Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA PLAY-BY-FORUM--SESSION 1

More
10 Aug 2009 14:11 #37386 by Shellhead
Sorry that I couldn't help, guys.

All I had was:

1 - Evasive Maneuver
1 - Evasive Maneuver
1 - Evasive Maneuver

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2009 14:27 #37390 by southernman
Ken B. - thank you for the awesome effort you have put into producing a brilliant atmosphere and narrative for our game.

On the negative - your dealing frakking stinks ! Just for all those who thought it seemed I was making fuck all effort in the skill checks, these are the skill cards values Ken dealt me in the game:

1111214111131121221 => average 1.47

Feel much better now - thankyou.

More
10 Aug 2009 14:37 #37392 by DeletedUser
Thanks Ken for all your hard work and thanks guys for a fun introduction to BSG. I rarely get the chance to try before I buy, but if I had any doubts before about whether BSG was for me, I have none now. Great game!

More
10 Aug 2009 14:49 #37394 by Dr. Mabuse
HUGE FUCKING THANK-YOU KEN!!!

Alright for the record I was not a Cylon in the 1st half of the game. There was a point where I had a choice to move a civvie ship or do something else. I chose not to move the ship (and I believe I tried to attack a basestar with Galactica's weapons) as I knew there was nothing aboard it. There was a lot of suspicion cast upon me by my choice of action and I was hoping that a raider did move on it to prove my innocence but it never happened.

I had a great time playing with you all!

More
10 Aug 2009 14:52 #37395 by Shellhead
Southernman wrote:

Ken B. - thank you for the awesome effort you have put into producing a brilliant atmosphere and narrative for our game.

On the negative - your dealing frakking stinks ! Just for all those who thought it seemed I was making fuck all effort in the skill checks, these are the skill cards values Ken dealt me in the game:

1111214111131121221 => average 1.47

Feel much better now - thankyou.

My average was 1.93, also somewhat low. I got a couple of fours, but never any fives.

More
10 Aug 2009 14:56 #37397 by Ken B.
This was such a pleasure, guys.

I don't think if I ever run another I will be able to put as much effort and flavor into it, so this one was truly special.

I can NOT believe that this went from human sleepwalk to crushing Cylon victory so damned quickly. Bam! Bam! Bam! Just like that. Incredible!

Starbuck's reveal was pretty brilliant, being prefaced by an EVASIVE of all things.

Helo's timing on his Super Crisis was aces, and that's where the game tipped straight to hell for the humans.

Roslin dodged at least one Cylon Attack through her power.

Due to a bad shuffle, three Cylon Attack cards were clumped together near the bottom. That further led me to believe that the humans were going to sleepwalk through the whole game.

Anyway, great fun, nicely played, and WOW never seen a game of BSG go to hell quite that bad, and that quickly. Congrats to the Cylon players!

More
10 Aug 2009 17:35 #37406 by KingPut
Ken B. wrote:

This was such a pleasure, guys.
I don't think if I ever run another I will be able to put as much effort and flavor into it, so this one was truly special.
I can NOT believe that this went from human sleepwalk to crushing Cylon victory so damned quickly. Bam! Bam! Bam! Just like that. Incredible!
Starbuck's reveal was pretty brilliant, being prefaced by an EVASIVE of all things.
Helo's timing on his Super Crisis was aces, and that's where the game tipped straight to hell for the humans.
Roslin dodged at least one Cylon Attack through her power.
Due to a bad shuffle, three Cylon Attack cards were clumped together near the bottom. That further led me to believe that the humans were going to sleepwalk through the whole game.
Anyway, great fun, nicely played, and WOW never seen a game of BSG go to hell quite that bad, and that quickly. Congrats to the Cylon players!

Great game. Thanks for running this Ken. Helo's timing was perfect and Starbuck throwing in the Evasive before I XO Starbuck was key. I was going to play it safe and XO Apollo but I figured he was so low on cards that he couldn't do much. I had a feeling Starbuck was Cylon but Evasive made me think twice.

Was anyone a Cylon at the start or were they both sleep cell Cylons?

More
11 Aug 2009 02:38 #37427 by ozjesting
THANKS TO YOU KEN!

So much effort...but know it was indeed SO much fun! Life got crazy somewhere in the middle and I didn't get to be as vocal as I had originally intended...but glad that the schedule and time difference never really led to any major delays caused by me.

From your very first big flavour post I knew we were in for something special and you never once let us down! THANKS again mate!

As to recap thoughts...I was a Cylon from the word go ;) It was me that spiked the first crisis card check that was figured out early...but happily it was Apollo and Starbuck I think that caught more of the flak. I was worried early about Southermans ability to cause a ruckus...and was ever so grateful to see him turn sympathizer as I was sure he was on to me.

Other than that early skill check there wasn't much I could do to cause early trouble though. I thought long and hard about my reveal, and almost thought to delay it...but without a good hand to cause trouble and things gettng iffy...I took my chance coming out when I did. That I got such a good Super Crises was some great luck...and the chance o takeout comm and flight deck were a great duo!

That was the end of it from me really. One bold move and that as that ;)

I had a great great time and thank all of you for playing with such great spirit!

I would love to do it all again with you all over a real board one day!

More
11 Aug 2009 07:28 #37429 by southernman
You'll have to save up like me and aim to make Trashfest or WBC one year.

I was a bit suspicious of you but since Apollo already had 'claimed' a noob mistake I gave you the benefit of the doubt too - but by halfway you were definitely in the upper area of my cylon list ... and then I was swayed to follow the true stream so alternated between picking on Apollo and Starbuck hoping to confuse Tigh, who seemed to have done far too much far too well to be a cylon, and cause distrust.
I think you definitely need a cylon to reveal early second half (at the latest) just so to get a (hopefully) nasty Super Crisis out and to have someone to control the fleet in case it quickly grows in numbers. It did help that halfway was 4 rather than 6 though.

I would like to think my prophesising that Starbuck would reveal if the Admiral XO'd her that turn was enough from me to make Tigh think that Starbuck wasn't the cylon, but it seems she had done enough previously for him to favour her over Apollo.

More
11 Aug 2009 09:51 #37435 by Ken B.
I was thinking Starbuck was holding on too long...thinking, "Is there going to be a reveal or not?"

Finally earning Tigh's trust...getting the XO...making him burn a turn when the ship was surrounded by toasters...then following up with a Super Crisis...THEN a regular Crisis from Baltar...boom, all she wrote. Wow.

But it was definitely the FTL -3...RIGHT when it actually cost all three steps, back to 0...that put Galactica in such freaking hot water. Boom, instant fleet. What a nasty Crisis card that one is.

More
11 Aug 2009 09:53 #37436 by Ken B.
Oh, and never making it past the sleeper phase jump, and blowing up Colonial One, lol...'twas a good time to be a Cylon, but it usually is where BSG is concerned!

More
11 Aug 2009 10:29 #37438 by Dr. Mabuse
Ken B. wrote:

I was thinking Starbuck was holding on too long...thinking, "Is there going to be a reveal or not?"

Poor Baltar was becoming frustrated and I wasn't sure that I was totally free of suspicion so I tried to use that by inferring that either him or Helo still held the last "You are a Cylon" loyalty card. If anything I hoped that he or Helo would give a loyalty card to Laura or Apollo, relieving the pressure I was feeing or by putting it out there reassure the humans that I was not a Cylon.

Also my reveal power was kinda weak, as it only affected those players on board Galactica. Being able to use it during an XO would allow me have a turn to cause more damage. It was a risky move, but I felt time was on our side as the FTL drive was so far back. If I could have used it on anyone, I would have chosen Apollo, for obvious reasons.

More
11 Aug 2009 14:58 #37485 by DeletedUser
It did turn to custard all so very quick. The first half of the game, it felt like we were cruising and I was quietly confident we might pull off a great Human victory. But boy, then we really got bogged down and we just couldn't get any traction. I was worried when Southernman turned sympathiser, because he was giving us a lot of good advice based on past experience with the game up to that point. After that, it truly started to feel a bit lonely being a human. I never did get a chance to use my quorum card ability, not that it probably would have made much difference all said and done.

More
12 Aug 2009 01:56 #37522 by southernman
And I hope that my constant mouthing off and chipping away annoyed the shit out of you humans !

More
12 Aug 2009 02:30 - 12 Aug 2009 02:30 #37524 by DeletedUser
Southernman wrote:

And I hope that my constant mouthing off and chipping away annoyed the shit out of you humans !

Yeah, sometimes it was hard to know whether you were in character or not. :o)
Last edit: 12 Aug 2009 02:30 by DeletedUser.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds