Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

Interest in a PBEM Blood Bowl league?

More
02 Apr 2009 05:26 #25042 by Matt Thrower
I'm not promising anything here ... I'm merely canvassing interest to see if anyone would like to be involved in a PBEM Blood Bowl league.

There's no Vassal or Cyberboard modules but there does seem to be a custom tool for the job. I've not used it but there are a lot of ongoing leagues around on the net.
www.blood-bowl.net/PBeMTool/

Would anyone care if I extended the invitation to members of my former GW games group?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2009 05:36 #25043 by schlupp
I think I could be interested. I've played F2F a couple of times and have all the stuff still back home. But I have no idea how a PBEM league works. Most important questions for me: 1. how time-consuming is this (how much time per game and per season) and 2. is it fun?

More
02 Apr 2009 06:29 #25044 by Matt Thrower
Schlupp wrote:

I think I could be interested. I've played F2F a couple of times and have all the stuff still back home. But I have no idea how a PBEM league works. Most important questions for me: 1. how time-consuming is this (how much time per game and per season) and 2. is it fun?

Good questions

1) I doubt it'll be very time consuming but it will take a long time. This would be international and that means there will be people playing who can't do better than one move/day. And with 32 turns overall in each game you're likely to be looking at waiting 1-2 months between rounds.

2) I've never tried BB PBEM so I don't know. However I've played a lot of other stuff via email and my general experience is that whilst it's always less fun than playing face-to-face, it's often not a lot less fun. Blood Bowl is actually a fairly slow, analysis-heavy game in which players take very discrete turns so it should work quite well via email.

More
02 Apr 2009 07:20 #25047 by mjl1783
I'd be interested if you can get it going. I can't remember the campaign rules for the game, and I can't remember whether or not I have them. What's this FUMBLL thing I keep hearing about?

More
02 Apr 2009 08:08 #25050 by Matt Thrower
mjl1783 wrote:

I'd be interested if you can get it going. I can't remember the campaign rules for the game, and I can't remember whether or not I have them. What's this FUMBLL thing I keep hearing about?

The rules are free and available online:
www.bloodbowlonline.com/Rules.shtml

FUMBLL is a java client for playing real-time matches over the internet. I've never used it and I'm not suggesting we use it for this league. I'm after PBEM play.

More
02 Apr 2009 14:02 #25086 by MattFantastic
I've never played but I have the rulebook (probably not the most up to date edition though). I'd be into playing and likely getting smashed by people who knew what they were doing.

More
02 Apr 2009 14:08 #25087 by metalface13
Fumbbl is awesome. It works really well. It keeps track of all the rules for you, tackle zones, forcing you to make your dodge rolls, keeps track of experience earned, injuries etc. It is awesome.

I've tried to get a fumbbl league going in the past, but nobody seemed interested. I'd prefer fumbbl to PBEM, but I could go with PBEM. What do I need to play via PBEM?

More
02 Apr 2009 15:39 #25092 by lj1983
i'd be interested...i've played blood bowl years ago, but I can read rules as well as anyone

More
02 Apr 2009 18:42 #25101 by mjl1783
I don't know, wouldn't PBEMing a Blood Bowl season take quite a long time? I think we're talking about a year's commitment at least.

More
02 Apr 2009 19:01 #25103 by ozjesting
Busy day here so no time to talk extensively, but in short; PBBEM Blood Bwl is fun! But the tools you use are very much like vassal. So you have to be on your toes rules wise..and you are always sure to check the log ;)

FUMBBL is the way to play for right on fun as it is live. The problem though with a FAT league would be the worlds time zones. If I had a match against someone on the opposite side of the clock it gets hard to schedule a time to play.

I will look up my old pbem bb stuff through the weekend and report back here early next week.

More
02 Apr 2009 20:41 #25108 by metalface13
Hmm ... that's looking like a Windows only thing ... not good for us Mac users.

More
02 Apr 2009 23:16 #25113 by Count Orlok
I would also be interested. What would be the limits of teams? I've only ever played the ones out of the box, so color me excited!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds