October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

It Came From the Tabletop! 2018 Halloween Special

More
29 Oct 2018 19:09 #284935 by Josh Look

Join Josh and Al as they run down what they played on "Spooky Game Saturday," featuring Fury of Dracula, Nyctophobia and Camp Grizzly.  Happy Halloween!

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2018 09:53 #284936 by Josh Look
Bumping this into the forums for discussion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
30 Oct 2018 12:31 - 30 Oct 2018 12:32 #284944 by WadeMonnig
Another FANTASTIC episode. Truly a great listen. You mentioned that two of the players (who I have dubbed the Puffinstuf twins due to Al calling them Sid and Marty Krofft) were basically lite gamers. What was their opinion of the game length? I really want to get the latest edition of Fury for my home group (Wife, Cousin, Sister in law, Teen age kids) but worry I will lose them on how long the game takes to complete. I have been using Whitehall Mystery as my Gateway to see if Hidden Movement would be a smash hit, and it has floundered a bit, most likely because I didn't emphasize the co-op nature and how they should really talk it out. (I was Jack during the games, so I wasn't being too helpful in suggesting ways to track me down). Also, I think one of the joys of these games is figuring that out for yourself, what works and what doesn't, those AHA! moments.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2018 12:32 by WadeMonnig.
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
30 Oct 2018 13:17 #284949 by Josh Look

WadeMonnig wrote: Another FANTASTIC episode. Truly a great listen. You mentioned that two of the players (who I have dubbed the Puffinstuf twins due to Al calling them Sid and Marty Krofft) were basically lite gamers. What was their opinion of the game length? I really want to get the latest edition of Fury for my home group (Wife, Cousin, Sister in law, Teen age kids) but worry I will lose them on how long the game takes to complete. I have been using Whitehall Mystery as my Gateway to see if Hidden Movement would be a smash hit, and it has floundered a bit, most likely because I didn't emphasize the co-op nature and how they should really talk it out. (I was Jack during the games, so I wasn't being too helpful in suggesting ways to track me down). Also, I think one of the joys of these games is figuring that out for yourself, what works and what doesn't, those AHA! moments.

They knew that it would be a long game, so they signed up with that in mind. I’ve found that so long as a game is engaging throughout and accessible enough so that new gamers down have spend their game sweating the rules, longer games can go over well. My brother doesn’t play a lot of games, but he willingly sit down at Firefly anytime because the game is just that good and easy to get into.

The thing about hidden movement games that tough though is that you have to teach two separate games and the appeal of the game as whole doesn’t become apparent until you see both sides. It helped in our case that Shellie and Al were able to help those guys out because they play a ton of games and know FoD really well. As much as I love it and want to help sell copies of it, I know it has a huge potential to fall flat due to how vastly different the two sides are.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, WadeMonnig

More
30 Oct 2018 14:14 #284955 by Legomancer
Hoping to try out Camp Grizzly and Nyctophobia at Trashfest!
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al, WadeMonnig

More
30 Oct 2018 14:27 #284958 by Josh Look

Legomancer wrote: Hoping to try out Camp Grizzly and Nyctophobia at Trashfest!

Let’s make plans to play Camp Grizzly. I’ve never played anything with you and it’s like go past due I did.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer, WadeMonnig

More
30 Oct 2018 15:36 #284960 by engineer Al

Josh Look wrote:

Legomancer wrote: Hoping to try out Camp Grizzly and Nyctophobia at Trashfest!

Let’s make plans to play Camp Grizzly. I’ve never played anything with you and it’s like go past due I did.

I am so ridiculously in for this!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look, WadeMonnig

More
30 Oct 2018 22:30 - 31 Oct 2018 20:28 #284973 by Sagrilarus
I thought of Sucking Vacuum when you were discussing leaving someone behind in Camp Grizzly. In Sucking Vacuum you need two people to escape, and only two can fit in the escape pod. Everyone else is left behind. So the end of the game is often quite amusing.
Last edit: 31 Oct 2018 20:28 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, engineer Al

More
31 Oct 2018 17:56 #285029 by Dr. Mabuse
Nice work, I bought Camp Grizzly after listening to the podcast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look, engineer Al, WadeMonnig

More
31 Oct 2018 19:30 #285035 by Josh Look

Dr. Mabuse wrote: Nice work, I bought Camp Grizzly after listening to the podcast.

Let us know what you think!

More
31 Oct 2018 20:24 #285038 by WadeMonnig
I checked out the Facebook of Ameritrash games, I hope they follow though with the expansions showing up on the webstore this winter! www.facebook.com/AmeritrashGames

More
31 Oct 2018 20:59 #285041 by engineer Al
@ Sag- I checked out Sucking Vacuum on TOS. Beautiful Sci-Fi game that looks like I would love it. Also has a rating of 5.6 which means that Josh would love it! (he's a sucker for games rated 6 or lower) Hopefully someday we will be able to play it with you!

@ Doc M.- I'm sure you will enjoy it!

@ Wade - SWEET! I am super excited.

Thanks to all for listening. HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

More
01 Nov 2018 08:56 #285052 by Legomancer
I want to make Al's laugh a notification on my phone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look, engineer Al, WadeMonnig

More
01 Nov 2018 16:50 #285102 by WadeMonnig

Legomancer wrote: I want to make Al's laugh a notification on my phone.

I was going to mention I love his laugh but then I thought maybe he would be self conscious about it and wouldn't do it as much, then I would be sad.

More
02 Nov 2018 15:47 #285161 by engineer Al

WadeMonnig wrote:

Legomancer wrote: I want to make Al's laugh a notification on my phone.

I was going to mention I love his laugh but then I thought maybe he would be self conscious about it and wouldn't do it as much, then I would be sad.

Not something anyone has to worry about. When Josh and I do these podcasts we are sitting across the table from each other, face to face having a conversation about the games we just played. Just as we have done every Thursday for years and years. Josh takes care of all the recording and editing, so I'm just having another conversation with Josh where we are talking about games and making each other laugh. Everything else fades away once we start talking. I can't imagine that will ever change!

I am however, looking into a copyright for the laugh notification...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds