Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

GCACW (Great Campaigns of the American Civil War)

More
12 Feb 2020 00:44 #307045 by Gary Sax
David Docktor has been putting up some amazingly good AARs about the tourney scenarios in these games:
www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2367654/mir...ysburg-roads-gettysb

These scenarios are just long enough to be interesting. I still think the game is made for long campaigns but it just isn't realistic unless you have a head to head player and a separate game room or drop surface in your table.

I almost got out one of my GCACW games out this evening and set it up even though I never would get a scenario in time to get the game done.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2020 23:44 #307079 by Gary Sax
You know I'm itching to play when I start mammoth task of clipping one of these games (Roads to Gettysburg II)

More
15 Feb 2020 01:04 - 15 Feb 2020 01:04 #307132 by Gary Sax
Got all of Roads to Gettysburg and Atlanta is Ours clipped, took 2 straight days and I can barely flex my hand at this point. Set up one of the 1 turn scenarios from Atlanta is Ours (Resaca), forgot what a cool package it is.

Last edit: 15 Feb 2020 01:04 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Frohike

More
16 Feb 2020 00:56 #307153 by Gary Sax
This is one of the better one turn scenarios (Resaca):

Games like this make me want to spend thousands of dollars on a gaming table with a drop surface, it would let me play the long scenarios and even a campaign more easily.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
21 Feb 2020 23:01 #307360 by Gary Sax
Played a longer scenario, Kennesaw Mountain. God it is fucking hard to attack as the Union in this game with lower tactical values.

More
20 Jan 2021 00:19 #318199 by Gary Sax
I'm in a super weird gaming place right now, but the only place I currently want to spend my time is grinding away at old wargames (you want to do Imperial Struggle again Not Sure ;) ). Let me know if anyone wants to do any VASSAL of this series, ideally in real time with Discord comms. I know it's a real long shot.

More
16 Apr 2021 10:39 - 16 Apr 2021 10:40 #322191 by Gary Sax
I am the only one posting in this thread and I don't give a fuck.

Hood Strikes North, the latest entry, is shipping now. I still really like MMP's preorder model, charges when shipped. Very expensive products but I get it, it's a very limited audience with solid production values (for wargames).

mmpgamers.com/index.php?main_page=produc...th=14&products_id=92

This one is intended as an entry level design, with smaller battles and two limited forces. I'm looking forward to this as the last couple games have been pretty titanic in scale. Nevertheless, they all have the one turn scenarios, so I'm not sure how truly bad any given entry is for beginners. The Ed Beach team is best in class in my opinion.

Stonewall Jackson's Way II on both of the two Bull Run battles is also restocked. It's *very* good and a very good package for beginners as well.
Last edit: 16 Apr 2021 10:40 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Not Sure, sornars, charlest

More
20 Apr 2021 23:20 #322377 by Gary Sax
Got my copy of this today. This is one of the series I wish I had one of the nice drop tables for, this series plays great solo but it requires a lot of time.

More
06 Aug 2022 23:01 - 06 Aug 2022 23:10 #334880 by Gary Sax
mmpgamers.com/on-to-richmond-ii-the-union-strikes-south-p-367

FYI, the next game in this series is up. It takes the old Grant Takes Command module and bundles it with the amphibious invasion in 1862 (On to Richmond) and adds a new Petersburg campaign on the end of the war where Grant finally takes apart the confederacy for good. They feature the most beautiful maps in all of gaming, in any type of game. They are even more compelling if you're American, since there aren't really that many games with detailed operational level maps of the United States. These games also have *great* VASSAL modules if any of you ever want me to teach you the system.

These are super expensive games but they are so full of scenarios and campaigns they're worth it if you're into wargaming. You could game for a logn time on just one of these boxes. Ed Beach taking his shot at redesigning and developing On to Richmond is particularly welcome, as that is a complicated and confusing campaign ruleset that is long out of print but is potentially extremely intriguing to receive the Beach treatment.

Also, they have a skirmisher magazine out (#3). It should be coming in in the next week, I'll post back and let you know how it is.
Last edit: 06 Aug 2022 23:10 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Msample, sornars, Dive-Dive-Dive!, remotegamer

More
01 Jan 2023 08:04 #337681 by remotegamer
Hi all, sending a message from Australia. Started buying these games a few years ago - horrendously expensive to get them posted to us here on the other side of the world, which probably shows why there are very few FtF players I can find. Had a couple of goes solo, but pretty keen to find someone who wants to do a PBEM game for any of the series, using Vassal, and Discord -couple of turns a week.

Let me know.

Cheers

More
01 Jan 2023 10:19 #337683 by Gary Sax
I'm pretty busy in another long campaign game so not a good fit. But, a month ago I found out there is a GCACW discord run by Ed Beach with a solid number of people playing. That's probably your best bet. When I'm at a computer one of these days I'll see if I can find it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, sornars

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.696 seconds