Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

What TTS Mods are you playing?

More
04 Sep 2020 05:39 - 04 Sep 2020 05:52 #313765 by mezike
With the surging popularity of remote gaming and TableTop Simulator appearing to be the weapon of choice, I thought it would be good to share experiences with TTS mods - which ones are implemented well and have a good user experience.

Right now there is a bit of a lean toward Cole Wherle games, and it's unsurprising as the mods all seem to be excellent (quite likely due to both Cole and Patrick Leder being so supportive of TTS as a platform for marketing and playtesting) and the games lend themselves well to this format - Root, John Company, Pax Pamir, Oath. I also took a look at another recent Leder game Fort, haven't played with it yet but the mod is again very well put together.

Here's a few others that I've tried:

Camp Grizzly (by Flebsy) - well put together with usable scripting that works well and genuinely aids play. Players generally follow the action around the playing area so it flows well. The game is very interactive with lots of talk so it feels very fulfilling to play over voice chat.

Leaving Earth + Stations (by Keanno and Samuelw) - the multiplayer game has never really worked for me so I only use this for solo play, however I would say that this digital version is easier to use than the physical copy particularly because one of the game mechanisms involves constant shuffling of very small sets of two or three cards.

Tumblin Dice (by Thosw) - nice little filler/icebreaker which makes good use of the ingame physics. Also beats having to constantly pick dice up off the floor.

Patchwork (by FestiveKyle) - delightful, calm and unassuming two player game which is implemented well and is nice to play while having a chat with a friend. Some very useful scripting that sets up the game and counts buttons in your supply.

Nexus Ops (by OmniKnight) - I love the game but found it to be really awkward to play in the mod. I think the problem is that you have to zoom around a lot to see what is going on from all angles when in real life you would just lean over or turn your head.

Flamme Rouge (by Happy Lemonman) - this is a relatively recent addition to the workshop and deals with some of the problems of previous ones by supplying pre-made tracks and alternative playing pawns that are much easier to distinguish than the assets previously used. This is one of my all-time favourite games and works well in this format if you have a group that like to be vocally active. Some of the scripting feels like it is getting in the way but all in all this is a great mod.

Spirit Island (by error) - another great game that feels somewhat lacklustre in digital format. I wrote more on this in our Discord channel, but in general this is a game that really benefits from players interacting and discussing a whole variety of little things going on in different places of the playing area which is so much easier with the physical game laid out in front of you. Online play felt a little too siloed in comparison.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2020 05:52 by mezike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2020 08:40 #313767 by the_jake_1973
I tend to get my mods in the workshop rather than DLC, so judge me as you will. In writing these down, I realize that I need to get my core group on a group chat and get us playing these.

Techno Bowl - There is a very good mod out there for this game and a recent batch of fan driven rules that streamlines the game as well. The same fans have a fairly active Discord server with a surprisingly global, to me, footprint for an American Football board game.

4T4 - This is an unofficial mod but the best/only one out there for Memoir 44 and the expansions. I can just as easily play on Vassal for the game, but this give it a bit more life. I have made a couple of Vassal scenarios into downloadable game files for 4T4 to speed setup. I need to do more.

Red Dragon Inn - A favorite game among my friends, this mod is even used by Slugfest games to test out new characters before release. You can always find a game or two of this being played.

Man O War - GWs fantastic ship combat game. It was developed by fans who have a long history with the game including the Sea of Claws group members.

Merchants & Marauders - My favorite pirate game. Very nice implementation.

Champion Formula Racing - I've not have a chance to dig deep into this one, but I believe people are making new courses and modernizing old Speed Circuit ones.

Commands and Colors Ancients and Nappy - Another one that can be played just as easily on Vassal, but more lively here. The game I mean, finding active players is still a challenge as always.

Supremacy - Mostly downloaded for nostalgia. Let's face it, I am NEVER going to be able to acquire a full set of this game and expansions again for anything less than a kidney.

Flash Point - Another table favorite. I have not played it since I have trouble getting my IRL board game friends to buy into the TTS for some reason.

Warhammer Quest - This is the original game, also known as the best of the Quests (by me). I have all the stuff in a PnP format, but this allows me to solo easily on the computer and avoid taking over the dining room table.

Richtofen's War - Still one of my favorite WW1 air combat games. I just need to find players.

Relic - A good recreation of the board game. I have not tried it much sorry to say.

Bloody Inn - Good implementation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
04 Sep 2020 09:52 - 04 Sep 2020 17:09 #313768 by sornars
One big addition to the list of good TTS mods is the Arkham Horror LCG Super Complete Edition. It was removed from the workshop but is still actively maintained elsewhere - I play this exclusively two-handed solo (but would be happy to try it multiplayer!) and think that playing this on TTS is far easier than setting up the game in real life. There are plenty of quality life improvements included such as the automatic import of decks from arkhamdb.com
Last edit: 04 Sep 2020 17:09 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
04 Sep 2020 15:02 #313780 by JoelCFC25
My friends and I have had good times lately with Root, Pax Pamir, Flamme Rouge, Pan Am, and are dipping our toes into Oath.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
05 Sep 2020 12:56 #313794 by Ah_Pook

sornars wrote: One big addition to the list of good TTS mods is the Arkham Horror LCG Super Complete Edition. It was removed from the workshop but is still actively maintained elsewhere - I play this exclusively two-handed solo (but would be happy to try it multiplayer!) and think that playing this on TTS is far easier than setting up the game in real life. There are plenty of quality life improvements included such as the automatic import of decks from arkhamdb.com

How does one go about playing a game that's not in the workshop?

More
05 Sep 2020 13:24 - 11 Jan 2021 04:24 #313795 by sornars
They’re distributed as TTS save files which can be loaded like any other save file, they’re JSON files that you just pop into the default save directory. The entire game state is stored in the save and assets are loaded dynamically from third party image hosts. If you’re looking for Arkham LCG specifically I can PM the instructions, there’s a discord server where the maintainers post the updated files.

Edit: See Varys's post here: therewillbe.games/forum/boardgames/20754...ame?start=210#317637
Last edit: 11 Jan 2021 04:24 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jumblewombat

More
05 Sep 2020 13:34 #313796 by Ah_Pook
I would be into such a PM, thanks :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
22 Dec 2020 14:38 #317446 by Seahades
I also would like such a PM if still relevant. Thx!

More
10 Jan 2021 19:50 #317918 by Ysbaddaden
I would also be interested in a PM if this is still active

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds