Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA PLAY-BY-FORUM--SESSION 1

More
23 Apr 2009 11:37 #26708 by Ken B.
Okay. We're going to get the ball rolling by getting this shebang at least partially started.

First, some ground rules.

#1. Use this thread ONLY for game-specific discussion.
#2. NO secret conversations by email. All communication in-game must be done in this forum.
#3. NO editing of posts. Anyone who edits a post will have repurcussions that will affect them negatively--most likely having their character thrown in the brig, or having random cards discarded, depending on my whim. DO NOT EDIT YOUR POSTS.
#4. "Meta" conversation--regarding game setup, or rules questions, or things of that nature--should be posted in the sister thread found here: http://fortressat.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=712&func=view&catid=30&id=20734

#5. This is my first time running Battlestar Galactica by forum. In fact, this is my first time running ANY game by forum. I anticipate a slower pace for our first game, and mistakes will likely be made, and questions will arise. Bear with me--I'm in this so you folks can have fun, and I have no desire to screw anyone over by tripping over a rule or miscommunicating something. I am your benign Dungeonmaster. I do not care who wins. So take it easy on me, bear with me, and if you have questions, don't worry, I will too.

There are all the ground rules for most of the external issues surrounding our game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2009 11:45 #26710 by Ken B.
The following text was lifted from the SomethingAwful forums, where playing BSG by forum was made into an art form. I believe user CharlieFoxTrot is responsible for the creation of these, and I wish to give full credit for them. I will be using additional text and materials and will credit each of them in turn.

Lifted text is as follows:

Welcome to Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game, a game of politics, betrayal, and survival!

The rules for Battlestar Galactica can be found at this link: http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Battlestar_Galactica/bsg-rulebook-web.pdf

Some things have been tweaked to help facilitate online play:

At the bottom of every GM post, there will be a helpful Action Queue that announces what we are waiting for to continue the game. This will usually be the current player's move/action, but could also include such things as a decision from the President/Admiral. If you are at the top of the Action Queue, you have 24 hours to post/PM to complete it. Once the 24 hours pass, time will be deducted from a 24-hour late time bank; once that bank is used up, the top of the action queue will be auto-resolved, usually as a "do nothing" action.

All game actions should be bolded in Mafia style (eg: ##move to Communications or ##use "Executive Order" on Helo).

Quorum Cards and Skill Cards will be delivered to the players via PM/AIM. If your draw is straightforward (eg: Adama) your cards will be auto-drawn for you at the beginning of your turn. Players with multi-skills (eg: Apollo) or abilities allowing them to draw cards (eg: Baltar) need to post in the thread what type of card they are drawing (eg: ##draw 1 Politics 1 Engineering). Similarly, you'll discard by PMing me the cards you want to get rid of. Discards are to be posted openly in the thread.

Skill Checks are handled slightly differently than in the regular rules. It is the responsibility of the player after the current one to start playing cards and initiate the check; players may discuss all they want before the check starts, but as soon as the player after the current one announces he's throwing down cards (eg: ##play 3 cards), ALL DISCUSSION IS PROHIBITED until everyone has played cards and the Skill Check is resolved. Players must announce the number of cards they are playing in the thread, then PM me the specific cards they are playing. This can be done in any order. Once everyone has PMed me, the check will be resolved.

Abilities which require specific timing (eg "Investigative Committee" must be played before cards are played for a Skill Check) must obey that timing; no retroactive use of abilities is allowed. However you may "pre-load" actions; (eg: ##If my Viper is attacked, I'll use "Evasive Maneuvers" .) This must be posted in the thread. Pre-loading should be done via PM.

Players do not choose the order in which Cylon ships are activated, as in the normal rules. Instead, ships are activated starting in Sector Alpha and proceeding clockwise around Galactica.

Players may not edit their posts. EDITING POSTS WILL GET YOU THROWN IN THE BRIG OR RESULT IN RANDOM CARD DISCARDS FROM YOUR HAND!

More
23 Apr 2009 11:49 #26711 by Ken B.
TURN ORDER:

Here are our participants, and the turn order has been decided thusly:

ozjesting
Shellhead
Death and Taxis
KingPut
drmabuse00
Southernman

More
23 Apr 2009 11:57 #26713 by Ken B.
IT IS NOW TIME TO CHOOSE CHARACTERS. THIS WILL BE DONE BY TURN ORDER. PLEASE NOTE YOUR POSITION IN THE TURN ORDER AND CHOOSE A CHARACTER WHEN IT IS YOUR TURN.

Remember the rules for character selection: You must choose from the position (Military, Politics, Pilot) that has the most left, or choose the Support character Galen Tyrol. In the case of a tie, you may choose which you'd like to have.

EXAMPLE: There are 3 Military, 2 Pilots, 2 Political, and 1 Support. You may choose a Military character or Support character.

EXAMPLE #2: There are 2 Military, 2 Pilots, 1 Political. You may choose either Military or Pilot.

EXAMPLE #3: There are 2 Military, 1 Pilot, 1 Political. You MUST choose a Military character.

Military Leaders

William Adama (Leadership/3, Tactics/2)
Inspirational Leader -- When you draw a Crisis Card, all 1 strength Skill Cards count positive for the skill check.
Command Authority -- Once per game, after resolving a skill check, instead of discarding the used Skill Cards, draw them into your hand.
Emotionally Attached -- You may not activate the "Admiral's Quarters" location.

Saul Tigh (Tactics/3, Leadership/2)
Cylon Hatred -- When a player activates the "Admiral's Quarters" location, you may choose to reduce the difficulty by 3.
Declare Martial Law -- Action: Once per game, give the President title to the Admiral.
Alcoholic -- At the start of any player's turn, if you have exactly 1 Skill Card in you hand, you must discard it.

Karl "Helo" Agathon (Leadership/2, Tactics/2, Piloting/1)
ECO Officer -- During your turn, you may reroll a die that was just rolled (once per turn). You must use the new result.
Moral Compass -- Once per game, after a player makes a choice on a Crisis Card, you may change it.
Stranded -- Your character is not placed on the board at the start of the game. While not on the game board, you may not move, be moved, or take actions. At the start of your 2nd turn, place your character on the "Hangar Deck" location.

Political Leaders

Laura Roslin (Politics/3, Leadership/2)
Religious Visions -- When you draw Crisis Cards, draw 2 and choose 1 to resolve. Place the other on the bottom of the deck.
Skilled Politician -- Action: Once per game, draw 4 Quorum Cards. Choose 1 to resolve and place the rest on the bottom of the deck. You do not need to be President to use this ability.
Terminal Illness -- In order to activate a location, you must first discard 2 Skill Cards.

Gaius Baltar (Politics/2, Leadership/1, Engineering/1)
Delusional Intuition -- After you draw a Crisis Card, draw 1 Skill Card of your choice (it may be from outside your skill set).
Cylon Detector -- Action: Once per game, you may look at all Loyalty Cards belonging to another player.
Coward -- You start the game with 2 Loyalty Cards instead of 1.

Tom Zarek (Politics/2, Leadership/2, Tactics/1)
Friends in Low Places -- When a player activates the "Administration" or "Brig" location, you may choose to reduce or increase the difficulty by 2.
Unconventional Tactics -- Action: Once per game, lose 1 population to gain 1 of any other resource type.
Convicted Criminal -- You may not activate locations occupied by other characters (except the "Brig").

Pilots

Lee "Apollo" Adama (Piloting/2, Leadership/Politics/2, Tactics/1)
Alert Viper Pilot -- When a viper is placed in a space area from the "Reserves", you may choose to pilot it and take 1 action. You may only do this when you are on a Galactica location, excluding the "Brig".
CAG -- Action: Once per game, you may activate up to 6 unmanned Vipers.
Headstrong When you are forced to discard Skill Cards, you must discard randomly.

Kara "Starbuck" Thrace (Tactics/2, Piloting/2, Leadership/Engineering/1)
Expert Pilot -- When you start your turn piloting a Viper, you may take 2 Actions during your Action Step (instead of 1).
Secret Destiny -- Once per game, immediately after a Crisis Card is revealed, discard it and draw a new one.
Insubordinate -- When a player chooses you with the "Admiral's Quarters" location, reduce the difficulty by 3.

Sharon "Boomer" Valerii
(Tactics/2, Piloting/2, Engineering/1)
Recon -- At the end of your turn, you may look at the top of the Crisis Deck and place it on the top or bottom.
Mysterious Intuition -- Once per game, before resolving a Skill Check on a Crisis Card, choose the result (Pass or Fail) instead of resolving it normally.
Sleeper Agent -- During the Sleeper Agent Phase, you are dealt 2 Loyalty Cards (instead of 1) and are moved to the "Brig" location.

Support Crew

"Chief" Galen Tyrol (Engineering/2, Leadership/2, Politics/1)
Maintenance Engineer -- During your turn, after you use a "Repair" Skill Card, you may take another action (once per turn).
Blind Devotion -- Once per game, after cards have been added to a Skill Check (but before revealing them), you may choose a skill type. All cards of the chosen type are considered strength O.
Reckless -- You hand limit is 8 (instead of 10).

More
23 Apr 2009 22:29 #26801 by ozjesting
The time has come!

ozjesting scans the available characters and announces...

Karl "Helo" Agathon reporting for duty Sir!

More
24 Apr 2009 00:21 #26805 by Shellhead
I'm Lee Adama.

More
24 Apr 2009 01:04 #26808 by DeletedUser
Laura Roslin

I am not a Cylon.

More
24 Apr 2009 01:45 #26810 by KingPut
My name is Saul Tigh and I'm an Alcoholic

More
24 Apr 2009 09:02 #26826 by Ken B.
All choices thus far valid and accepted:

ozjesting--Karl "Helo" Agathon
Shellhead--Lee Adama
Death and Taxis--Laura Roslin
KingPut--Saul Tigh

dmrabuse00 is next to choose and must choose one of the remaining Political Leaders, Pilots, or Support.

Followed after his choice will be Southernman.

More
24 Apr 2009 09:31 #26835 by Dr. Mabuse
I'm Kara "Pew Pew" Thrace.

More
24 Apr 2009 12:02 #26866 by southernman
so I must be Gauis Baltar ... well I think I am .... [stop doing that too me, people are watching]

and PLEASE no spoilers. I have bought the box set and am just getting near the end of season 2 (just watched Scar and Blackmarket).

More
24 Apr 2009 13:15 #26877 by Ken B.
All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again.

The roles have been chosen:

ozjesting--Karl "Helo" Agathon

Shellhead--Lee Adama

Death and Taxis--Laura Roslin

KingPut--Saul Tigh

drmabuse00--Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

Southernman--Gaius Baltar

More
24 Apr 2009 13:17 #26878 by Ken B.
Here is what happens next.

Tonight (my time) I will deal out the loyalty cards as specified, via PM. Once you have received your loyalty card, I will need you to confirm it on this thread, "So Say We All."

Be on the lookout. A strange music is stirring, a forgotten melody. Any one of you could be a Cylon.

More
24 Apr 2009 13:19 #26879 by Ken B.
One extra administrative note:

Many forum players have found it easier to change their avatars to match their current characters while participating in the online game. I would ask that either you do this, or when posting in this thread be sure to include a picture of some sort (or other indication) of what character you are. This will make it easier on all players--and occasionally the moderator--to keep everything straight.

More
25 Apr 2009 00:23 #26915 by Ken B.
Loyalty Cards Have Been Dealt.

#ozjesting (Karl "Helo" Agathon) is dealt one loyalty card!

#Shellhead (Lee Adama) is dealt one loyalty card!

#Death and Taxis (Laura Roslin) is dealt one loyalty card!

#Kingput (Saul Tigh) is dealt one loyalty card!

#drmabuse00 (Kara "Starbuck" Thrace) is dealt one loyalty card!

#Southernman (Gaius Baltar) is dealt two loyalty cards!

When you have accepted your destiny as it has been revealed to you thus far, please respond, "So Say We All."

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds