Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

Through the Ages

More
05 Feb 2009 14:02 #20171 by Beisaic
Replied by Beisaic on topic Re:Through the Ages
I've been wanting to try this out, as well as learn how to use Vassal. You can count me in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2009 14:10 #20172 by hancock.tom
Replied by hancock.tom on topic Re:Through the Ages
Moss, I'm a fan of TTA but I have to admit your graphic is pretty fucking accurate.

I still think its the best 3 hour civ game out there (I haven't played Mare Nostrum yet if that matters)

More
05 Feb 2009 14:22 #20174 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:Through the Ages
If it works in Mac VASSAL, I'll sign on. PBEM equivalent, right? I can't do any real-time shit, I'm totally covered in young children.

More
05 Feb 2009 14:26 #20175 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:Through the Ages
haha, classic moss icon.

More
05 Feb 2009 14:28 #20176 by hancock.tom
yeah I would prefer PBEM equivalent too- game is well suited to it and although i have no kids I am probably too busy to do realtime

More
06 Feb 2009 07:14 #20279 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Re:Through the Ages
Yes, PBEM.

So the player list is ...

Me
Jeb
Tom Hancock
Tom Hazlett

Everyone mail me at matt *underscore* thrower *at* hotmail *dot* com and we'll get things rolling by next week.

More
06 Feb 2009 10:02 - 06 Feb 2009 10:52 #20301 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:Through the Ages
I'll start reading the rules now since I'm off work due to the snow - they didn't grit many roads last night and all the routes out of my suburb go up hills just steep enough to prevent cars getting enough traction .... plus they're going to make me redundant mid-year so I wasn't feeling the love for them.
There's a player aid or two and a spreadsheet card list over at TOS, I've grabbed the player aid but is it worthwhile getting the card sheet - it's a bit big (lots of pages) so just need to know if the information is useful for us noobs in a pbem game ?

UPDATE:
Is it just me or does the Vassal module have the game board in giant size and then only have a magnify (+) button instead of a shrink (-) ? Even the minimum size of the player mats are massive.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2009 10:52 by southernman.

More
06 Feb 2009 10:59 - 06 Feb 2009 12:06 #20318 by southernman
Ah - VERY important point here. Due to where I work (financial) our IT environment is very tied down (even for us IT people) and that includes internet mail access and what I can run on my work laptop, so I can only do turns at night and in the weekends.
If this is going to slow the game down (since it is a 4-player and is going to take awhile anyway) then I'm happy to stand aside for someone else.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2009 12:06 by southernman.

More
09 Feb 2009 17:57 #20634 by southernman
I've sent off turn 2, thank God we only get limited actions the first round 'cos I've been slack and not read much of the rules. Still can't understand why they made the boards so bloody big as the base size and only allowing you to magnify it !

More
10 Feb 2009 19:44 #20741 by jeb
Just so's I'm not crazy, I'm waiting for hancock.tom to finish his turn 1, right?

More
10 Feb 2009 23:53 - 11 Feb 2009 07:38 #20758 by hancock.tom
Right Jeb, but it looks to me like Southern hasn't finished his turn yet- I emailed everyone about it.

I can only do turns at night and on weekends too. Hopefully that isn't a problem.

Tom

EDIT: Yeah, that was my problem. Older version of Vassal didn't like the logfile. Southern was fine.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2009 07:38 by hancock.tom.

More
11 Feb 2009 09:11 #20776 by southernman
hancock.tom wrote:

Right Jeb, but it looks to me like Southern hasn't finished his turn yet- I emailed everyone about it.

I can only do turns at night and on weekends too. Hopefully that isn't a problem.

Tom

EDIT: Yeah, that was my problem. Older version of Vassal didn't like the logfile. Southern was fine.

Thank God - because I have the latest version on teh Vassal site (3.01) but the module says it was created with Beta 3.1 something, so I thought my version was causing the trouble.
Now Tom is ready to whup our asses.

More
11 Feb 2009 12:34 #20821 by jeb
Yeah, I've got the mouse in one hand and the rules in the other. I'm pretty sure I'm humped.

I could only see hancock.tom's turn in the logfile though, so perhaps all is not well. I'm using beta 8, 2.46 of the module.

I took Julius Caesar, who's apparently crappy, and Library of Alexandria, which may or may not be crappy, given how little I know of this game ;)

More
11 Feb 2009 13:05 #20828 by Octavian
Replied by Octavian on topic Re:Through the Ages
I like Caesar, but you gotta know how to use him.

Aggress!

-MMM

More
11 Feb 2009 13:44 #20840 by hancock.tom
I haven't figured out how to use Caesar. I'm not enough of a planner to be able to build a decent infrastructure and a good military both early on. I'm more of a infrastructure now, arms race later type of player.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds