Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

The F:AT Diplomacy Game Thread

More
13 Jul 2009 11:31 #34664 by Aarontu
quozl wrote:

If I counted right, there's 7 of us interested. We just need one more so we'll have someone to run the game (which I can do on dipbounced.com if you'd like).

Actually, this may be the best way to go. I've never actually played before so I'm probably not the best person to run a game. I'd love to play though (and I don't care about what country I get).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2009 14:08 #34690 by quozl
If that's the way we all want to go, everyone register on dipbounced and reply here with your dipbounced username. I'll start an invite-only game and invite everyone.

But we still need one more player!

More
13 Jul 2009 15:13 #34700 by MattFantastic
Username: Loter

Any tips for really handy stuff that's easy to miss or really wonky stuff to watch out for in the interface?

More
14 Jul 2009 13:59 #34900 by quozl
It's a pretty simple interface but once the game is started, I'll double the length of the first turn so people can get used to it and ask questions. Everyone OK with 48 hour turns, no weekend deadlines?

More
15 Jul 2009 02:37 - 15 Jul 2009 02:43 #34996 by Dogmatix
username: dogmatix
48-hour turnaround and no weekend limits sounds good to me.

After the first week, folks may want to note when the judge decides on when the clock for "the weekend" starts and ends since I suspect we're scattered across 3 to 5 time zones...

@ Loter: One interesting thing is that it doesn't do auto-checking of order syntax like the old email judges I played generally did. It means you can screw up your orders [which I think everyone on the planet does at least once], but it also means you can write deliberately broken orders to cover up your stabbing ways.

One slightly wonky thing is that for convoys, *all* sea zones must be specified to make it a valid move. I seem to recall in F2F pen-n-paper games, you could use shorthand to convey the convoy order [though it's been a loooong time since I played w/pen and paper]. The PBEM tools usually require convoys to be 100% explicit for each step, else they fail. That seems to be the case with Dipbounced.

If anyone doesn't have the rules [or, more likely, since everyone here has different versions with slightly different rulesets] handy, they can be found here:

www.diplom.org/~diparch/diplomacy_rules.htm

As far as I can tell the 1971 GRD and 1976 Avalon Hill rules are identical
. 1982 was the revised Avalon Hill edition that addressed some of the years of people bitching about the convoy rules. The article about "The Rulebook Contradiction" concludes with a funny note about that.

Anyway, not sure what ruleset we want to use as reference, but we should probably pick one and make sure everyone is looking at the same one for any questions that arise. That way we can cite chapter and verse when we whine at Quozl ;)

[And I really don't care which nation I get either--Germany and Italy can be rough going, but, then again, I've never claimed to be a GOOD Dip player in the past, just an enthusiastic one :)]
Last edit: 15 Jul 2009 02:43 by Dogmatix.

More
15 Jul 2009 03:49 #34998 by Matt Thrower
Registered as mattdp

More
15 Jul 2009 06:13 #35003 by KingPut
If you need a 7th. I love a challenge so you can stick me with Italy.

More
15 Jul 2009 07:15 #35006 by Aarontu
Registered as Aarontu.

I'll be out of town next week, though.

More
15 Jul 2009 11:54 #35031 by lj1983
registered as lj1983

More
15 Jul 2009 16:06 #35113 by quozl
Looks like I have 5 registered dipbounced.com usernames. Just two more!

More
15 Jul 2009 18:27 #35137 by Dogmatix
KingPut wrote:

If you need a 7th. I love a challenge so you can stick me with Italy.

Hey Pete. You're our 7th! We're using an online mapping and adjudication system to minimize the headaches. Quozl has (really and truly) graciously offered to GM, so head to www.dipbounced.com and register there and post your dipbounced user name here so Quozl can get the game set up and ready to roll. Thanks a bunch man!

More
15 Jul 2009 18:37 #35139 by KingPut
Cool, I'm registered as KingPut

More
15 Jul 2009 21:25 #35151 by quozl
OK, who's missing a username?

More
16 Jul 2009 03:50 #35184 by Matt Thrower
I'm out of town next week as well. I'm happy if we're randomly assigning positions, but for obvious reasons I always prefer to play England :)

More
17 Jul 2009 17:44 #35408 by Dogmatix
I count:

KingPut
Dogmatix
Aarontu
Loter
lj1983
MattDP
Quozl [are you playing or just GM'ing?]

Schweig isn't available until late Sept. Do we need an 8th or are you OK with GM & playing...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.575 seconds