is Sam, live in Southampton UK and think boardgames are cool.

Trying to spread the message and the love and turning around all friends and families from monopoly and operation. *sigh* Anyone else have to fight for their right to game? Thought so.

I am actually originally from BGDF, then moved to BGG and then to hear with you guys - been reading a lot of posts and recently thought I may as well contribute :)

My main focus is boardgame design and am currently have AtomPunk in the works: a co-op post apocalyptic caravan puzzle game with laser beam trains (aww yeah) and would LOVE to hear any feedback at all.

Got into games really when I was super young, dad was into computer games and heavily went down the "lets make some games" path back in the days of the Atari - then headed into boardgames. I believe the first time we played any game like this was when I was about 8 and dad introduced D&D ver 2 to me and my brother - we had a great time!

First game I ever made I was about 7 and it was a 3D paper craft game of a fair-ground haunted house ride - it kicked ass even though there was no real "game" per se ¬_¬.

I am a website designer and marketing "dude" by trade and I love helping people out, any questions at all on anything I do or I don't know, I will try super hard to get you more knowledgeable.

Hope to spend many a pleasent day in here with you guys :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Matt Thrower, Notahandle, engineer Al

More
11 Oct 2011 09:22 #105341 by Matt Thrower

Cogentesque wrote: Hi all,

Yay, another UK FAT-tie! South and south west seems popular for some reason: myself, Jazzbeaux and Notahandle are all from the M4 corridor. So was Southernman before he imploded (and is sorely missed).

You'll be up for Trashfest in September 2012, I hope? Welcome on board - I'd buckle up if I were you, as it's a rough ride sometimes, but the places it takes you are entirely worth the bumps and bruises.

More
11 Oct 2011 18:28 #105365 by Camshaft
I promised I’d post here the next time this thread surfaced.

36-year-old RPGer at heart. Started playing Dungeons and Dragons right before the 1980s witch-hunt, which retarded my gaming development for several years.

I eventually got back into DnD, and later diversified into Rolemaster, then West End Games’ Star Wars, before creating a homebrew fantasy system that lasted me through my college years. Dabbled in a few others as well.

My hobby board gaming really started with 2nd Edition Talisman (although I’d been exposed to a few others through my best friend’s older brother), which I bought in the early 90s. When my gaming time got more precious due to real-life a decade or so later, I recalled my Talisman days and started getting into the board gaming scene in hopes of reliving some of the RPG experience in a few hours instead of a few months.

Some of my favorites include Arkham Horror, Twilight Imperium, Talisman 4th Edition, and Bang!, but due to twin 1 year-old boys, any sort of gaming is fairly rare, so I mostly live vicariously through this website. I also enjoy designing games for myself that I don’t foresee ever seeing the light of day, apart from a few friends and family members.

Donno, how much I will contribute. I am pretty much a lurker on any message board I go to, but there have been a few times here where I’ve felt I had something to say, but haven’t because I didn’t want to just come out of the blue. So anyway, that’s this gamer in a nutshell…
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Ken B., Dair

More
13 Oct 2011 14:57 #105463 by Cogentesque

MattDP wrote:

Cogentesque wrote: Hi all,

Yay, another UK FAT-tie! South and south west seems popular for some reason: myself, Jazzbeaux and Notahandle are all from the M4 corridor. So was Southernman before he imploded (and is sorely missed).

You'll be up for Trashfest in September 2012, I hope? Welcome on board - I'd buckle up if I were you, as it's a rough ride sometimes, but the places it takes you are entirely worth the bumps and bruises.

Sure man! What the hell is it? lol

Sounds good! I still need to understand what "ameritrash" is btw, I asked at bgg but I just got a seagull-like squabble of screaming answers telling each other one that they were wrong - miniature games like warhammer and ww2 stuff?

Southernman imploded? As in literally or figuratively or did he just stop coming here? Good to know that there are some UK boardgamers as friendly as yourself! :)

Looking forward to being a part of FAT more :)

Sam

More
13 Oct 2011 15:02 #105464 by Matt Thrower

Cogentesque wrote: Sure man! What the hell is it?

It's a mini game convention for UK users of this site that Jazzbeaux organised in Trowbridge this year. We're planning to do it again next year :)

Cogentesque wrote: Sounds good! I still need to understand what "ameritrash" is

It's an attitude. If you're here, and you haven't run away screaming yet, or blown your top because our taste in games does not meet mathematically precise definitions of quality, you've got it.

Cogentesque wrote: Southernman imploded? As in literally or figuratively or did he just stop coming here?

He stopped coming here, over some bad blood that got kicked all over the forums.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
13 Oct 2011 15:29 #105471 by Jazzbeaux

Sure man! What the hell is it? lol
<snip>
Looking forward to being a part of FAT more :)

Sam

As Matt said it was all day boardgaming at Triple Helix Wargames, last year I booked two tables while for 2012 I am planning on booking four tables! So we need all the players we can get.

Speaking of games we meet regularly in Trowbridge on Wednesday nights which is on a direct trainline from Southampton (or about 1 hours drive) if you are interested?

I am called Sam as well!

Sam M
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cogentesque

More
14 Oct 2011 09:37 #105542 by Cogentesque
Cool - that sounds mighty fun, I am going to have to arrange to come and see you I think - is there a page on here for it for details and times etc?

I am called Sam as well!

Sam M

*sigh*

...Sam Mercer

More
14 Oct 2011 14:38 - 14 Oct 2011 14:39 #105561 by Jazzbeaux
You would have to check TOS...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/975

Matt is on there as well.
Would be good to see you of an evening, but obviously can be more difficult. However we have a number of players that don't have children to keep them busy so you might be able to arrange something. Perhaps check out Triple Helix and rent a table for £4 for the day? Or Wassail Games meet on the 3rd Sunday of the month in Frome - some of the TBVGers go there.

Sam Marsh
Last edit: 14 Oct 2011 14:39 by Jazzbeaux.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
19 Oct 2011 06:15 #105825 by imrahil327
Hey all. I've had an account for a while but haven't posted here. I am a stay-at-home dad and an Advocate for the Star Wars CCG Players' Committee. I also run the main fan site for Warlord: Saga of the Storm CCG. I have shared a bed (and a pool) with Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Black Barney

More
19 Oct 2011 06:28 #105826 by Spinoza
I've been into Ameritrash since the old Game Master series. My board gaming has waxed and waned over the years but never entirely gone away. I spent much of the late 90's and early 2000's working on and playing my own version of Risk, which was probably the most chaotic and destructive board game ever made.

I bought Twilight Imperium on an impulse around 2005. It opened my eyes to modern AT and led to my discovery of Euro's. I opened an account on BGG just in time for the great AT-Euro flamewar. And made a couple of minor contributions to that discussion.

Anyway, life got crazy and I fucked off from the community.

Since then life has stayed crazy, but I've gotten to play way more games. I'm not like some people, because my attitude to buying a board game, is that I am getting one for life, so I buy fewer games, but plan on playing each of them a couple of times a year for ever. I have an ungodly amount of heroscape and about 75 other games. I like a lot of Euro's, but I love AT.

Occasionally I still tinker with amateur game design. I live in Toronto. And that's about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb

More
19 Oct 2011 12:00 #105837 by Hatchling

Spinoza wrote: I've been into Ameritrash since the old Game Master series. My board gaming has waxed and waned over the years but never entirely gone away. I spent much of the late 90's and early 2000's working on and playing my own version of Risk, which was probably the most chaotic and destructive board game ever made.

I bought Twilight Imperium on an impulse around 2005. It opened my eyes to modern AT and led to my discovery of Euro's. I opened an account on BGG just in time for the great AT-Euro flamewar. And made a couple of minor contributions to that discussion.

Anyway, life got crazy and I fucked off from the community.

Since then life has stayed crazy, but I've gotten to play way more games. I'm not like some people, because my attitude to buying a board game, is that I am getting one for life, so I buy fewer games, but plan on playing each of them a couple of times a year for ever. I have an ungodly amount of heroscape and about 75 other games. I like a lot of Euro's, but I love AT.

Occasionally I still tinker with amateur game design. I live in Toronto. And that's about it.

Welcome, fellow Torontonian! [nerd tangent]Are you also a B. Spinoza fan? Spinoza is an inexhaustible fountain of philosophical awesomeness.[/nerd tangent]

More
19 Oct 2011 16:38 #105874 by Spinoza
quote="Hatchling" post=105837]

Welcome, fellow Torontonian! [nerd tangent]Are you also a B. Spinoza fan? Spinoza is an inexhaustible fountain of philosophical awesomeness.[/nerd tangent][/quote]

I am indeed a Spinoza fan. He is philosophically awesome. I thought that I was the only person who was into AT and Spinoza, and I'm not the only one in Toronto. Now, I don't feel special.

Thanks for the welcome.

More
19 Oct 2011 18:20 #105883 by Ken B.

imrahil327 wrote: Hey all. I've had an account for a while but haven't posted here. I am a stay-at-home dad and an Advocate for the Star Wars CCG Players' Committee. I also run the main fan site for Warlord: Saga of the Storm CCG. I have shared a bed (and a pool) with Black Barney.

Imrahil from Decktech? If so, holy cow man, welcome!

More
19 Oct 2011 18:59 #105891 by Dr. Mabuse

Spinoza wrote: quote="Hatchling" post=105837]

Welcome, fellow Torontonian! [nerd tangent]Are you also a B. Spinoza fan? Spinoza is an inexhaustible fountain of philosophical awesomeness.[/nerd tangent]

I am indeed a Spinoza fan. He is philosophically awesome. I thought that I was the only person who was into AT and Spinoza, and I'm not the only one in Toronto. Now, I don't feel special.

Thanks for the welcome.[/quote]
Typical Torontonian reaction.

[Shouting gansta style]: WESS COAST!!!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.291 seconds