Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

Memoir '44 on Vassal email game?

More
02 Apr 2009 02:31 #25040 by ozjesting
I "think" I know how to do this. I used to play a heap of Blood Bowl in the email state, and I also did some Battle Lore through Vassal a year or so ago. As I am the type of person who only knows how to do something when I need to be knowing it I will be a bit rusty. But since I have clues that I have done it before, I am likely to figure it out again.

So some basic Memoir anyone? I am not up on the Air Pack rules, but am pretty ruled up on the rest of it.

I am also usually pretty online between 10am and 3pm Australian Eastern Time, so if that is your time frame, it should go pretty fast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2009 18:49 #25252 by ozjesting
So...is it that no one plays Memoir '44 anymore? Or is email version just not the go?

More
05 Apr 2009 20:52 #25255 by generalpf
The e-mail version kinda sucks because it renders Ambush cards useless. You could just play without them (discard and draw again when you get one) but that card is too much fun.

More
19 Apr 2009 06:44 - 20 Apr 2009 10:11 #26320 by southernman
Have only just found this (very short) thread - was started and ended while I was on holiday down under.

I always keen for Vassal PBEM, never tried online due to being either busy or lazy in the evenings.

Have managed to use the Ambush card in PBEM quite successfully with a few different opponents. It does require that both of you have the integrity to want to play the game for the game's sake which then removes the likelihood of someone cheating. There are a couple of ways to do it - in order of my preference, they are:

1) Nearly the Same as the Game.
- As you are playing through your opponent's turn, choose which combat you want to use the card in as per a normal game (requires that you choose a combat before it occurs, once it starts and you've seen his dice you cannot change your mind and rewind back to select it for the ambush).
- Start your log file.
- Play the card and resolve your battle.
- Continue playing out your opponent's, making corrections for any his current attack and any remaining attacks that could no longer work because of the results of your ambush.
- Replace your ambush card.
- Play your turn normally.
- Save log file and send back.

2) Exactly the Same as the Game.
- As you are playing through your opponent's turn, choose which combat you want to use the card in as per a normal game
- Start your log file.
- Play the card and resolve your battle.
- Save the log file and send back to your opponent to continue his turn that you have interrupted.
Note: This has the disadvantage that the player ambushed loses the results of any combats the followed the ambushed combat and can upset tightly strung opponents, and also makes the game a bit longer and a bit more complicated in turn numbering.

3) Easiest and Least like the Game (used a lot by M44 players but not me).
- You play through your opponents turn, then rewind to where you want to ambush and start the log file from there.
I personally would not play a game under this option.

I don't worry about cheating in PBEM as anyone could do it anytime (just by restarting your turn in a new log file until you get dice rolls you like) so no point - anyway, Vassal dice hate me.
Last edit: 20 Apr 2009 10:11 by southernman.

More
19 Apr 2009 21:12 #26347 by ozjesting
PM sent to you Southernman if you are keen to have a game!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds