Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

OGRE PBEM

More
03 Feb 2009 13:37 - 03 Feb 2009 13:40 #19681 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re:OGRE PBEM
And the Ogre file is unzipped and I open the ReadMe and ...
Fuck all about how to install on a Mac.

EDIT- Looks like they can be put anywhere you like and you open them with the menu file command.
Last edit: 03 Feb 2009 13:40 by Notahandle. Reason: "VASSAL Fucking Dick then Bullshit"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2009 13:43 #19683 by timeLESS
Replied by timeLESS on topic Re:OGRE PBEM
Yeah, once you start up VASSAL you direct it to wherever you have put the module file.

More
03 Feb 2009 14:01 #19689 by Notahandle
Unfortunately all the files produce an error message "Invalid Import File. The file ____ cannot be imported into VASSAL."
But opening the Unix Executable File named "OGRE" does work. Presumably (for any module) picking the biggest file of that type should do the trick. However, now I'm curious to know what the 'Import' menu item is for?

More
03 Feb 2009 14:17 #19693 by timeLESS
what version of VASSAL are you running? can you give me the Download location of the module you are trying to run? i can take a look and see if it works over on my side of the screen.

More
03 Feb 2009 14:28 #19699 by Notahandle
I downloaded this:-
JoelCFC25 wrote:
"Personally, I would not recommend downloading VASSAL from the Download link on their main page--it only sends you to outdated ways of installing outdated software. For some reason they can't be bothered to shepherd people to the latest beta (which you really want to be using instead of the old 3.0.x releases). They'll announce a new beta on the home page, but not with a hyperlink. Annoying.
www.vassalengine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1599
That'll give you a link to the 3.1 beta 8 (last beta release before 3.2) disk image."

Seems okay, but I noticed in the Ogre Quick Start Guide it describes some icons as "Communication tools for server rooms (See Vassal handbook for details.)" Does anyone who's used Vassal before have a link to these (assuming they exist)?
Next: reading the Ogre User Guide.

More
03 Feb 2009 14:30 #19700 by timeLESS
Get latest VASSAL here: www.vassalengine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1599

do NOT get the version on their homepage, its outdated.

Get your OGRE module here: www.members.shaw.ca/dylango/ogrevassal/

Unzip the module to wherever you feel like

Open VASSAL -> File -> Open Module -> direct to where you unzipped the module -> choose the OGRE file -> play !

hope that helps you some

More
03 Feb 2009 14:32 #19701 by timeLESS
you should have the right version then. Earlier you were talking about " importing " files. Try " open module " instead.

More
03 Feb 2009 14:53 #19717 by JoelCFC25
Replied by JoelCFC25 on topic Re:OGRE PBEM
Notahandle wrote:

Unfortunately all the files produce an error message "Invalid Import File. The file ____ cannot be imported into VASSAL."
But opening the Unix Executable File named "OGRE" does work. Presumably (for any module) picking the biggest file of that type should do the trick. However, now I'm curious to know what the 'Import' menu item is for?

The Import function is for module designers...it's basically the equivalent of "opening" a module, but purely for editing purposes.

You want to be playing a module, so File -> Open Module is the way to go. When I open 3.1 beta 8 on my machine, it puts a big bold To start playing notice in the middle of the screen, then tells me to open it from the File menu.

At this point I believe dragging and dropping modules onto the main VASSAL window will also put them in your library.

More
03 Feb 2009 14:57 #19722 by Notahandle
timeLESS wrote:
"Get latest VASSAL here: www.vassalengine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1599 "
Did that, it's the link JoelCFC25 gave.
"Get your OGRE module here: www.members.shaw.ca/dylango/ogrevassal/ "
Found that too.
"Open VASSAL -> File -> Open Module -> direct to where you unzipped the module -> choose the OGRE file -> play !"
Discovered that after trying Import.

JoelCFC25 wrote:
"The Import function is for module designers...it's basically the equivalent of "opening" a module, but purely for editing purposes."
Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

More
03 Feb 2009 14:59 #19723 by JoelCFC25
Notahandle wrote:

Seems okay, but I noticed in the Ogre Quick Start Guide it describes some icons as "Communication tools for server rooms (See Vassal handbook for details.)" Does anyone who's used Vassal before have a link to these (assuming they exist)?
Next: reading the Ogre User Guide.

"these" = Communications tools icons? Or the VASSAL handbook?

In any event, you won't be seeing these icons until you get a few steps further along. You'll have to successfully open the module. Then you'll be prompted to enter a screen name and a password (this is to keep your pieces visible to just you in games, I believe). Finally you'll be prompted to choose if you'd like to load a saved game, play offline, or join an online game.

Once you attempt to join an online game is where you'll need the buttons for creating game rooms or connecting to someone else's game.

More
03 Feb 2009 18:28 - 03 Feb 2009 18:29 #19777 by Notahandle
JoelCFC25 wrote:
""these" = Communications tools icons? Or the VASSAL handbook?"
Oops, these=it, i.e. the handbook (a link to the buttons makes no sense).
"Then you'll be prompted to enter a screen name and a password"
Hopefully this is the same as the ones I used to register with the website.
The rest of it'll have to wait until another day as I also have the Ogre rule book scan to read (it's been a long time).
Last edit: 03 Feb 2009 18:29 by Notahandle.

More
03 Feb 2009 20:39 #19795 by JoelCFC25
Notahandle wrote:

Hopefully this is the same as the ones I used to register with the website.

Nope, this is a per module requirement, and it can be whatever you want it to be (different for each module, if you fancy confusing yourself).

More
03 Feb 2009 22:33 #19811 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:OGRE PBEM
If anyone is ready to get started, PM me with your choice of side (Ogre or bloodpuddles) and your choice of software (Vassal or Cyberboard) and I'll get you going. Don't worry about it if you don't know the rules...I'll "teach".

More
04 Feb 2009 07:41 - 04 Feb 2009 09:34 #19861 by Notahandle
JoelCFC25 wrote:
"Nope, this is a per module requirement, and it can be whatever you want it to be (different for each module, if you fancy confusing yourself)."
They love needless complication don't they? For comparison, BSW is a straightforward download and the main pane has games ready to start (you can also use a menu to go to a game specific room). But best of all, if you haven't played the game before it'll automatically download the necessary files. Unfortunately, it's an Ameritrash-free zone.

Michael Barnes wrote:
"If anyone is ready to get started, PM me ... Don't worry about it if you don't know the rules...I'll "teach"."
Please send me the link to the scanned rules when you have a chance. Thanks.
Last edit: 04 Feb 2009 09:34 by Notahandle. Reason: "He Fucking Dick then Bullshit"

More
04 Feb 2009 09:33 - 04 Feb 2009 09:35 #19873 by Notahandle
Ogre seems fine, apart from the Ogre User Guide displaying pictures on top of some of the text making parts unreadable.

However, All Things Zombie, Dreamblade, Ghost Stories, Manoeuvre, and RoboRally appear to have no file that will actually open. For the remaining forty-five modules I'll wait until someone mentions that they work, as I'm not prepared to waste of time any further. Why are module creators uploading them before they're actually playable?

Perhaps we should have a thread for listing VASSAL modules that actually work?
Last edit: 04 Feb 2009 09:35 by Notahandle. Reason: "He Fucking Dick then Bullshit"

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds